Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,732 Posts
Do you have an accessport? See the monitor for clutch pedal position make sure it’s working right.

Sometimes the clutch sensor can die, the car will drive fine but if you have launch control you may hit a rev limiter.

But then I would expect it in first too, could also be a failing fuel pump.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
1,107 Posts
FFS is enabled.

$10 bucks.

If one of the 3 clutch sensors went out the FFS wouldn't engage.. (most likely)

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
829 Posts
If your car has a tune, you had already crossed to the dark side, you need an AP. Very hard to guess without vital info about the tune. Even if you have FFS or launch control there is nothing you can do without an AP.

Reactions: Deridium and W4R

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
933 Posts
The car was dyno tuned by the previous owner and I don’t have the tuners information currently or a access port. But I don’t really believe it is a flat foot shifting setting because Basically when I bought the car it had NGK Iridium IX spark plugs in but they were not gapped they were at like 40. I gapped down to around 30 which is what stock is. Originally the rpms were getting stuck at like 3-3.5k and when I gapped them down to 30 it got better and was at like 4-4.5k rpms. I bought brand new spark plugs which are the same ones that the car already had but I gapped those to around 24-26 and the rpms getting stuck happens again but higher In the rpms now it’s like 5k rpms.
Gapped to 40? like 0.040"? Thats way too much for these cars

0.026"-0.028" is just right

How many miles?
Dumb stuff, but a plugged air cleaner could do you wrong.
Also, High millage, no catch cans... dirty intake valves? But that wouldn't limit your RPM.
Though if you've never cleaned the valves you really shouldn't go that far past 5,000 rpm anyway.

This has the best probability to it. I side with W4R:

FFS is enabled.

$10 bucks.

If one of the 3 clutch sensors went out the FFS wouldn't engage.. (most likely)

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST250 ST3
3 Posts
Hey bro I dont have IG unfortunately but if you could go into your tune setting on the accessport and share a pic of that screen that may help. Just guessing your tuner had set it to activate at 5k rpm you can change it to 5800 or disable.
The gap on the NGK should be 28 that's what I have preset from Motor Sport Development UK and running the Tune

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Gapped to 40? like 0.040"? Thats way too much for these cars

0.026"-0.028" is just right

How many miles?
Dumb stuff, but a plugged air cleaner could do you wrong.
Also, High millage, no catch cans... dirty intake valves? But that wouldn't limit your RPM.
Though if you've never cleaned the valves you really shouldn't go that far past 5,000 rpm anyway.

This has the best probability to it. I side with W4R:
I really doubt that it is FFS because like I said the problem got better when I closed the gaps on the plugs. Some techs are saying it could be the coil packs starting to fail.

·
Super Moderator
2,155 Posts
I really doubt that it is FFS because like I said the problem got better when I closed the gaps on the plugs. Some techs are saying it could be the coil packs starting to fail.
Everyone that usually doesn't have a clue always blames the coil packs - so it seems.

Honestly, it's hard to tell your issue without some form of monitoring - you're driving blind with a tune that you have no real info on.

I'd be curious if there were codes stored that you aren't aware of. I'd also be curious what your AFRs are looking like during this event, corrections too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Everyone that usually doesn't have a clue always blames the coil packs - so it seems.

Honestly, it's hard to tell your issue without some form of monitoring - you're driving blind with a tune that you have no real info on.

I'd be curious if there were codes stored that you aren't aware of. I'd also be curious what your AFRs are looking like during this event, corrections too.

I have a Air fuel mixture gauge and most of the time it’s at 14.6

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
829 Posts
I have a Air fuel mixture gauge and most of the time it’s at 14.6
That is too lean for a tuned engine, “most of the time”.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Do you have an accessport? See the monitor for clutch pedal position make sure it’s working right.

Sometimes the clutch sensor can die, the car will drive fine but if you have launch control you may hit a rev limiter.

But then I would expect it in first too, could also be a failing fuel pump.

FIXED: I bought new coil packs and threw them into the car and the problem went away completely 100%. Now the car is running perfectly fine with no issues at al.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

FIXED: I bought new coil packs and threw them into the car and the problem went away completely 100%. Now the car is running perfectly fine with no issues at al.

·
Super Moderator
2,155 Posts
That's good news, hopefully it doesn't come back. Seems unlikely all your coils were bad. Hope it keeps running smoothly!

That's interesting. Coils are a very uncommon failure on these cars. In any case,glad you got it fixed!
Agreed, highly unusual.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts