Ford Focus ST Forum banner

101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
37 MPG?? Wtf. Im averaging about 24.5 on the highway only and 22 everywhere else. How is everyone getting these insane numbers??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Same here and with the stock tune!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
When you decide to buy one, you'll have to let us know ;)

Speaking of, make any moves yet? These cars are only getting older.
He's not buying a ST or RS, he'll be on the C-Max forum soon!!

Reactions: PokerRun388

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #103

Someone on the RS forum just asked about prices on the RS. He’s looking at a ‘16 SG in Colorado. I inquired about the same car & the salesman told me flat out “the price is non negotiable “. I laughed & hung up.... I’m just telling you because I’m not allowed to post on that site anymore.

But to answer his question, yes the prices are absolutely inflated. No way a ‘16 RS out of warranty is worth $38k, but someone will overpay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
It wont be me.... Personally, I would only buy a 18'+ that is still under warranty with under 10K miles but I would expect to pay $40K+ for it since the MSRP on a 0 mile was $46

·
Super Moderator
8,930 Posts
I got trophies today! Got it up to 33 mpg before utterly destroying a (probably) v6 charger. And then a crappy jeep thought "just a focus, right?" and then got left behind. Cruising arounf town for another hour or so and now I'm down at 28.2. Oh well, I've got a 200 mile road trip I can make it up on this weekend.
I have never been close to either of those numbers...

Reactions: jesse_sanders

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,032 Posts
I have never been close to either of those numbers...
You probably get to have more fun driving than I do, though...

Reactions: Skykri

·
Registered
448 Posts
My tank to tank avg is 30mpg, if I goof off a bit i'll avg 26, if I try real hard to maximize my economy, I get 36mpg. My record is 58mpg so far

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
My tank to tank avg is 30mpg, if I goof off a bit i'll avg 26, if I try real hard to maximize my economy, I get 36mpg. My record is 58mpg so far

58mpg? The C MAX only gets 42mpg, so how on earth would a performance turbo engine get 58mpg?

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I may need driving lessons, because on my best day, from California to Arizona, 5hrs & 300+ miles, my regular Focus only got 37mpg Highway.

·
Registered
126 Posts
58mpg? The C MAX only gets 42mpg, so how on earth would a performance turbo engine get 58mpg?

Drive from the mountains to the beach. If it's a steep enough downhill, you can essentially get infinite mpg. Coasting in gear whenever you can helps MPG considerably.

·
Registered
448 Posts

This was going from Oregon back to CA, I spent the time on CC following freight trucks (not close enough to draft, I would just pick one and follow) and my tires were inflated to 45psi. I wasn't in a hurry to get home.

This is over 900 miles of dedicated behaving between 60-65mph following trucks.

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #112

Ill be 100% honest with you here... The thought of having to overpay for an ST or RS really makes me sick. All of these cars are now overpriced & have expiring warranties.

Why do most of us buy used cars? Short answer is usually to save money, right? Now look, these cars are selling at MSRP. No thanks. I might just buy an ugly C MAX, get 42mpg city & call it a day. I’m just beyond frustrated at overpaying for someone else’s used problem.

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
This was going from Oregon back to CA, I spent the time on CC following freight trucks (not close enough to draft, I would just pick one and follow) and my tires were inflated to 45psi. I wasn't in a hurry to get home.

I’m sorry sir, but a Focus ST could never get 58mpg Hwy, it’s simply not possible. I doubt it would even get 40. Keep in the mind manufacturers estimated mpg numbers are 22/30 & that’s in optimal conditions.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I’m sorry sir, but a Focus ST could never get 58mpg Hwy, it’s simply not possible. I doubt it would even get 40. Keep in the mind manufacturers estimated mpg numbers are 22/30 & that’s in optimal conditions.
Believe what you will, I will not sit here and argue with you.

I've also gotten 40mpg on an extended trip in my '93 Crown Victoria, and 42mpg in my '99 SVT Contour. With the normal driving giving results of 24/28 for each vehicle respectively

I have attached photos for you, I take excellent care of my cars.

Starting to think this is the CivicX forum. If you bought this car for high MPG, you didn't buy the correct vehicle.
I view MPG as a game, the higher I get, the better I did. I will also take the car to the track. I bought my Focus to be my daily, and it serves me well.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts

How close are you following?

Are you coasting a lot? If so, how do hills up and down come into play?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Standard minimum for me is 3 car lengths as a safety precaution. Not close enough to effectively draft, but still close enough to get some benefit. This was over 900 miles, hills do not come into much play, the whole elevation change can be pretty averaged out.

·
2,745 Posts
I’m sorry but 58mpg on an ST makes me laugh every time lol

I got that (hand calculated) once in my old modded tdi jetta. I think i clocked 620 miles that tank.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,032 Posts
I could maybe see 40s IF you kept your speed in the 50s or low 60s in 6th gear on relatively flat terrain with no headwinds, but 50+ mpg? Can't see that happening unless you filled up at 10k feet and then just drove downhill for a while.

101 - 120 of 137 Posts