Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This Write up is for anyone looking to add a little something something to the lighting game of their car as a fun little weekend project!

View attachment DSC02942.jpg
View attachment DSC02936.jpg

Parts List:
70mm halos of your choice
RF/ BT controller
JB quick weld
Retrorubber or equivalent sealant
Wire strippers
Electrical tape
Lots of Zip-ties
Clamps
Oven
Flat Head Screwdrivers

The Disassembly:

Bake them lights, I did 250 for 5 minutes at first and discovered that the permaseal was not soft enough yet. After throwing them back in for 3 more minutes they seemed soft enough to separate.

IMG_0459.JPG.jpeg

I personally think 8-10 min is a perfect amount of time to soften up the seal between the lens and the housing. To separate them I found the best technique was to grab a couple flat blade screwdrivers and to start from the bottom or one of the sides and separate the lens until you can get another screwdriver inside. Next you can pry up on the lens until you can get your fingers in there and pull the lens off of the housing.

Once the lenses are off, the next feat is to clean out the channels where the old sealant was. The easiest way to do so from my experience is to heat the housing and lens again in the oven for a couple minutes then take a screwdriver or a razor blade and dig the old sealant out. I recommend taking your time on the step as the new seal will depend on how well you were able to clean out the channel.

IMG_0464.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0467.JPG.jpeg

The Mounting:

Now we can mock up the halo I use the 70 mm MoriMoto XB halos with an RF controller. These halos sit around the outside ring of the fog bezel, if you want the halo to sit inside of the bezel you could probably use a 60mm, but I love the way these turned out and I think a smaller halo would have taken away from the overall appearance, but I digress.

IMG_0469.JPG.jpeg

I did get a little ahead of myself on this next part and didn't realize that I would have to route the wires through the fog bezel, so first I marked up the halo and there are three mounting points that you can use to mount the halo to the bezel. What I did was mark on the bezel with a sharpie where these tabs would line up, used an exacto knife to make a small hole and then I ran fishing line through to secure the halos.

IMG_0471.JPG.jpeg

After securing the halos I test fitted the bezels in into the shroud and realize that I would have to route those wires into the shroud otherwise it would look like poo. So next step was to drill out a hole in the shroud so that I could run the wires under the reflector and out of the back of the fog. After making the hole and fishing the wire through I resealed the hole with JB quick weld.

IMG_0480.JPG.jpeg

After the weld was dry, I fished the wire out of the back of the lights. Reassembled the bezel and started sealing them back up. My sealant of choice is retro rubber. I measured out the channel of the light, cut the sealant to length, and used clamps to apply pressure and heat gun to create a seal once again. You'll want to slowly work your way around the outside of the fog light making sure the lens seats itself back where it was from the factory. If you get sealant coming out of the outside of the channel, that means you're doing it right.

IMG_0485.JPG.jpeg

After the lens was back on, I resealed the final hole in the back of the fog light that we made to fish the wires through with more JB Weld.

IMG_0488.JPG.jpeg

The Install:

The morimoto XB's that I used in this build have a very straightforward install. The halos plugged into the controller and the controller needs a 12 V power source, and a ground. For the power source, I used the DRL or parking light wire of the headlight harness for power, that way they are on whenever those strips are given power. For ground, I tagged the factory ground location to the right of the battery for a fail proof ground.

Next route the wires as you so choose being wary of anything that may get excessively hot. I chose to run them above the crash bar along a little channel up top. Use a liberal amount of zip ties to secure them. Now you can reinstall your fog lights and test out the halos!

Hope you guys thought this write-up was helpful,

Let me know if you have any questions!

More images can be found here:

https://imgur.com/gallery/8daXy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For some reason the attachments aren't working on my end, if you follow the link below there are a bunch of images from the build

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
Getting an error on imgur's site also.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I still can't see any of the pics either. Very interested in seeing how they came out.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Ok the bottom link to imgur worked at least. Those look pretty neat. I take it they are on a switch you installed somewhere? I'd do something like this if I felt more comfortable breaking apart the fogs. You took a lot of plastic off there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok the bottom link to imgur worked at least. Those look pretty neat. I take it they are on a switch you installed somewhere? I'd do something like this if I felt more comfortable breaking apart the fogs. You took a lot of plastic off there.

I actually wired them up to the ST3 DRL/ parking light wire for a 12V source. That allows for all of the wiring to be done inside of the engine bay, also the halos will turn on or off whenever those strips are on.

The fogs were FAR easier than the headlights to open. I recommend starting here if you ever plan on retrofitting anything lol

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I actually wired them up to the ST3 DRL/ parking light wire for a 12V source. That allows for all of the wiring to be done inside of the engine bay, also the halos will turn on or off whenever those strips are on.

The fogs were FAR easier than the headlights to open. I recommend starting here if you ever plan on retrofitting anything lol
Do you not have control over changing the color then?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you not have control over changing the color then?
You still do! The forum only lets me post 10 pics on the original write-up, the color change is controlled via an RF remote. As long as they are getting power you can change the color, brightness, and fade abilities of the halos.

Very cool setup

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
You still do! The forum only lets me post 10 pics on the original write-up, the color change is controlled via an RF remote. As long as they are getting power you can change the color, brightness, and fade abilities of the halos.

Very cool setup
Ah, that's very cool indeed. Until you lose the remote, lol. I'd have some 3M tape on the back of that and have it mounted somewhere if it was me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts