Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
May set up something outside FR for ST owners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't want to create an Us vs Them but we ST owners were kind of on the periphery of that event and I was thinking along the lines of an event within the event. I'm and old school Focus owner, the ST is my third Focus so this isn't about snobbery as some would think. If anything, it has been the non ST owners who think ST owners are "not worthy" turbo chasers.

Also won't be about Forum as I belong to many Focus / ST forums. The event should be for enthusiast / owners by enthusiast owners.

Feel free to chime in as I'm going to probably stick my neck out as an organizer of the event this year.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I don't want to create an Us vs Them but we ST owners were kind of on the periphery of that event and I was thinking along the lines of an event within the event. I'm and old school Focus owner, the ST is my third Focus so this isn't about snobbery as some would think. If anything, it has been the non ST owners who think ST owners are "not worthy" turbo chasers.

Also won't be about Forum as I belong to many Focus / ST forums. The event should be for enthusiast / owners by enthusiast owners.

Feel free to chime in as I'm going to probably stick my neck out as an organizer of the event this year.
I tend to agree with your comments. I certainly didn't feel overly welcome by the older gen Focus owners. That may have been because I am new to the Focus, but that wasn't the vibe I was getting. I also heard quite a few negative comments about the new ST. Anyway, I like the idea of having it all under Focusrising with a sub group for the ST. For a first year car we had quite a lot of participants. I believe it was around 20 something there. Just as long as you don't make me join the yellow Mustang group I am good. ;)

Wes

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'll post info as I know more. Got some networking to do.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sure do. Several times during the day. I participated in the morning group last year.

·
Registered
519 Posts

Why separate youselves?

I've owned a 2000 Focus ZX3, a 2004 Focus SVT and a 2009 Focus SES Coupe and I have always been on FJ since the beginning. I probably always will be no matter what car I own. Some of my good friends are MKI owners so I couldn't see myself trying alienating from them just cause I own an ST. It's still just a Focus anyway. :p

I'm sure Ken will have ST specific awards for you guys.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Why separate youselves?

I've owned a 2000 Focus ZX3, a 2004 Focus SVT and a 2009 Focus SES Coupe and I have always been on FJ since the beginning. I probably always will be no matter what car I own. Some of my good friends are MKI owners so I couldn't see myself trying alienating from them just cause I own an ST. It's still just a Focus anyway. :p

I'm sure Ken will have ST specific awards for you guys.
That's the problem, I felt alienated last year anyway. It felt like it was the ST and then the Focus. Maybe it was just me though. Perhaps I am too sensitive.

Wes

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nope. We were alienated, not just you. Not for a lack of trying.

Like I said, I'm a Focus fan and would like to include everyone but I'm thinking we need to carve out some ST specific events and awards.

Unfortunately, there are politics involved behind the scene that are unnecessary but undeniable.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Nope. We were alienated, not just you. Not for a lack of trying.

Like I said, I'm a Focus fan and would like to include everyone but I'm thinking we need to carve out some ST specific events and awards.

Unfortunately, there are politics involved behind the scene that are unnecessary but undeniable.
I don't know about how it went down at Carlisle as I went to the Ford Fun Weekend in Illinois instead for Focus Fest and if anything it seemed much less segregated than it sounds like the All Ford Nationals was.

I avoided the Auto-x though since I had just driven on an actual circuit for an HPDE the Friday before the event, and I didn't want to thrash the car in a tiny penned in area of parking lot with unforgiving concrete barriers inches away. Some one wrecked a 5.0 L Ranger there during the weekend as well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That's the problem, I felt alienated last year anyway. It felt like it was the ST and then the Focus. Maybe it was just me though. Perhaps I am too sensitive.

Wes
I had the same feeling myself. I owned the Black ST next to yours Wes, the dirty one :(

·
Registered
795 Posts

Wes
nope wasn't you, i liked the turnout of the ST's, but disliked about everything else due to alienation from non ST people and even more from people with the Mustangs ( your not unique special people stangs, there was a whole fairgrounds filled with stangs of every color, mainly yellow ). why i ended up leaving early, didnt stay for the whole thing

·
Registered
45 Posts
2014 Carlisle All Ford Nationals

Most of the people that welcomed me as a first time atendant and talked were st guys. Spent some time sat i think talking to a few st people in the parking lot at the hotel.

Edit: plus didnt meet any rude or obnotious owners either.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I will be down for this. I should have most of my mods on the st by then. Looking forward to seeing other st owners.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
For those who felt alienated, did you spend any time getting to know anyone at the hotel for focus rising? You can't just show up and expect BFF invites. Ive been going to focus rising for 3 years and my first year I knew nobody. I made a few friends and since then that has exploded into a massive group of great friends. It just takes opening up and hanging out. Going out for dinner or to the cruise we have on Sunday afternoon. You gotta find some people to talk with and open your self up to things. Don't expect anyone to come hold your hand and make introductions to another 100 people.

We had an awards ceremony which not to many focus ST owners showed up to. None came on the cruise, a few came to dyno and of course everyone was on the show field. I talked to a few different focus ST owners but even at that I was out walking the field and having fun getting my car torn apart at the ford garage for the short shifter.

Bottom line, show up, do the events, meet new people and have a great time. I drive down from Ontario which is only about 7 hours, but it is the best time I have had at a car event aside from h2oi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
246 Posts
I'll be going again this year for sure (5th year as a participant). I registered last year with FR, even though I was showing my Ranger. I was amazed how many STs showed-up for a first year model. Hopefully there will be many more STs there this year. It would also be nice if they did separate stock and modified classes for the ST this year. See you all in June!
Mike

·
Registered
227 Posts
2014 Carlisle All Ford Nationals

For those who felt alienated, did you spend any time getting to know anyone at the hotel for focus rising? You can't just show up and expect BFF invites. Ive been going to focus rising for 3 years and my first year I knew nobody. I made a few friends and since then that has exploded into a massive group of great friends. It just takes opening up and hanging out. Going out for dinner or to the cruise we have on Sunday afternoon. You gotta find some people to talk with and open your self up to things. Don't expect anyone to come hold your hand and make introductions to another 100 people.

We had an awards ceremony which not to many focus ST owners showed up to. None came on the cruise, a few came to dyno and of course everyone was on the show field. I talked to a few different focus ST owners but even at that I was out walking the field and having fun getting my car torn apart at the ford garage for the short shifter.

Bottom line, show up, do the events, meet new people and have a great time. I drive down from Ontario which is only about 7 hours, but it is the best time I have had at a car event aside from h2oi

Yes, spent lots of time getting to know folks (knew many as a long time FJ member) at the hotel and on the field. Your award's ceremony was pretty much by and for FJ and FJ members. I think that needs to change.

Not that all that was done by FJ wasn't appreciated, because it took a lot to get everyone organized. What I'm proposing is a ST gathering for ST owners. I don't care what forum you're on or have been on. Eliminate that political BS and maybe there will be more interaction.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wasn't aware of any political BS my self, aside from a couple ST owners driving douchey on the way to the show field and people talked about that. Do something ST based by all means, but then your just segregating from the focus crowd even more.

Also of course the awards ceremony is going to be FJ based, it was the first year for the focus st not the 14th. We all know the focus has been around since 2000 here in North America. Many that come to focus rising have been around a long time so there is trivia sometimes for prizes but even then there was new focus content involved into everything.

I just don't get why people feel like they were treated wrong or didn't feel welcomed.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts