Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one using the RS air box lid? If so, I have a 2014 ST. Got just the RS lid from EBAY, but having problems with fitment. Anyone else have any fitment issues? It's almost like the RS lid is a hair smaller than the ST airbox. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
it's supposed to be a direct fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. Messed with it for 20 mins. Got it on there, just didn't look or feel like it fit on there as good as the original.

·
Registered
505 Posts
How much did you pay for just the lid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Are you sure it was oem ford rs lid? Post a pic. I know the lid came with different size bolts (7mm) than the ST (8mm) but the lowers are supposed to be identical. There could be a slight difference in tolerances since the rs box is made in Europe and imported here.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/#/topics/677937?page=6

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paper works says OEM. What I found odd though, inside the lid it has part number, then under that, says Focus RS, then under that, says Focus ST. Sucks cause there's a guy ( in the UK I think) that 3D prints the RS lid, but it has the ST logo instead of RS. I didn't buy because I was worried about fitment issues. I paid $77 for just the lid, but didn't mind paying more for OEM, but still having fitment issues?

·
Registered
407 Posts
My guess is it's just your filter. I have a green filter and I've struggled to put my OEM air box lid on the few times I've had it off. The bolt holes never seem to want to line up unless it's absolutely perfect.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Paper works says OEM. What I found odd though, inside the lid it has part number, then under that, says Focus RS, then under that, says Focus ST. Sucks cause there's a guy ( in the UK I think) that 3D prints the RS lid, but it has the ST logo instead of RS. I didn't buy because I was worried about fitment issues. I paid $77 for just the lid, but didn't mind paying more for OEM, but still having fitment issues?
Why didn't you buy from a ford parts place like Tasca or bear nation it would be $65 for the complete box with a filter?

Reactions: Built25

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't want to have extra parts laying around. Wife already complains about all the car parts. I still have parts from my two previous vehicles and parts for my current GMC Jimmy project. I have a problem hoarding car parts.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
You could of sold the lower half and filter to a n/a 2.0 se/sel/ti owner

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe, but SE owners usually buy the whole part and swap. I paid, Tasca, $69 and change for mine shipped to NY, but depending on shipping it could cost much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Who is the guy?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,056 Posts

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Who is the guy?
I used the blank file to replace the insert on the RS lid and no complaints, found a company to print it on cloudcraft. $16ish shipped

No one makes the entire top cover that i am aware of.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used the blank file to replace the insert on the RS lid and no complaints, found a company to print it on cloudcraft. $16ish shipped

No one makes the entire top cover that i am aware of.
Is the insert removable or did you have to cut it? Is it glued down?

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Is the insert removable or did you have to cut it? Is it glued down?
its one piece, you cut out in pieces :)

I just used some snips to get the bulk of it out.

Then i used a rotary grinding bit to smooth down the rest. I just followed the lines from the bottom and just kept going until they match the insert i had printed. The insert fit snugly when i was done, i didnt even bother epoxying it in since it fit so tight

·
Registered
20 Posts
its one piece, you cut out in pieces :)

I just used some snips to get the bulk of it out.

Then i used a rotary grinding bit to smooth down the rest. I just followed the lines from the bottom and just kept going until they match the insert i had printed. The insert fit snugly when i was done, i didnt even bother epoxying it in since it fit so tight
Sounds too easy! Got a 3D printer too :) Have you had any issues with the filament melting?

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Sounds too easy! Got a 3D printer too :) Have you had any issues with the filament melting?
Just research what you are printing it with first. I had mine printed in PETG, Google says to set your working temps to above 235c when printing PETG. Knock on wood, my under the hood temps wont reach its melting point ;). With the RS design with that gasket that seals with the hood, its shielded from the direct engine bay heat anyways. PETG is also has good chemical/acidic/alkalic/water resistance, so should be just fine under the hood.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts