Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is going to be a quick basis of how to install a rear view camera in a 2013 Focus ST with APIM Programming. I was going to send out my APIM to have it flashed, but being that I plan to upgrade to Sync 3 shortly I figured I'd try to figure out the APIM.

Parts to Buy

High Quality 2.4G Wireless Module for Car Reverse Backup Paking Rear View Camera $21.25
High Quality 2 4G Wireless Module for Car Reverse Backup Paking Rear View Camera | eBay

Car Rear View Camera for Ford Focus 2012-2014 Backup Reverse Trunk Handle CCD $29.99
Car Rear View Camera for Ford Focus 2012 2014 Backup Reverse Trunk Handle CCD | eBay

OBDLink MX $79.99
https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-426101-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B006NZTZLQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466383757&sr=8-1&keywords=obdlink+mx

TE Connectivity Female Terminals for Wireharness (Only need 2, but order 10 for crimping practice or issues, $1 in parts but shipping probably $6
)
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/1924955-3/?qs=/ha2pyFaduhu0UmgaFJYVG5XhBT58vz5hc3LOpA%2bYD9QtuRZQKTeQQ==

22 awg multi strand wire a few feet for wiring into my ford touch harness connector

Female RCA cable End

Directions won't be really specific but should give you a brief overview, the link below will help fill in any questions (post 230)

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-electronics/27562-backup-camera-oem-install-research-23.html

Thanks to norcalwingman pinout diagram
http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachments/focus-st-electronics/126854d1459736711-backup-camera-oem-install-research-wiringharness.png

Install Backup camera in place of trunk latch handle

Take wireless rear receiver and tap red power wire into left taillight green and brown wire which is accessible in rear left hand side of car.
In the same harness the black wire is the ground so connect this with your black wire of the wireless receiver.

Now remove ford Touch from front (make sure to use tape on the leather sun visor over the myford touch. If you remove the lcd without taping, the top ears of the screen will scratch the leather when you pull it out). Take female RCA cable and keep only about 6 inches of wire length. take the insulated wire and solder it to a 6 inch strand of 22 awg wire. Do the same to the non insulated wire also. Now crimp on the end of the 22 awg wire the TE terminals mentioned above in the parts list. These can be a real pain to crimp if you don't have a crimping tool for them. You can always attempt to crimp them and then add some solder. The terminals are a real tight fit into the harness connector so you might be trying this a few times. With the TE connector ends now installed you can slide them into the my ford touch harness connector. Pin 14 should be the insulated wire from the RCA end (Center male pin) in the myford touch harness and pin 15 is the non insulated RCA end (outside part of terminal). Now the front wireless receiver RCA end can plug into the female end you just wired up to the myford touch. The power and ground wires on the front wireless module now need to be fed power. I tapped my radar detector add a circuit which is circuit 85 (could be mistaken) which is the fuse box behind the glove box.

Now to the main part which I can contribute here. Everything else has somewhat been mentioned before. The APIM behind the myford touch needs to be flashed to allow the rear camera function. To do this I recommend the OBDLINK MX as that's what I have and it works flawlessly. Now Download forscan below and it has to be the computer version. You'll need to join the forum and ask for the Free Extended license which unlocks the APIM feature.

Forscan Download link
Download FORScan

Forscan (obtaining free extended license)
FORScan forum ? View topic - Standard and Extended licenses for Windows

Now you'll need to access the APIM menu and change the digit shown in red to the number 3. Flash

host images

After Complete install and APIM flash you should see this when you put your car into reverse. The Rear camera feature comes on almost instantly and it works flawlessly.

adult image sharing

I'll see about maybe adding some more pics and stuff, but I just did the camera install along with adding an MFactory LSD to my trans so it's been a very busy 4 days. I'm exhausted but figured I'd help a few of you out.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
You are the man! Someone on figured this out and has been charging a bunch to do this simple thing and won't tell anyone how, way to be a community person!

I noticed you mentioned putting tape on the screen hood, any chance you know how to fix it if you didn't? I have pulled my screen out several times swapping the APIM and wiring up a backup cam with an expensive adapter and did scruff the top of my hood. The only time you notice it is when the sun is setting and shining in from the side, but it still bugs me.

·
Registered
517 Posts
This is going to be a quick basis of how to install a rear view camera in a 2013 Focus ST with APIM Programming. I was going to send out my APIM to have it flashed, but being that I plan to upgrade to Sync 3 shortly I figured I'd try to figure out the APIM.

Parts to Buy

High Quality 2.4G Wireless Module for Car Reverse Backup Paking Rear View Camera $21.25
High Quality 2 4G Wireless Module for Car Reverse Backup Paking Rear View Camera | eBay

Car Rear View Camera for Ford Focus 2012-2014 Backup Reverse Trunk Handle CCD $29.99
Car Rear View Camera for Ford Focus 2012 2014 Backup Reverse Trunk Handle CCD | eBay

OBDLink MX $79.99
https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-426101-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B006NZTZLQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466383757&sr=8-1&keywords=obdlink+mx

TE Connectivity Female Terminals for Wireharness (Only need 2, but order 10 for crimping practice or issues, $1 in parts but shipping probably $6
)
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/1924955-3/?qs=/ha2pyFaduhu0UmgaFJYVG5XhBT58vz5hc3LOpA%2bYD9QtuRZQKTeQQ==

22 awg multi strand wire a few feet for wiring into my ford touch harness connector

Female RCA cable End

Directions won't be really specific but should give you a brief overview, the link below will help fill in any questions (post 230)

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-electronics/27562-backup-camera-oem-install-research-23.html

Thanks to norcalwingman pinout diagram
http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachments/focus-st-electronics/126854d1459736711-backup-camera-oem-install-research-wiringharness.png

Install Backup camera in place of trunk latch handle

Take wireless rear receiver and tap red power wire into left taillight green and brown wire which is accessible in rear left hand side of car.
In the same harness the black wire is the ground so connect this with your black wire of the wireless receiver.

Now remove ford Touch from front (make sure to use tape on the leather sun visor over the myford touch. If you remove the lcd without taping, the top ears of the screen will scratch the leather when you pull it out). Take female RCA cable and keep only about 6 inches of wire length. take the insulated wire and solder it to a 6 inch strand of 22 awg wire. Do the same to the non insulated wire also. Now crimp on the end of the 22 awg wire the TE terminals mentioned above in the parts list. These can be a real pain to crimp if you don't have a crimping tool for them. You can always attempt to crimp them and then add some solder. The terminals are a real tight fit into the harness connector so you might be trying this a few times. With the TE connector ends now installed you can slide them into the my ford touch harness connector. Pin 14 should be the insulated wire from the RCA end (Center male pin) in the myford touch harness and pin 15 is the non insulated RCA end (outside part of terminal). Now the front wireless receiver RCA end can plug into the female end you just wired up to the myford touch. The power and ground wires on the front wireless module now need to be fed power. I tapped my radar detector add a circuit which is circuit 85 (could be mistaken) which is the fuse box behind the glove box.

Now to the main part which I can contribute here. Everything else has somewhat been mentioned before. The APIM behind the myford touch needs to be flashed to allow the rear camera function. To do this I recommend the OBDLINK MX as that's what I have and it works flawlessly. Now Download forscan below and it has to be the computer version. You'll need to join the forum and ask for the Free Extended license which unlocks the APIM feature.

Forscan Download link
Download FORScan

Forscan (obtaining free extended license)
FORScan forum ? View topic - Standard and Extended licenses for Windows

Now you'll need to access the APIM menu and change the digit shown in red to the number 3. Flash

host images

After Complete install and APIM flash you should see this when you put your car into reverse. The Rear camera feature comes on almost instantly and it works flawlessly.

adult image sharing

I'll see about maybe adding some more pics and stuff, but I just did the camera install along with adding an MFactory LSD to my trans so it's been a very busy 4 days. I'm exhausted but figured I'd help a few of you out.
Is it possible to upgrade MFT systems to sync 3??

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are the man! Someone on figured this out and has been charging a bunch to do this simple thing and won't tell anyone how, way to be a community person!

I noticed you mentioned putting tape on the screen hood, any chance you know how to fix it if you didn't? I have pulled my screen out several times swapping the APIM and wiring up a backup cam with an expensive adapter and did scruff the top of my hood. The only time you notice it is when the sun is setting and shining in from the side, but it still bugs me.
I hear you on this. I've heard and seen people literally sand leather seats with 2000+ grit sand paper with leather conditioner and then redye the seats and it restores leather seats really well. The problem here is I have no idea what the material the dash is made (synthetics/dyes/ect). You could try getting some 2000+ grit sandpaper along with some leather conditioner and find an area that is completely inconspicuous and try it out there. You'd also need to find a dye that matches the dash well. You can search on youtube for vinyl dash reconditioning and leather seat reconditioning and I'm sure some videos will come up.

Is it possible to upgrade MFT systems to sync 3??
Not the unit itself as it's completely different. I'm in the process of working on this. However, my time is pretty limited the next 1-2 months so I'm not going to get very far. I plan to look more into this around fall.

How is the camera you ordered quality built or does it look like it wont hold up for long?
The camera video quality is pretty good and I can't really complain about it especially for the cost. I would say the stock trunk release switch has a more tactile feel than the aftermarket camera. I think the aftermarket unit only has one tactile switch in the center of the trunk release where the stock unit might have 3 switch in the the trunk release. So if your hand isn't centered on the trunk release and you press it, the stock unit would unlock while the aftermarket one might.

If you're familiar with mechanical switch computer keyboards (cherry mx switches) as opposed to most common cheaper membrane dome keyboards, that's probably the best way to explain the difference between the stock trunk release switch and the aftermarket one. I'd also say the stock plastic housing of the entire switch feels a bit more durable on the stock unit compared to the aftermarket unit, but it's not that noticeable.

Overall I'd go with the same camera setup. Now if I found a unit where you could adjust camera elevation/angle, that would be cool.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Really informative write-up. Would be cool if someone figured out how to get a camera to work on the little sync screen in the st1 pre-stock backup camera.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thanks for the write-up! I'm definitely going to be doing this. Fingers crossed that I'll get it to work, if not... I might bug you since you're local. :p

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Seriously awesome work! Thanks for sharing! I think I'll be picking up the supplies to do this very soon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
excellent write up! I just did it this past weekend and it went perfect! I have a little interference when I reverse at home, assuming because of all the WIFI in the area, but other than that it works perfect! I did, however, tap into the rear windshield wiper motor because I didn't want to run that much wire and take off any more panels. And I was able to add the pins using the pins from a 25 pin female adapter from radioshack. slightly different looking pins, but they fit in just the same.

Again, great job! Both you and the guy in the other thread you linked to.

·
Registered
211 Posts
So I just finished installing this and updating the APIM. Updating the APIM was the easiest part, taking off the interior hatch panel was definitely the largest pita.... If anyone has a trick to this, it would be appreciated. The OBDII reader I linked above did work for this mod and for removing the double honk. Thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Everyone who has completed this how does the your screen look? mine jumps around a lot and I'm trying to figure out if it is a grounding issue or just interference because the 2.4ghz wireless spectrum is super congested.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everyone who has completed this how does the your screen look? mine jumps around a lot and I'm trying to figure out if it is a grounding issue or just interference because the 2.4ghz wireless spectrum is super congested.
On mine I didn't have an issue until this weekend. I went on a backpacking trip and my rear car was completely loaded up and I had a big Thule Sonic XL box on top loaded also. Once or twice while reversing I had the screen jump around for a bit. I'm assuming because the car was so packed the 6 meter range of the wireless transmitter/receiver was inadequate. I might look for a better transmitter/receiver that operates on 5.0 ghz or may consider just running a wire from the front to back. You might want to leave your panels open and see if the range of the antenna/receiver is the actual problem, or it may in fact be interference from the congested 2.4 ghz frequency.

With it being installed for over a month, I can't complain with it operating 99% spot on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
On mine I didn't have an issue until this weekend. I went on a backpacking trip and my rear car was completely loaded up and I had a big Thule Sonic XL box on top loaded also. Once or twice while reversing I had the screen jump around for a bit. I'm assuming because the car was so packed the 6 meter range of the wireless transmitter/receiver was inadequate. I might look for a better transmitter/receiver that operates on 5.0 ghz or may consider just running a wire from the front to back. You might want to leave your panels open and see if the range of the antenna/receiver is the actual problem, or it may in fact be interference from the congested 2.4 ghz frequency.

With it being installed for over a month, I can't complain with it operating 99% spot on.
I've had mine for almost a month also and it works well enough 99% of the time as well. But I just installed it for someone in my local club and his jumps a lot and has gone blank a couple times while he was trying to reverse. He bought the same receiver/transmitter that I used and the only thing that is different between his car and mine is that I sanded all of my ground points in the engine bay. I'm thinking that running an RCA cable through the who car would be the best fix but I think it would be more trouble than worth. I haven't looked at where I could run the RCA cable yet, I'll probably try and do that tonight and maybe test on my car in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for putting this together. An OEM appearing backup cam option is something I have been wanting on my ST2 since the day I purchased it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
This gets me chummy in the pants. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't actually need that OBD2 plug but I can get away with just the cable, correct?

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is the crimper that I used and it worked great. Make sure to buy a few extra terminal ends as you'll want to practice a few times to perfect your crimp.

FrozenCPU Molex Crimping Tool - FrozenCPU.com
Thanks. I got this crimper on Amazon. It looks very similar. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JLN93S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't have the terminal connectors yet so I can't be sure it will work.

I already had this Bluetooth OBD2 scanner. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014MTAYK0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It was $13 on amazon. I don't have the camera connected yet, but it appears to have programmed the AIPM correctly. About ten seconds after shifting into reverse, I get a message about a camera error on the MFD. After some messing around with Focccus PC APP I even got it to reprogram the BCM for global window open close with the key FOB.

Here is the camera I got. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X7KH1X4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I saw cheaper ones on eBay, but they all shipped from China. I did not want to wait that long. This one shipped from the US and I had it in two days.

I plan on skipping the wireless part and running a RCA cable to the front of the car. The plan is to go above the headliner and down the A pillar.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts