Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of purchasing a Focus ST. I didn't know what ST1, 2, 3 was? There's no performance upgrades correct? They're mainly creature comforts? Is it best to get the ST1 and use the money saved for mods? I was also considering the Fiesta ST, but I think after a brief study, the Focus ST is more bang for the buck correct? I actually drove both yesterday. I could see why folks like the fiesta ST, but the focus felt like it was built better! Obviously had more torque and HP. I had more fun in the focus than the fiesta. I wasn't sure how much of that was attributed to the salesman accompanying me on the fiesta st drive. He didn't come with me on the Focus ST drive. I still drove spirited with him in there, I may have sub-conscientiously toned it back a bit. He said he got motion sick, so I must have given him a good ride. haha. Most of the articles I have read says the Fiesta ST is more fun, but the Focus ST is faster. I thought they were both fun, but the Focus was Funner.

I digress, any help for a newb would be appreciated. I'm seeing them in the 19k range around here. With MSRP's ranging from 25-30k. They all seem to be the same final price regardless of MSRP? I'm looking for a Fun commuter car.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I've been thinking of purchasing a Focus ST. I didn't know what ST1, 2, 3 was? There's no performance upgrades correct? They're mainly creature comforts? Is it best to get the ST1 and use the money saved for mods? I was also considering the Fiesta ST, but I think after a brief study, the Focus ST is more bang for the buck correct? I actually drove both yesterday. I could see why folks like the fiesta ST, but the focus felt like it was built better! Obviously had more torque and HP. I had more fun in the focus than the fiesta. I wasn't sure how much of that was attributed to the salesman accompanying me on the fiesta st drive. He didn't come with me on the Focus ST drive. I still drove spirited with him in there, I may have sub-conscientiously toned it back a bit. He said he got motion sick, so I must have given him a good ride. haha. Most of the articles I have read says the Fiesta ST is more fun, but the Focus ST is faster. I thought they were both fun, but the Focus was Funner.

I digress, any help for a newb would be appreciated. I'm seeing them in the 19k range around here. With MSRP's ranging from 25-30k. They all seem to be the same final price regardless of MSRP? I'm looking for a Fun commuter car.
I opted for the ST2 to get the Recaro's and saved the rest of the money for mods. The FOST is faster than the FIST and has more room. You are correct there are no differences in performance based on package 1,2, or 3.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Same motor and power and general performance, different interior stuff, headlights, wheels etc. I suppose one performance thing is the option of All-Seasons over the Goodyear Eagle F1 summer tires, not sure if that's an option on all trims or what. If you super care about performance, ST1 is the lightest. As for which is better or more fun, that's up to you. If you consider a $5k difference financed over 5 years "saving money for mods", then yeah, do that, but otherwise it's not like you will just have a mountain of cash lying around 2 weeks after buying an ST1 instead of an ST3, unless you pay full price in cash, then yeah go nuts. An ST1 has an MSRP of 24k I think up to 32K for an ST3 I believe. The out the door price will absolutely vary based on that and if you choose any warranty add ons or anything like that

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
115 Posts
The tires can be optioned no matter which trim you go for. However, in colder climates you may find that the cars on the lot have the Pirelli A/S equipped instead of the Goodyear summers. Other than that there's no huge differences between the trims.

I was looking at an ST2 (by option packs the dealers will see them as 400a for ST1, 401a for ST2, 402a for ST3) but decided to go for the ST3 to get the heated seats and steering wheel. Worth the extra to me. :)

Be sure to check the "what is everyone paying" sticky thread in this forum and check the rebates in your area if you're buying new. Both were a great help to me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
This is for 2018 (and I'm 99% positive the 2017 as well)

ST2 (401A package)
- everything ST1 has
- cornering lamps
- dual zone climate control
- HD radio
- overhead console
- power moonroof
- partial leather Recaros
- CD player
- SiriusXM
- Sony 10 speaker audio (ST1 has 6)
- Sync3

ST3 (402A package)
- everything ST2 has
- 8-way power driver seat
- heated steering wheel
- heated sideview mirrors
- heated seats
- full leather Recaros
- rear armrest
- keyless entry keypad
- carbonfiber accent package (ebrake handle, shift knob, door grab handles, boost gage bezel)
- Sync3 with navigation and a 5 year subscription to SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link

Which trim level you choose is totally up to you and your budget. Personally, Sync3 w/ navigation, winter package, and full leather Recaros are 110% worth paying for the ST3.
No performance differences between the trims (other than weight, the more features the more weight).

And as for FoST or FiST, I think that comes down to power and size. If you want more power, go for the FoST and if you want more trunk/hatch size then go for the FoST.

Reactions: dan1101

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I opted for the ST2 to get the Recaro's and saved the rest of the money for mods. The FOST is faster than the FIST and has more room. You are correct there are no differences in performance based on package 1,2, or 3.
Thanks for the info on the performance. Its good to know all three are equal from a performance perspective.

If you consider a $5k difference financed over 5 years "saving money for mods", then yeah, do that, but otherwise it's not like you will just have a mountain of cash lying around 2 weeks after buying an ST1 instead of an ST3, unless you pay full price in cash, then yeah go nuts.
Yeah I am planning on paying cash, but even if I were financing I'd still be looking at price diff between the models and seeing how much bang for the buck there is to be had. Thanks for the info on the tires, that's good to know! I have a feeling I may wind up with two sets of tires/wheels. I do luv squirreling around on summer tires during the summer, but driving in the rain up in the "Great North West" with them on for 8 MONTHS kinda gets old.

Personally, Sync3 w/ navigation, winter package, and full leather Recaros are 110% worth paying for the ST3.
Thanks for all the info, the package numbers and option lists will make shopping a lot easier! Sync 3, Winter package and a better stereo are tempting, I just need to decide if its worth the 5k. I will be spending more time in this car because it will be a commuter, that's a vote FOR going with the extras. I'm just wonderin' if i'm too Fat for the recaros. I do have recaros in my other car and like them, even though they are a little snug.

I want to thank all that replied for all the useful info! As far as I can tell, the FoSt is the best bang for the buck in the 20k price range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts