Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’ve been hearing a ton about the Focus RS having headgasket issues.

I just bought a new Focus ST (which also has the Ecoboost engine) and am wondering if I’m going to have the same problem.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The main serious problem with the ST is a piston or two breaking the rings and then self destructing. killing the motor.
Nearly all the problems with this have been in cars with a programmed TUNE. or a aftermarket BOV (blow off valve) (not stock cars)
Though at least two folks have reported this problem with stock engines.
(which I have read here or at focusst. org)
It is not a common failure.
But is one reason to be sure to use a good top tier 93 octane gas

·
Administrator
11,866 Posts
Mmm.... I'm worried lol 55k miles

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Lmao, yeah that's straight contamination.

Obviously a proper troubleshoot needs to be done by a competent mechanic. Signs are pointing to either a blown headgasket, or block/head damage. She is toast for now.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
68k miles and stage 3 tuned

engine is strong, comp tested at 60k. Black Lab oil tested the last oil change.

knocking hard on wood but I hope to make it to 200k before putting in a fresh built motor and turning this into a weekend only car with around 375hp

·
Registered
812 Posts
68k miles and stage 3 tuned

engine is strong, comp tested at 60k. Black Lab oil tested the last oil change.

knocking hard on wood but I hope to make it to 200k before putting in a fresh built motor and turning this into a weekend only car with around 375hp
None of the Blackstone oil analyses were bad so this is definitely an odd one

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
None of the Blackstone oil analyses were bad so this is definitely an odd one

you talking about coolant in your oil? well send in a sample to Blackstone Lab and I would assume it will not come back positive. maybe not though, not sure what you have going on there. may not have got in your oil? oil change yet?

I was just referring to my car and the health of it, I have been tuned for a long time and have 68k on the motor and car and 0 issues

·
Registered
812 Posts
you talking about coolant in your oil? well send in a sample to Blackstone Lab and I would assume it will not come back positive. maybe not though, not sure what you have going on there. may not have got in your oil? oil change yet?

I was just referring to my car and the health of it, I have been tuned for a long time and have 68k on the motor and car and 0 issues
Be careful! That's what I said to my BMW M friends for making fun of the fact I have a Ford and then this happens lol. Don't jinx yourself!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Mmm.... I'm worried lol 55k miles

Ouch. Yeah this is painful to look at honestly. Sorry for your loss brother, I'll pour one out for you. Let us know what the verdict becomes.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Ouch. Yeah this is painful to look at honestly. Sorry for your loss brother, I'll pour one out for you. Let us know what the verdict becomes.
If you want, I can pour you a freshly brewed, nice and hot sample haha.

I guess the real question is that if this isn't covered under warranty, what are next steps? I could buy a used motor for ~$1.5k. Not going to get an upgraded long block because this is my DD and I have no intentions of going the long run. Or I could part out and get into an M3, but I feel like parting out would be a PITA because the inside of my car is in such good shape.

Luckily, if Ford does deny me coverage, I have a friend who is a good wrencher and would let me help for a discounted price.

Will keep all updated!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
If you want, I can pour you a freshly brewed, nice and hot sample haha.

I guess the real question is that if this isn't covered under warranty, what are next steps? I could buy a used motor for ~$1.5k. Not going to get an upgraded long block because this is my DD and I have no intentions of going the long run. Or I could part out and get into an M3, but I feel like parting out would be a PITA because the inside of my car is in such good shape.

Luckily, if Ford does deny me coverage, I have a friend who is a good wrencher and would let me help for a discounted price.

Will keep all updated!

I certainly hope that the warranty picks it up, but if not..at least our engines aren't "that" bad cost wise...and having a discounted ability to swap it out is certainly a plus!

Reactions: jjc034
1 - 20 of 48 Posts