Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Here is how mine came. You can see it poking out of the end of the box. This box, if the same as yours, IS NOT the right size box as you stated. It should be longer and have packing material on either end and even wrapped around the wing. With one end open if you put the wing in the box, the opened end can't be closed without pushing down on the wing, which bows it inside the box in order to fit it. And partially why it broke free from one end on my box because of how they handle the boxes.

1AD8A96A-AE0C-421A-ADED-D78F3E7FDD08_zpskcqas926.jpg

D1E73C1E-DA75-48EB-90F0-2ADB3B6643E9_zps35rpktxr.jpg

·
Registered
283 Posts
Was there ever pics of this? Anyone have pics of it installed?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Here is how mine came. You can see it poking out of the end of the box. This box, if the same as yours, IS NOT the right size box as you stated. It should be longer and have packing material on either end and even wrapped around the wing. With one end open if you put the wing in the box, the opened end can't be closed without pushing down on the wing, which bows it inside the box in order to fit it. And partially why it broke free from one end on my box because of how they handle the boxes.

View attachment 50557

View attachment 50558
This looks like the same box, but I'm pretty sure it was long enough for my wing.... You are right though there are no stuffing inside, just a bag. I wouldn't ship it painted like this but the wing feels strong enough.

Have you test fitted it? It seems to be a bit too wide for the car, i have to bend it quite hard to wrap it around. I'm not sure how the tape will cope under constant stress pulling itself apart. Im gonna have to keep bending it till it fits naturally before bringing it to the painters.

·
Registered
807 Posts
This looks like the same box, but I'm pretty sure it was long enough for my wing.... You are right though there are no stuffing inside, just a bag. I wouldn't ship it painted like this but the wing feels strong enough.

Have you test fitted it? It seems to be a bit too wide for the car, i have to bend it quite hard to wrap it around. I'm not sure how the tape will cope under constant stress pulling itself apart. Im gonna have to keep bending it till it fits naturally before bringing it to the painters.
I just laid it up against the hatch and yeah, you do need to bow it some in order to have the body lines match up. What I was going to do is remove the tape they provide and put a wider 3m panel tape on it instead. It would hold a lot better and you can get the tape at any autopart store. then when ready to install I would probably leave it outside in the sun in hopes that it would help the flexibility during install.

That said, I jumped the gun on purchase. I was excited to see a midwing that wasn't like a duck bill. Subtle but noticeable. However, I really should have used the money towards a downpipe to finish off the power mods first. So I might be putting this up for sale unfortunately and just pick one up again at a later date

·
Registered
385 Posts
You can try to use blue tape over the outside of it just to hold it in place.
And maybe it would help shape it the way it needs to be.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just laid it up against the hatch and yeah, you do need to bow it some in order to have the body lines match up. What I was going to do is remove the tape they provide and put a wider 3m panel tape on it instead. It would hold a lot better and you can get the tape at any autopart store. then when ready to install I would probably leave it outside in the sun in hopes that it would help the flexibility during install.

That said, I jumped the gun on purchase. I was excited to see a midwing that wasn't like a duck bill. Subtle but noticeable. However, I really should have used the money towards a downpipe to finish off the power mods first. So I might be putting this up for sale unfortunately and just pick one up again at a later date
Yeah, I bought the 3m stuff too. I'm the opposite, I'm doing the appearance mods first, gonna leave the power stuff later, still enjoying the car as is. (Lot cheaper too)

You can try to use blue tape over the outside of it just to hold it in place.
And maybe it would help shape it the way it needs to be.
Good idea, I only have silver ducttape, too ghetto?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yeah, I bought the 3m stuff too. I'm the opposite, I'm doing the appearance mods first, gonna leave the power stuff later, still enjoying the car as is. (Lot cheaper too)

Good idea, I only have silver ducttape, too ghetto?
Just might leave residue is all.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts