Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 382 Posts

·
Vendor
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our Adapt-X octane learning tune is now available for the Focus ST platform. This is the only octane learning calibration on the market and is designed to be as reliable as the factory calibration. This deprecates our stage x line of calibrations which a handful of people here run.

Take your 13-19 Focus ST to the next level with our new ground breaking octane learning calibration. The ultimate Focus ST 2.0 ecoboost tune experience.

Now you can enjoy a premium luxury tuning experience from Monster Tuned with the powerful Cobb Accessport V3 tuning platform and focus st tuning.

What is Adapt-X and what makes it better than the competition?

The only Focus ST tune on the market with true factory level octane learning!

Our Adapt-X line of calibrations are unique advanced closed loop calibrations designed for operation with the stock turbocharger, stock wastegate, and stock fuel system, as well as being developed and tested with factory inferred octane learning. This means that no changes are required or additional fuel tanks for 91/93 or worrying about lower quality winter blend fuels or bad fuel.

With 15+ years of software development experience, our calibration engineer reverse engineers the factory ECU strategy to increase horsepower and torque across the entire curve while maintaining all OEM controls and safety features. The Ecoboost ECU has closed loop fueling, closed loop ignition based on knock feedback, and a closed loop boost control system using a PID controller subsystem. After 2 years of research and development the result is the perfect stock turbo tune. No revisions are needed and you can continue to modify your vehicle and re-flash the map after you have made changes to the vehicle and the ECU will compensate for those changes while providing more power than competitor tuners.

All of our Adapt-X calibrations drive as smooth as stock with faster turbocharger response during throttle in conditions as well as offering a driving experience unlike anything offered by the competition.

Adapt-X Calibration Features:

• 100% Ford Refined OEM Drivability
  • Factory fuel economy performance
  • Factory level reliability with inferred octane learning (Only tune on the market with this functionality)
  • Improved engine cooling over factory
  • Grill shutters always fully opened for maximum cooling
  • Less knock over competitor tunes with advanced knock control strategy
  • Adaptive boost control strategy designed to be compatible with most bolt on modifications, and more responsive than factory controls
  • All the power of a pro tune with out the cost or the turn around time
  • Improved factory octane learning designed to operate on premium fuels
  • 1000+ hours of research and development
  • 1 month of tuning support is included with the purchase
  • Same day tune delivery during business hours after receiving the tuning form response
  • Emissions compliant in all 50 states
Requirements:
  • Cobb Accessport V3 Tuner (17-19 vehicles must have TCM support on their AP)
  • 1 step colder spark plugs gapped 0.026
  • Premium fuel only (90+ octane)
  • Stock Turbo
  • Stock wastegate actuator
  • Stock fuel system (No fuel system modifications or auxiliary fuels like WMI)
Compatible Modifications:
  • Intake (Stock is recommended for best performance)
  • Intercooler
  • Downpipe
  • Exhaust
  • RS/Mustang 2.3 ecoboost throttle body

What kind of power should I expect?
The power that you get will be heavily dependent on cooling and fuel quality. We highly recommend keeping the factory airbox (and with the oem lid) as it flows very well up to 350 whp while keeping temps very low, and provides a fresh air feed from the grill. After market intakes may see a reduction in power due to increased intake air temperatures.
Power figures will vary depending on the dyno:
  • (91/93) Tune stock FMIC (250 whp / 265 whp)
  • (91/93) Tune uprated FMIC (260 whp / 275 whp)
  • (E30) Tune stock FMIC (280-290 whp)
  • (E30) Tune uprated FMIC (290-310 whp)
Above power rates are based on dyno numbers and factor in 12% drive train loss. Multiply whp numbers by 1.12 to obtain crank horsepower numbers.

You can find more information here:

·
Vendor
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@MonsterTuned What changed between Stage X and this release, now that Stage X is deprecated?
Global knock + Factory octane learning. Base timing will be +/- 1-2 degrees on a pull which results in more consistent power delivery vs. waiting on knock advance to add in power. Octane learn lets me get base timing closer to the knock threshold of the fuel in the tank.

Also the tune is smoother.

·
Vendor
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tune was sent out @junits15

Go update the ap firmware and follow email instructions and let me know what you think. OAR will only learn under partial throttle driving.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
616 Posts
So If you were full bolt on car does this tune make more power then your other tune?
Trying to figure oit who's tune to go with right now.

·
Super Moderator
2,740 Posts
Tune was sent out @junits15

Go update the ap firmware and follow email instructions and let me know what you think. OAR will only learn under partial throttle driving.
Just got it! AP is updated and the tune is flashed to my car. I’ll take the car out for a rip tomorrow, let everything learn, and post my thoughts.

I thought it was cool that you mentioned that you had to work with cobb to get global knock added to the firmware, and sure enough the release notes for the latest firmware revision state that global knock was added.

Can’t wait to see how it does!

·
Vendor
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am happy with the tunes I have. Is the new one safer? more power?
Safest tune on the market guaranteed. You can't get safer than octane learning, inferring the octane gets timing close for fuel economy, better power, and less knock.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I was quite happy with my 93 Stage X, typically saw 1-2 max knocks and made good power in data logs taken back on summer fuel.

The OEM+ definitely feels smoother, seeing less negative corrections and it keeps pulling hard, maybe better up top. Testing was also on winter blend gas so I expect it to be even more fun with summer gas and rubber.

I was hesitant to comment right away, as it’s hard to be objective after 12 beta-revisions and twice as many data-logging runs, but I’m confident in the work The Monster has put in to deliver a safe and strong tune, and look forward to others giving it a go!

If you already have a Stage X, I think it’s well worth the $50 for added safety on winter blend and to compare it yourself. And if you don’t have a Monster tune, come join us!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
616 Posts
@ MonsterTuned: So my daughters Fiesta ST has a Mountune installed on it. Bought the car that way. I phoned them because I had never dealt with tunes before. I was wondering what fuel it needed. They stated that there tune worked with 91-94 octane as the tune changes for the fuel installed much the same way as the factory tune.
I guess they needed this for factory warranty compliance.

So I am guess your tune is now similar to that? I like the sounds of what you are doing with this tune. Once I buy a COBB AP I'll be giving you guys a call for sure.

Reactions: ddfred

·
Registered
536 Posts
@ MonsterTuned: So my daughters Fiesta ST has a Mountune installed on it. Bought the car that way. I phoned them because I had never dealt with tunes before. I was wondering what fuel it needed. They stated that there tune worked with 91-94 octane as the tune changes for the fuel installed much the same way as the factory tune.
I guess they needed this for factory warranty compliance.

So I am guess your tune is now similar to that? I like the sounds of what you are doing with this tune. Once I buy a COBB AP I'll be giving you guys a call for sure.
There is a dealer installed Mountune with locked AP(MP215) I assume this is what you have, so it is possible it acts like stock. Mountune tunes with the Cobb AP are like normal tunes.

·
Vendor
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No revisions are needed, unless there is an issue in which we fully support our calibrations if a bug is found.

·
Super Moderator
2,740 Posts
I have my tune installed and learned, here are my thoughts.

I paid the $50 upgrade cost because I was running stage X V5 before.

The car is much smoother than before, boost comes on really predictably. It’s super easy to drive around town and to cruise. If you didn’t tell someone there was a tune on the car, they would think this is how a FoST comes from the factory. It’s really nice.

My OAR learned down to -0.75, it’s cold out now and I had no name gas in the tank. So that’s to be expected, this makes me feel better that it is accurately learning the fuel quality.

Ignition timing per cylinder no longer works, now you watch a new parameter called “ignition correction (global)” it behaves very similarly but as far as I understand acts as a single value for the whole engine.

The car learned the fastest under high gear and partial throttle. I took the car onto the highway and built 6lbs in 5th gear and then in 6th. It took a few light pulls like this to fully learn.

After that it’s been great, perfectly smooth very powerful and comes with great peace of mind knowing that it’s running safe on any premium gas I get.

Compared to all the tunes I’ve had before this is still on top. I think for stock turbo cars it’s the best you can get.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
1,919 Posts
My OAR learned down to -0.75, it’s cold out now and I had no name gas in the tank. So that’s to be expected, this makes me feel better that it is accurately learning the fuel quality.

Ignition timing per cylinder no longer works, now you watch a new parameter called “ignition correction (global)” it behaves very similarly but as far as I understand acts as a single value for the whole engine.

Compared to all the tunes I’ve had before this is still on top. I think for stock turbo cars it’s the best you can get.
Couple questions... 1) which tunes have you used prior to this one, and 2) what fuel were you running in it to get it down to -.75? 91, 92, 93, 94?

Strange that the ignition correction per cylinder doesn't work any longer for you. I updated my AP to the latest firmware and my ignition timing still works on my JST tune.

·
Vendor
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Our tunes are using global knock like factory. We worked with Cobb engineering to get datalog parameters to monitor ignition corrections with global knock (ign corr global) that requires the latest firmware to exist.

Per cylinder ign corr and knock count will not show anything except zero with global knock enabled.

·
Super Moderator
2,740 Posts
Couple questions... 1) which tunes have you used prior to this one, and 2) what fuel were you running in it to get it down to -.75? 91, 92, 93, 94?

Strange that the ignition correction per cylinder doesn't work any longer for you. I updated my AP to the latest firmware and my ignition timing still works on my JST tune.
That’s 93 octane in MA, we don’t have the best gas. Learned the tune on mobil and also ran shell, no change.

I had a tune from stratefied and a tune from freektune. Also ran stage 1 for a short time.

I believe that the reason that the per cylinder ignition correction doesn’t work is because this tune uses global ignition, that parameter does work. Interestingly enough global ignition doesn’t behave exactly the same way as the per cylinder ignition correction did. I haven’t quite learned how to read it yet or what it represents.

·
Vendor
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Our tunes are using global knock like factory. We worked with Cobb engineering to get datalog parameters to monitor ignition corrections with global knock (ign corr global) that requires the latest firmware to exist.

Per cylinder ign corr and knock count will bot show anything except zero with global knock enabled.

1 - 20 of 382 Posts