Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
672 Posts
The Getrag MMT6 variant used in the ST (Ford #CV6Z-7002-B) is built in Germany as shown in the photo. This is the crate that a new transmission came in that was installed into a member's car. Pretty much the only issue with these transmissions that I've seen is 2nd gear synchro failure, often with no warning. Only service option for this failure is a new transmission.

View attachment 61902
There any leads on what may be causing 2nd gear synchro to fail? When this has happened has it been covered under warranty? Sorry for all the questions. I love my ST but I've already had the stalling issues like crazy and it started at under 500 miles and still isn't fixed. Mine isn't in the recall dates either and symposer keeps acting up. I may do a delete on it later. Just wondering if that is something I may have to shell out cash for.

· Registered
422 Posts
Hope it goes good for ya. I'm unfornitly on Tranny no.3. Had bad Flywheel and bad Tranny. Somthing about the Springs in the flywheel not working right I dunno didn't ask a very busy tech to many Questions just wanted it Fixed.
Thanks, here are a couple pics of what we've found. Looks like the gear slider is gone also my clutch and flywheel looked to be shot. Check out my build thread for more.
Product Auto part Gear Metal Steel

Tire Automotive tire Metal Tread Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Metal Tread Auto part

Auto part Engine Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Disc brake

· Registered
422 Posts
Mileage on car is 32,000. But this is a daily driver and my drive to work is about 60 miles so I'm routinely driving 125-140 miles a day during the work week.

· Registered
2,023 Posts
Reactions: Falconjetman

· Registered
422 Posts
Do anything that would be hard on the clutch?
Not really, just driving the car, I get on it once in a while but I'm not doing high rev clutch dumps or anything. Haven't raced it or taken it to the track. Just been enjoying it as a daily driver.

· Super Moderator
2,386 Posts
I have a 2018 st and 2gear Synchro went out and I drove it for a long while now 2 gear is gone lol but I can’t really find any for our transmission can anyone help out?
This is an ancient thread. You probably won't get a response.

If you have a 2018, it's still under powertrain warranty. Have you tried contacting a dealership to have it looked at?

What mods have you done?

Otherwise, if you are looking for Synchro info, there's been many threads in the past on swapping them out:

Many vendors, like Mountune, have replacement Synchro sets:

· Administrator
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6spd, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
15,337 Posts

If you have a 2018, it's still under powertrain warranty. Have you tried contacting a dealership to have it looked at?

What mods have you done?

Otherwise, if you are looking for Synchro info, there's been many threads in the past on swapping them out:

He ground second gear into oblivion. He's going to need 1st/2nd shifter hub, a whole new second gear, 3rd is probably beat up from the 1-3 shift.

Once a synchro starts to grind, the shifter hub and gear are getting damaged. They are hard to source, and very expensive.

If OP is in the north east, I have some built gear stacks for sale. Saves a whole lot of hassle.

· Registered
4 Posts
He ground second gear into oblivion. He's going to need 1st/2nd shifter hub, a whole new second gear, 3rd is probably beat up from the 1-3 shift.

Once a synchro starts to grind, the shifter hub and gear are getting damaged. They are hard to source, and very expensive.

If OP is in the north east, I have some built gear stacks for sale. Saves a whole lot of hassle.
You are 100% correct lol and I am in Maryland im having trouble finding anything and it hard for me to pull the trigger on a used Trans for 1000 that could be worse then mine

· Registered
4 Posts

What mods have you done?

Im stock really but im at 60k miles I just emailed mountune and asked about damage gears when doing it so we’ll see and thanks everyone for the responses!🤙🏼

· Super Moderator
3,196 Posts
There is also jacks transmissions and Clarke transmissions. They offer the same thing as mountune. Not any major difference but just thought you’d like to have some more options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.