Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FIXED: I bought new coil packs and threw them into the car and the problem went away completely 100%. Now the car is running perfectly fine with no issues at al.

Recently my car hasnt been able to go over 5k rpms when under full throttle. The car is like bouncing off a rev limiter or getting starved of fuel or air. I have a dyno tune, CAÍ, blow off valve, and full 3inch injen exhaust. I have NGK iridium spark plugs and originally when I bought the car they weren’t gapped they were at 40. I gapped them to 30 and the problem got better because at first the car wouldn’t go over 3k rpms under full throttle. When they were gapped to 30 which is around stock gap the car would go to 4K rpms. I bought brand new spark plugs and gapped them to around 24-25 and now the car goes to red line in first gear but in second it goes to like 5k rpms. Anyone know what this could be ? I have a video of the car doing this issue. send me a message and I can send you the video. Thanks for reading

·
Read Only
32 Posts
I’m not sure but message me on Instagram so I can show you the video of the car doing it
Hey bro I dont have IG unfortunately but if you could go into your tune setting on the accessport and share a pic of that screen that may help. Just guessing your tuner had set it to activate at 5k rpm you can change it to 5800 or disable.

·
Read Only
32 Posts
Hey bro I dont have IG unfortunately but if you could go into your tune setting on the accessport and share a pic of that screen that may help. Just guessing your tuner had set it to activate at 5k rpm you can change it to 5800 or disable.
It could also be something entirely different as it seems to be acting different in 1st than 2nd gear but check ffs setting asap.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
829 Posts
Can you past 5k in 3rd or 4th gear? Do you have a stock or big turbo? My tune has torque limits around 3k on the primary gears to limit wheel spin and avoid running the HPFP at minimum pressure in that area with high boost. It sounds like a rev limiter. Your tune can be limiting something.

Reactions: Deridium

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Can you past 5k in 3rd or 4th gear? Do you have a stock or big turbo? My tune has torque limits around 3k on the primary gears to limit wheel spin and avoid running the HPFP at minimum pressure in that area with high boost. It sounds like a rev limiter. Your tune can be limiting something.
No stock turbo. I can hit red line in first gear and in the second gear it stops around 5k but the issue got better when I gapped the plugs to 25.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Basically when I bought the car it had NGK Iridium IX spark plugs in but they were not gapped they were at like 40. I gapped down to around 30 which is what stock is. Originally the rpms were getting stuck at like 3-3.5k and when I gapped them down to 30 it got better and was at like 4-4.5k rpms. I bought brand new spark plugs which are the same ones that the car already had but I gapped those to around 24-26 and the rpms getting stuck happens again but higher In the rpms now it’s like 5k rpms. Any recommendations? I appreciate your help

·
Registered
2016 ST2
170 Posts
What is ffs setting ?
Flat foot shift. When you're wide open throttle and get to a certain RPM it holds it so you can shift without lifting.

So you're tuned without a tuner? That's not really how that works... the tuner is tied to your car... at least with Cobb. I don't know how the SCT ones work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Flat foot shift. When you're wide open throttle and get to a certain RPM it holds it so you can shift without lifting.

So you're tuned without a tuner? That's not really how that works... the tuner is tied to your car... at least with Cobb. I don't know how the SCT ones work.
The car was dyno tuned by the previous owner and I don’t have the tuners information currently or a access port. But I don’t really believe it is a flat foot shifting setting because Basically when I bought the car it had NGK Iridium IX spark plugs in but they were not gapped they were at like 40. I gapped down to around 30 which is what stock is. Originally the rpms were getting stuck at like 3-3.5k and when I gapped them down to 30 it got better and was at like 4-4.5k rpms. I bought brand new spark plugs which are the same ones that the car already had but I gapped those to around 24-26 and the rpms getting stuck happens again but higher In the rpms now it’s like 5k rpms.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
829 Posts
Are you getting an engine light CEL? Any codes? Hard to tell without a log at the moment of the occurrence. I have flat foot shifting enabled, if I let the engine go it will hit 7k easily. It doesn't hold the rpm until I step on the clutch at 5.8k.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are you getting an engine light CEL? Any codes? Hard to tell without a log at the moment of the occurrence. I have flat foot shifting enabled, if I let the engine go it will hit 7k easily. It doesn't hold the rpm until I step on the clutch at 5.8k.
Nope no codes at all . First gear let’s me go to redline 2nd gear only goes to 5k.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
829 Posts
I don't have Instagram, you should be able to PM me by now, I think.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts