Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sorry if this is an old topic and i guess alot of it comes down to personal opinion, but here goes.

So i recently bhought my ST -14 and ofc i would want some uppgrades, but i really dont know where to look and sadly the car community around here is minimal, atleast the ford part :)

Exhaust - Would like it to be rather discrete, but still add some Engine noise in the cabin. The Mountune exhaust sounds good on Youtube, but its hard to tell from clips.
Is mountune considered a good brand?

Short shift - From what i read the boomba stuff seems popular, does the complete kit with shorter arm make it feel even better?
The stock feel from the shifter is my least favorite part of this car.

Filter - Does a complete induction kit make a big difference from just changing filter?

Rear motor mount - What brand?

Lowering springs - Would like to drop it atleast 1 inch, but i need something thats though as we sometimes get lots of snow in the Winters and there is alot o salt aswell.

I guess thats my first steps, i know this i alot of questions but im really excited about my new car and all the parts to get :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Im sorry if this is an old topic and i guess alot of it comes down to personal opinion, but here goes.

So i recently bhought my ST -14 and ofc i would want some uppgrades, but i really dont know where to look and sadly the car community around here is minimal, atleast the ford part :)

Exhaust - Would like it to be rather discrete, but still add some Engine noise in the cabin. The Mountune exhaust sounds good on Youtube, but its hard to tell from clips.

Short shift - From what i read the boomba stuff seems popular, does the complete kit with shorter arm make it feel even better?

Filter - Does a complete induction kit make a big difference from just changing filter?

Lowering springs - Would like to drop it atleast 1 inch, but i need something thats though as we sometimes get lots of snow in the Winters and there is alot o salt aswell.

I guess thats my first steps, i know this i alot of questions but im really excited about my new car and all the parts to get :)
Nothing wrong with Mountune and they work closely with Ford. Many of there parts are "warranty approved" so to speak if you have Ford install it. Although an exhaust should not void any warranty anyways. And best to hear them in person as recorded exhaust is not the best.

I have the Steeda short shift arm and plate but Boomba makes some great products. I agree that the factory shift setup is lame at best. Look into the arm and plate for maximum reduction is shift.

Filter makes absolutely no difference in this car other than sound and looks. The factory intake is sufficient until you get into big turbo territory. Also, ECU is regulated so you will get nothing without a tune.

I have the COBB rear motor mount and like it. Upgrading the motor mount will increase noise/vibrations/harshness especially in low RPM's but also calms down after breaking in. The stiffer the mount, the more NVH generally speaking. Also, front traction bar helps reduce NVH. Many like the stage 2 CPE as well. Also, I have the FSWerks front traction bar but TB Performance makes a nice one as well.

So many lowering springs to choose from. Bilstein and H&R are popular. I bought the YCW with Swift springs but have not got them yet.

Others will chime in but honestly it comes down to what you want from the car. A daily driver car maybe you don't want NVH where as a weekend track car/spirited driving car maybe you want the performance. Good luck to you! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
381 Posts

Responses in line:

Mountune is quality, but also on the pricy side. I am not a fan of their spaced out tips, but that's just my own opinion. It's a very quiet exhaust, so if you are looking for mild it's a good solution. I am a bit biased with Milltek products.

Boomba also makes good stuff and yeah the shifter feel is completely changed. I went with the ford short shifter kit and the mountune shift arm. It's a pretty comparable setup and really did help.

Complete induction kits are only for looks. Filters are mostly just for the sound. I gained no power using an aftermarket filter, nor did I lose any on my big turbo build going back to stock.

I had the CPE stage 2. I would not recommend going that far as the vibrations got old after awhile. Any one of the "Stage 1" RMMs are fine, such as Cobb or Mountune. Can't really go wrong with any of them.

Ford racing sells lowering springs, as does mountune. I ended up going with the complete mountune suspension as springs will shorten the life of the stock struts drastically. I would recommend doing it right the first time around.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow thats some fast replies! Thanks.

The 3 year warranty period is almost over, then i have some extended warranty untill -19, i need to have a chat with my Ford dealer to see how it all works.

About the filter, all i want is more induction noise as i will get the exhaust later, but no difference between a complete kit vs filter only?

And i actually like the height of the stock shifter, maybe a taller knob would solve that somewhat.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
660 Posts

The 3 year warranty period is almost over, then i have some extended warranty untill -19, i need to have a chat with my Ford dealer to see how it all works.

About the filter, all i want is more induction noise as i will get the exhaust later, but no difference between a complete kit vs filter only?

And i actually like the height of the stock shifter, maybe a taller knob would solve that somewhat.

Thanks guys!
You want induction noise then a green filter and remove the airbox lid and your wish will be granted.

·
Registered
660 Posts
haha thanks!

Driving without the lid has no downsides?
None at all until you want to put it back on and forget where you put it! :)

Reactions: Dexter and eza92

·
Registered
381 Posts

Thanks guys!
If you like the height of the stock shifter you could always try just doing the shift arm first and see if that's enough.

Noise wise a full intake vs the filter will not make any difference.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I looked at all the catbacks and picked MBSRP. first the sound is the perfect rumble. Inside cabin noise with the sound symposer is great. They all drone a bit. This one has limited amount on long up hills. Believe me, buy it you'll love it. Price is great as well.

·
Registered
272 Posts
As far as exhaust, I'm also going to vote Milltek. By far the best exhaust for our platform, and you can choose resonated/non-resonated.

Reactions: Dexter

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks guys!

From just looking at videos, i must say that i like the mountune exhaust the best, maybe im wrong but both the Mbrp and Milltek are louder right?

Also i was thinking about getting rid of the Sound symposer.

Another question, it was mentioned Before on this forum so i started looking at it and i cant find anything, but do you know if my rear wing was an option from factory?
I kind of want to get the bigger one now and dont know where to look.

IMG_20170319_125828.jpg
IMG_20170319_125559.jpg

·
Registered
138 Posts
Also i was thinking about getting rid of the Sound symposer.

Another question, it was mentioned Before on this forum so i started looking at it and i cant find anything, but do you know if my rear wing was an option from factory?
I kind of want to get the bigger one now and dont know where to look.
Have you checked out the borla? I bought the steeda symoser delete, but after I put the exhaust on, I liked the sound with the symposer installed so I returned the delete plate.

For the wing, Tuxedo ST Style Rear Roof Spoiler Boot Wings Lip Fit for Ford Focus Bumper 12-13 | eBay
I got that link from the focus fanatics forum and it looks like it fits well. Maybe you could try the wing risers with your current wing, but it might not look that good.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Borla exhaust seems really loud, am i right?
I wish i could hear them all in person, bur thats not possible im afraid.
TBH i havent seen another Focus ST around my hometown, ever!

Thank you for that link Mikey, maybe i should give that a try :)
And i think risers would look really bad with my current wing hehe.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dexter, it's not loud at all. When my windows are up, I wish it is louder...but with the windows down it sounds perfect. And although rather subtle, it's got nice gurgles and crackles!

And yea the risers would probably look corny on that lol, but you may end up wanting them with the ST wing anyway.

Let me know how it works out if you decide to go with that China waaang. (Otherwise, grab one off a totalled ST on here)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man i dont trust Ebay really, i Think i will try to find a oem later on instead, its not first on my to do list!

About the exhaust, that sounds really sweet, i will take a closer look at it!
I live in a really "quiet" neighborhood and its also considered rather lame (i guess ******* would be the matching term) to have a loud exhaust here, but still want to hear my love more!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So i got some stuf today!
Really impressed with the shipping from Boomba, from the US to SWE in 4 Days!

Any suggestions on what reduction % settings to use on the shifter kit ?

feerf.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New Questions :)

Would a facelift ST Steering Wheel work in the -14?

Been looking at the SS-Tuning steering Wheels also, how is their quality?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bump dammit! Will it fit!? xD

Man im really starting to love this car.. Took it to one of my favorite bike roads and beat it like hell and the damn tail just wants to go, i love it!

Actually booked myself to a trackday this summer, cant wait!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts