Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know, on average, how many miles to a tank the ST will get? How much worse is it vs. a Focus SE?

On the contrary, how much better is the fuel economy on an ST. vs an RS?

Let’s say someone drives around 22-25 miles total, per day (115-125 miles per/week) Can the ST go every other week between fill-ups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Depends so much on how you drive. You can get 300 miles out of an ST tank with some city and highway but it’s a pretty small tank. I have fun in my ST quite often, but my average over the last year over all my driving has been slightly over 27mpg

Plan on however you drive a stock ST, if you drove the RS the exact same, the RS will get about 5mpg worse. The RS is pretty hard on fuel for a 4 cylinder in my opinion

·
Registered
63 Posts
I forgot this stat which is funny but true. A group of us went up to a big car show in the twin cities last year. It was just under 200miles round trip and of course there was some fun being had on the road. When we got back we will gassed up again at the same station we met at when we left that sells good 93 octane. My hellcat charger averaged 23mpg. My buddies RS got 22 lol

On a road trip my hellcat can get 27 on the highway if I drive it normally BTW so I know the RS can do better than 22

·
Banned
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder why the RS gets such terrible fuel mileage? It’s a small car & it’s only 350HP. I don’t know, I would just think it would do similar MPG numbers to an ST, it’s only 98HP more vs. an ST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well that extra engine displacement, a little extra aero, plus the awd parts spinning equals worse mileage. I’m happy with the mileage the ST gets with its weight and gearing to be honest

Some on here say their STs can see 40mpg on highway trips. I have never seen over 32 personally. Maybe I drive faster or it’s the hills here. I just have intake and cat back on my car

My wife’s SRT Durango has never broke 20mpg on a long highway trip, so I can’t complain about my cars

·
Registered
63 Posts
I will add one more thing here because I know your on the RS forum as well looking for a nice car to buy

I was in the same boat as you last summer. I wanted an RS bad for my normal driving year round here in WI. I drove 4 of them. The first two I kind of thought were abused because they didn’t feel fast enough for the specs and rode like lumber wagons. After driving two more very low mileage cars I realized they were all the same but the 2018 model is tolerable as far as the ride goes in my opinion. so after that I drove STI, accord sport 6MT, SI, and type R. I had owned a SVT focus back in college with a supercharger I loved and had driven a few STs over the last few years and always liked them, just hadn’t considered buying one. Well after I drove a 2017 ST3 it was over. Balanced ride with handeling, power, gas mileage, and cheap consumables like brakes as compared to the RS and other cars in the class. Once I found out the RS awd isn’t typical AWD and can overheat if you use it, that was my tipping point. ST handles the snow very well for what it is, I have zero regrets picking it up over a year ago. When I see an RS I still appreciate what the car is for sure, but I paid half what a similar RS would have cost, and my ST hasn’t had a single issue. So just wanted you to hear that

·
Registered
29 Posts
It also can help to consider terrain. I live in an area with many large hills. I usually get around 23-24 mpg with city and highway driving. If i were to drive with fuel economy in mind I could probably average 26-27.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,037 Posts
I drive a good bit of stop and go back and forth to work, and my average speed over the time the engine is on is typically about 32 mph. I only have about 8 miles on my 48 mile round trip commute that's 65+ with the rest being 50 mph or less.

I also am typically not hard on the car and shift about the time the light comes on. Consequently, my overall average is 31.7 over the last 18k miles since I got the car in May of 2019. I've gotten as high as 41 on a trip back and forth to Colorado springs that saw almost nothing but 70-75 mph freeway cruising and was less than 8 miles of city streets.

I do think this current tank is going to be less thanks to the newly installed stage 3 ots tune. The newfound torque is kinda addicting.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
My take...I drive ~300 miles each way to work down a major interstate and average 25.1mpg down and back.

but, I drive her like I stole her...Im not gonna out myself here for various reasons, but suffice it to say the RS wouldn’t do me any favors the way I drive. I might see high teens mpg at the velocities that I see over the course of the drive.

that and what someone already mentioned...TWICE the price for less than 100hp more? No thanks. I’ll take my chances running FBO out there on the highways 😬

·
Registered
28 Posts
My ST2 does 22-24 in town. I've done three 2000 mile round trips and averaged 32 on each. The car is completely stock except for an RS shifter assy and heavy shift knob.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Well, if I'm babying the car I've gotten a lil above 33mpg on a tank (First week of ownership). But if I'm driving hard all the time, taking off from stoplights and such I've seen it drop to around 24 mpg (Second week of ownership)
Most of the time I will average 27-29.
I have been on a road trip this weekend, I drove about 350 miles of interstate averaging 70 mph. The other couple hundred of miles I've been driving the piss out of the car on Back of the Dragon and surrounding twisty roads.
I think I've done pretty good efficiency wise.
15957866247205739464447543468850.jpg

Btw the meter was reading 30.6 mpg before I got on the back roads. Haha.

I've also been keeping a running tab on lifetime mileage of the car since I've got it, and after 12,272 miles I am averaging 28.6 mpg

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
218 Posts
Low 20s in the winter with mixed driving. Mid to high 20s mixed in warmer weather.
Before COVID-19, my roundtrip to work and back was ~40 miles. I wouldn’t make two weeks before having to pump gas.

Our gas tank is very small. Low 200 miles per tank in New England Winter and high 200s - low 300s in the summer.

Id assume the Focus SEs mpg resembles my daughters Corolla. If so, you’ll definitely notice the difference.

As others remarked the biggest factor is driving habit. It’s hot out and I’m getting low 20s mpg mixed now after Rear Sway Bar and Lowering springs as I’m driving more aggressively

Reactions: PokerRun388

·
2,764 Posts
You can't compare the ST to the SE in any performance aspect including MPG. Also fuel mileage is massively subjective to driver, commute type, elevation, terrain (hills versus plains), tire type, etc.

My personal experience with the platform is there's a huge drop in MPG when traveling above 60mph with 55mph being the sweet spot. On summer blend premium gas my commute when taking the interstate recently averages 26mpg hand caclulated. I tend to cruise at 80 on the highway. By recently making a simple change to only take 55mph and under routes, my mpg is 30 to 31 hand calculated with no other change in driving style other than average speed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Roughly 400 at the highest before I filled up with 20 or so miles left, with many qualifiers. I drive 27 miles one way and there's rarely any slow downs so I went about 60 most of the way in 6th gear. With no A/C on, 91 no ethanol summer blend gas and no spirited driving. I tried it one week and it was torture but when I did the math I was at right around 33.3 mpg. I didn't use the number on the dash. Though I spend most of my time between 27-29 mpg on 91 no ethanol.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,037 Posts
I just took a trip to Cheyenne, WY, from the Denver area, and roundtrip I averaged 37.7 mpg. That included an additional 600 lbs of passengers plus another 150 lbs of stuff in the trunk. There were a couple points where it was up to 38.3. That includes using the A/C for about 75 miles of the 320 mile round-trip. I still have about 1/4 of a tank left and I'll be filling it up tonight. Hopefully the real mpg is in the 36 or so range.

ETA: 38.0 mpg, even after adding another 35 miles of commuting before I filled it up. Woohoo!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I found that with my 2013 at 92K sedately-driven miles, when I replaced my spark plugs (via dealer-supplied parts), I gained 2 mpg.

For what it's worth.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Depends so much on how you drive. You can get 300 miles out of an ST tank with some city and highway but it’s a pretty small tank. I have fun in my ST quite often, but my average over the last year over all my driving has been slightly over 27mpg

Plan on however you drive a stock ST, if you drove the RS the exact same, the RS will get about 5mpg worse. The RS is pretty hard on fuel for a 4 cylinder in my opinion
see now, this entire thread is torquing me off.
I can't even squeeze 24 out of mine on the interstate on long hauls.
Wonder if something is wrong with the damned thing...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Are you using 6th gear? Haha. Seriously though, you should be getting at least 30mpg when cruising if your not downshifting and doing pulls

·
Registered
2017 MM ST3
469 Posts
Best I've done is 36mpg on a cruise with my friend. This same friend hyper miled the hell outta his and got 46 mpg lol

1 - 20 of 137 Posts