Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
This is exactly why I left mine on the lot and never looked back. I test drove it many times and went over it with a fine comb and to me 40K OTD for a awd ST was not going to happen. It's heavy and you can feel it. It's all hype and I'm sure people that paid 7-10k adm feel really stupid after driving that car for a while. I'm just glad I have a relative at Galpin and was allowed to analize the car before purchase. Mine was one of the first to hit the shores.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Ford
Vehicle Car seat Car Car seat cover Family car
Vehicle Auto part Engine Car Family car

·
Registered
672 Posts
I keep saying it this car is only worth 30k max.. I'll maybe get one used years down the road.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
If they think the brakes are the best part of the car, it must be truly abysmal indeed. I know there have been reports of brakes catching on fire, Motor Trend managed to light them up in their head-to-head with the Golf R, and I've witnessed the event myself on back roads that only caused a bit of fade in the ST's brakes (and an ST was leading the RS in that instance).

I'm curious to know what they think of the ST, as most publications that dare even breathe mention of the lowly ST in the same article or video as the RS seem to consider it rather pedestrian in comparison.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ah this guy again.

I remember when this was posted over at the RS forum and it turned out he was wrong about some of his details and started to backpedal.

I don't understand why people balk at the price. It's right in line with the competition. EVO, STI, Golf R. All around the same price. I can get an RS for less than an STI or Evo actually.
i feel like a lot of people around here are trying really hard to justify not buying an RS despite near universal acclaim.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I hope people read the entire thread as it's really not all that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ah this guy again.

I remember when this was posted over at the RS forum and it turned out he was wrong about some of his details and started to backpedal.

I don't understand why people balk at the price. It's right in line with the competition. EVO, STI, Golf R. All around the same price. I can get an RS for less than an STI or Evo actually.
i feel like a lot of people around here are trying really hard to justify not buying an RS despite near universal acclaim.
Disclaimer: I am not looking for a new car so this is all personal opinion from someone who has no skin in the game.

Perhaps things are different in Canada but around here the RS is still 7k above a STI or Golf R. (I got actual OTD quotes for all three in the past month) I haven't shopped EVO prices lately, so I cannot compare there. Given that 7k price difference, it would be pretty hard to justify going for a focus RS over the others. However, many people are claiming that markdowns have started to disappear. If that gap were to close a bit, I would give the RS more thought. After all, I do like my ST. I like the interior layout, I like how it drives, and I like how it looks. The RS is a step above in how it drives and how it looks. The interior is pretty much the same, so I would be comfortable with stepping into it. But is that familiarity worth the 7k premium over the other two? For me no. And I don't feel like I have to "try really hard" to justify that either.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I respect the RS and honestly I only had 30k budget when I bought my ST...if I had 40k, I would have given the RS a hard look. However, I still maintain that the ST is a better DD when you have to haul your spouse, kids, etc. Also, 80% of my driving is spent commuting or in traffic and when you aren't pushing the RS, it will always remind you that it's a 40k focus...no thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'll keep my Mustang and my ST. The way a Focus depreciates, a $40k RS is worth $25k when you drive it off the lot. I'll commute with my ST and beat on my Mustang on the track without having to worry about going into limp mode or catching the brakes on fire. $40k is getting into used C7 territory or put a little more with it and get a new GT350.

Reactions: darthroush

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I'm happy with my ST for now, haven't had it quite a year yet. I still want an RS, but I'm going to wait for a used one. Should be able to pick one up much cheaper in a couple years.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I'm happy with my ST for now, haven't had it quite a year yet. I still want an RS, but I'm going to wait for a used one. Should be able to pick one up much cheaper in a couple years.
Depends on if it follows the European trends, and the trends of the STI/Golf R/Evo here, or if it follows the ST in terms of depreciation, it might or might not end up being that inexpensive a few years from now.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
why is the transfer case so small....why is the axle so small. Why is the price so BIG?
What transfer case? The car has a power take off with a clutch to send power rearward in the MMT6, and a pair of clutch packs on the rear axle to vector torque inside the rear drive unit?

The price is set based on it's performance relative to it's competitive set. Why is a Golf R or Subaru WRX STI an acceptable option for the same price but somehow a hot Focus isn't?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
The rear diff is so small it overheats after one lap. What a joke.
Eh, based on one report from someone who was quite abusive to a car that sounded like it wasn't even broken in yet?

How come it hasn't happened during any of the media drives and extensive lapping sessions? All I've heard about other than this case was that they tended to chew through tires in drift mode.

Note they were also trying to sell aftermarket upgrades so of course they will crap all over a new car in order to make a name for themselves.

·
Registered
165 Posts
These guys do miss the point entirely though. It is a very capable family daily driver, with the potential to mod for racing. Not the other way round. Also, the more tuned it is the smaller the audience. Rather let it be customized for the application and the driver.
It's funny because they assume it's only going to be used for tarmac tracks. I read stuff like this in context. It's not to be taken as a knock on RS at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
696 Posts
Same boat.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Motorweek on Velocity got it into limp mode/FWD only mode in a couple of laps on their test.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts