Ford Focus ST Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well I'd guess that if the majority feels excluded, it says something doesn't it.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
For those who felt alienated, did you spend any time getting to know anyone at the hotel for focus rising? You can't just show up and expect BFF invites. Ive been going to focus rising for 3 years and my first year I knew nobody. I made a few friends and since then that has exploded into a massive group of great friends. It just takes opening up and hanging out. Going out for dinner or to the cruise we have on Sunday afternoon. You gotta find some people to talk with and open your self up to things. Don't expect anyone to come hold your hand and make introductions to another 100 people.

We had an awards ceremony which not to many focus ST owners showed up to. None came on the cruise, a few came to dyno and of course everyone was on the show field. I talked to a few different focus ST owners but even at that I was out walking the field and having fun getting my car torn apart at the ford garage for the short shifter.

Bottom line, show up, do the events, meet new people and have a great time. I drive down from Ontario which is only about 7 hours, but it is the best time I have had at a car event aside from h2oi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wasn't at the hotel, since my in laws live so close. Next year I will be at the hotel, so look forward to meeting others. I personally went to the tent several times and struck up conversations with quite a few. I am not looking for hand holding but a little welcome goes a long way. I help run a club where we have new members show up all the time. The leaders of the club go out of our way to make them feel welcome. I guess I am just accustomed to that. Some did this, but not many.

I participated in everything I could during the day. Would have been there for dyno day, but limited on vacation. I understand built relationships, but it just felt like we were the odd people out. I think Shomare is just looking to add tot the fun with some ST love.

Wes

·
Registered
45 Posts
As each night got later and later everyone seemed to loosein up. Most people i talked to were good friends and dont see eachother exept at carsile. Maybe thats why some felt distant from other's. Ill be going next yr and bringing beer this time. Ran out of money so didnt have any this yr.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's one big part of focus rising is hanging out at the hotel at night having a few beers and fixing cars half the time or doing part swaps in the parking lot.

When you get in on the action it is a completely different experience

Just some examples... Like my balcony in 2012, Hershey cruise '13 and taking on a bagged focus in the limbo with some extra weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ron Myers and I put on Focus Rising not to exclude other groups or forums, but to bring them all together as a celebration of our love for these vehicles.

Ron and I are both in it as enthusiasts not as people with a "political agenda". When it came to judging, it was solely Ron and I that did the judging, and we both call it like we see it. We played no favorites to people who are members of FJ.

Also, the ST owners lead the caravan to the showfield. I also spent time in th parking lot talking to ST owners. There is a large number of people who return year after year to Focus Rising to see old friends, but we want to embrace new attendees as well.

If you felt alienated, I do apologize as that was not our intention. What would you suggest we can do different to reduce the chance of that happening?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
227 Posts
And a fine Job you and Ron did Jason. We should talk about planning for this years event. Shoot me a PM or email.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well, ill tell you this. I am about the most open and forward person you will meet. I never go anywhere where I can't make friends. I plan on attending. If I feel alienated, then that saying something.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
601 Posts
I vote for a ST Only group. I think we will have the numbers to get a tent.

I was one of the ST owners who felt unwelcome last year at Focus Rising...I will not participate again with this group.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I think we should give it another chance. We have made out feelings known, let's give the organizers a chance to respond and make their plans. I have a feeling it will be better this year. If not, we can deal with it then. That's my thoughts anyway.

Wes

·
Registered
10 Posts
I vote for a ST Only group. I think we will have the numbers to get a tent.

I was one of the ST owners who felt unwelcome last year at Focus Rising...I will not participate again with this group.
Can you elaborate on exactly what made you feel unwelcome? What would you rather seen happen to make you feel welcome?

We have spent 5 years bringing together all if the Focus forums into a combined event at the Carlisle Nationals to show our community and strength In those 5 years we have grabbed the top club twice, 2nd once, and 3rd once. This at an event with over 2000 Mustangs. That says something when you have unity within a small group that can defeat even the large Mustang groups.

There are new people who show up every year and many of them return year after year because of the fun they had. These comments of feeling "unwelcome" is the first feedback like this we have had from any group, that is why I am asking for specific details as to what made you, or anyone else, feel that way.

2013 was a transition year as one of the original organizers moved on to greater things and I took a larger role in planning and Ron Myers came in for his first event with Focus Rising. This was not the first event Ron has put on. He organized Jetfest in 2005 with over 180 Focus owners participating, and Jetfest 2 in 2007. This was his first "piggyback" event that coincided with another larger event. With his first exposure to Carlisle under his belt, he now has ideas to improve the meet in 2014.

2013 was my 4th Focus Rising and 3rd that I helped organize. However there was a kink in plans during the showfield on Saturday as one of my friends, who drove to PA with me from OK, got extremely sick. I had to rush him to the hospital at about noon on Saturday and was there until past midnight as he had emergency surgery. I set up the judging, awards, and Limbo and then I wasn't at the show to help with it all. I was communicating with the rest of the staff via text and phone when possible, but it didn't go as smoothly as planned, and for that I do apologize.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
My feel is that many of the ST guys, myself included were new to the scene. I really think we should just all give it another shot and see how it goes this year. I heard a few negative comments about the ST, but we really shouldn't discount all the guys by comments from a few. I am going to try harder to get others to open up. All we can ask is that others do the same. I really believe all will be fine. It is just good to get these things aired out and move on.

In the end the ST guys don't have a bunch to talk about with older gen Foci. All of the mods are different and there is a different mentality between the cars. However, we are all car guys and can and should appreciate the others rides. That, to me, means taking an interest in other rides and others taking an interest in mine. Those are just my two cents on the subject.

Wes

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm in for the weekend - 7th and (sleep in my car lol jk) 8th...

·
Registered
960 Posts
We plan on doing Cai,shifter and exhaust installs at the garage this year..we had a real nice st turn out last year, id like to double it.
Will you be only installing parts that you are selling at the show. Or could you bring your own parts? Just curious, I like helping people and doing some wrenching as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
PA has some strict laws about selling. You won't be able to sell on the showfield easily at all without getting harassed by the tax man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
2014 Carlisle All Ford Nationals

But, you can trade or sell at the hotel.

Usually, we make a list of items for sale or trade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
41 - 60 of 71 Posts