Ford Focus ST Forum banner

81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Found the original craigslist ad I had saved on my phone.....
Screenshot_20200904-085418_Gallery.jpg

It also helps that they didn't 100% know what they had

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
To get this thread back on track. I've averaged 29.5 mpg over the last 900 ish miles. Including mountain roads , 2 dyno pulls, and 3 data logs.
Also quite a bit of 60mpg highway driving.
20200727_215134.jpg
20200801_155546.jpg

Reactions: rob99rt and Saagz87

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I eliminate all the damage or accident cars when I filter through the ads.... I also always do 15k miles or less & that eliminates anything with little or no warranty left. I also prefer to buy from a Ford Dealer to ensure that the engine & transmission is good to go w/o any maintenance issues.

Again, ‘deals’ vary person to person, but for me, the lower the mileage the better, on anything pre-owned, especially on a turbo ST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Why must we keep beating our heads against this wall?.. just because you buy a used car from a ford dealer doesn’t mean it’s perfect. Their inspections miss tunes and all sorts of problems. They don’t want to find too many things or else they have to send the car to auction

I have seen performance cars with 100k miles on them in almost perfect show room condition because the owner knew what he was doing. Have also seen $150k cars and SUVs that are trashed within a year of ownership by someone that didn’t care yet the ad online looked good. Your window shopping with a lot of filters, and your missing a lot of good cars out there

you complained we weren’t telling the truth on what we paid for what we got, then you say oh well I never even see those cars because I need under 15k miles. The saga continues

·
Registered
63 Posts
Once you buy a few more fast cars you will understand the formula better I think. I have had over 20 cars and bikes in my time (I’m 32 years old) and most of these were used fast performance variants. The last 7 years have all been new or very low mile same model year purchases

what I can tell you as an absolute, you can put whatever filters you like on your search, it will not weed out lemons and accident vehicles. Some of the worst cars I have come across had clean titles but extensive repairs with no records. Average buyer would never know. Have to look at paint lines at corners of windshield and blend lines inside door panels And under car for what metal has been beaten back into shape.
So my point here is, search for what you want but it’s like a tommy boy quote about taking the butchers word for the quality of a T bone lol. A low mile car with repairs listed in fords database could continue to be a headache wether your paying the price on repairs or not. I would take a nice car out of warranty with no repairs listed or seen by my inspection vs a low miles car with a ton of replaced parts. And most RS cars have a lot of parts replaced if you pull the ford dealer history’s.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Didn't you buy your titanium from a Ford dealer....? How's your transmission doing? Lol. You're trying to do good, but sometimes you've gotta compromise to get what you want. I'd take 50k miles of grandma driving over 15k miles of driven to ****. They stopped making these cars in 18' so you're really gonna pay for something with less than 15k miles. And those low mileage cars are getting rarer by the day.
I wanted a sunroof and less than 40k, compromise, and save lots of money!
And thanks @Saagz87 for pointing out the taxes are included in the OTD price. I was referring to how much money I wrote on that check to the dealership. :)

Reactions: Saagz87

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Yes, I bought my Titanium from Ford w/ 4K miles & was under a full 3/36. Hints why I haven’t paid out of pocket for any transmission repairs. The last thing I want is to buy an ST out of warranty & drive it half way down the block & the check engine light comes on or the ABS light etc. I need the piece of mind that the car has 3/36 left should something unforeseen happen.

‘Deals’ to me isn’t paying 12k for an ST out of warranty. A ‘deal’ to me would be an ‘18 ST3, under 10k miles, under a 3/36 for at least 12 more months & priced around 20k.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
It has a 50k mile bumper to bumper warranty from the dealer from the mileage at sale. That'll get me close enough to 100k for my liking. Factory warranty doesn't even go that far.....

Edit: For clarity, I've probably already voided said warranty but I really don't care. I didn't buy this car to worry about parts breaking. I bought it to have fun driving.

Reactions: Saagz87

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
It has a 50k mile bumper to bumper warranty from the dealer from the mileage at sale. That'll get me close enough to 100k for my liking. Factory warranty doesn't even go that far.....
Ford doesn’t haven’t a 50k bumper to bumper warranty. They have a 3/36 & a 5/60 ‘limited’ powertrain. All of these added warranties are just a ploy to suck more money out of you. The fine print on these extended warranties is ‘limited’. That basically means no coverage & they’ll come up with an explanation to make the customer pay out of pocket.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Ford doesn’t haven’t a 50k bumper to bumper warranty. They have a 3/36 & a 5/60 ‘limited’ powertrain. All of these added warranties are just a ploy to suck more money out of you. The fine print on these extended warranties is ‘limited’. That basically means no coverage & they’ll come up with an explanation to make the customer pay out of pocket.

Remember. This isn't a ford warranty because I wasn't "smart" enough to buy mine from a ford dealership.
This was from the dealership I purchased mine from.

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Remember. This isn't a ford warranty because I wasn't "smart" enough to buy mine from a ford dealership.
This was from the dealership I purchased mine from.

Ah, the good ole ‘non-Ford’ so called warranty lol. That’s exactly how dealers make money... Selling warranties & finance. You only get 3yrs or 36k from Ford.... After that, good luck trying to get these third party warranties to cover anything. This is exactly why when I look at Carfax reports I scroll down right down to ‘first owner reported’, because that’s how much time I have left on the 3/36.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
I got trophies today! Got it up to 33 mpg before utterly destroying a (probably) v6 charger. And then a crappy jeep thought "just a focus, right?" and then got left behind. Cruising arounf town for another hour or so and now I'm down at 28.2. Oh well, I've got a 200 mile road trip I can make it up on this weekend.

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Maybe my transmission is the reason my MPG numbers aren’t higher or maybe it’s because I’m in a heavy traffic area? But some of your ST’s get better mileage than my ‘13 regular Focus, go figure? Last night after 25 miles I was at 27.7 mpg.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Maybe my transmission is the reason my MPG numbers aren’t higher or maybe it’s because I’m in a heavy traffic area? But some of your ST’s get better mileage than my ‘13 regular Focus, go figure? Last night after 25 miles I was at 27.7 mpg.

Yeah, when I hit that 33. I was cruising at around 55 to 60 for about 2 hours.
I guess it all depends on your right foot. If you're considering buying an ST or RS and are worried about the gas mileage...
I can tell you that if you are zooming around in traffic, I've see as low as the 22ish mark. Rs will be even worse on that regard

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Yeah, when I hit that 33. I was cruising at around 55 to 60 for about 2 hours.
I guess it all depends on your right foot. If you're considering buying an ST or RS and are worried about the gas mileage...
I can tell you that if you are zooming around in traffic, I've see as low as the 22ish mark. Rs will be even worse on that regard

Well, I just got notice two days ago that my ‘13 DCT is actually going to be repurchased by Ford under CA. Lemon law, so now I can start seriously looking. I’m going to try an ST or RS & drive something fun for awhile. I figure if I don’t like it, well then, these eco cars are fairly easy to find. Sure, the MPGs will suffer, but that DCT I’m driving is such a POS, that I’ll be happy to see it go.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Well, I just got notice two days ago that my ‘13 DCT is actually going to be repurchased by Ford under CA. Lemon law, so now I can start seriously looking. I’m going to try an ST or RS & drive something fun for awhile. I figure if I don’t like it, well then, these eco cars are fairly easy to find. Sure, the MPGs will suffer, but that DCT I’m driving is such a POS, that I’ll be happy to see it go.

FINALLY!!!!
Maybe now you'll actually find one you like. Sucks that you got banned from the RS forum for pissing everyone off 😒

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
FINALLY!!!!
Maybe now you'll actually find one you like. Sucks that you got banned from the RS forum for pissing everyone off

I’ve got a couple of cars that I’m considering, but I wanted to make sure my current car was going away first because I didn’t want to park it outside & be stuck with two cars. As far as the RS forums goes, yea I didn’t even know I was banned until yesterday afternoon. I went onto the site & wasn’t allowed in & it said I was banned. I was bummed out because I liked ongoing on there & actually learned a lot from many of the members there.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
I’ve got a couple of cars that I’m considering, but I wanted to make sure my current car was going away first because I didn’t want to park it outside & be stuck with two cars. As far as the RS forums goes, yea I didn’t even know I was banned until yesterday afternoon. I went onto the site & wasn’t allowed in & it said I was banned. I was bummed out because I liked ongoing on there & actually learned a lot from many of the members there.

Ya need to learn to sit back and just read sometimes. Lol. Both of these sites have a HUGE wealth of information but some of the people get a little pissed when you seem to reject their advice, or seem to criticize their decisions.
You may not be meaning to but wording comes out differently through text. Make a thread (maybe "poker runs" search for the perfect car or something like that) Post up some pictures of what you're looking at. Maybe some other members will chime in with helpful advice or thoughts. Just remember, be nice 😉

81 - 100 of 137 Posts