Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2017 ST2, K&N filter, Exhaust, Turbosmart Kompact Dualport BOV, true vacuum port, symposer delete
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i’m thinking about getting a FMIC, but with so many choices, i thought about getting an experienced opinion on which one i should get. Also, i don’t feel like spending extra money on the excess pipes, just want the intercooler itself that will fit with the stock pipes. And if anybody has a link or pictures of a dyno sheet before and after a FMIC, that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,056 Posts
Well based on your previous post about who would win, you or your friend. I'm just going to suggest that you don't advance and "stages" of tuning and simply use the Accessport (if equipped) to monitor your current engine condition.

1. Compression test
2. Pick a realistic power goal
3. Contact any of the reputable companies here (Monster, Egde, Stratified, JST, etc.) And ask about packaging items to meet those goals.
4. Read through this forum because if you have a question then it's likely been asked a thousand times. Searching before posting is always advisable to keep the forum organized and to keeps these sharks from circling when the smell new blood.

Making sure everything is in good working condition before modifications begin will save you a world of heartache (and money)

J

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,743 Posts
It's not necessarily what's the best, it's what you can get now vs waiting months.

Lots of people have trouble with hoses blowing off and use hair spray, get bigger clamps, etc.
If you're not going big turbo, I would get the one that has the best looking hose connections and is not super thick monster size.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I would start with stickers and then work your way up from there kid!!!

Forehead Hand Arm Neck Sleeve

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,943 Posts
FYI intercooler will not give you more power.
While you're technically correct it prevents the loss of power therefore making the car faster.

If you do a 1st through 4th pull, your engine gradually makes less and less power as you accelerate with the stock IC. With the aftermakret IC, you maintain horsepower through the pull. So the car does accelerate faster because it isnt losing any power.

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST2
57 Posts
Although I went with a Monster Tuned FMIC, this thread was helpful in deciding what to get. It hasn’t been updated in a while, but it should get you started with some options. You’ll also get a sense of what to look for in a quality FMIC.
Here's a good dose of "Daily Elitist Opinions" with your host, Duece McCracken.

Well, I like nice fullsize cores with proper facing endtanks that aren't tucked behind the crash bar like a fool designed it. None of the Universal core BS either, with 90 couples and additional crap.

I also prefer the factory mounting locations.

My picks for FMIC are CP-e as top dawg, Whoosh as best budget, and Depot as a disposable FMIC that a kid made. ESP doesnt look bad at all. Garrett is nice, but now you are getting close to CP-e money. Mishimoto has a 4.3" core, which is a great middle ground for a 3.5 versus a 5.5",.

The Mountune isn't a great design, FSwerks isn't a great setup, Depot is super rough fit and finish with ** hardware, Altitude Autoworks is just awkward and may have gone out of business, Cobb is over priced, CXR is ghetto, Levels has the bov flange but everything else about it I just don't like, Vortech is 1k dollar tiny piece of **, For some reason I just dislike Steeda, Process West is super dumb design, ATP fmic is a poor design/ nice core though, NPBoosted has airguides but seems super cheap, ETS has flimsy mounting tabs , DaVinci performance is some garage made crap for 450, Treadstone TR8 builds are very budget but too close to Depot/Whoosh prices.

That covers the FMIC off the top of my head.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'll have a very newish Cobb IC in the classifieds by the end of this weekend...

·
Registered
2017 ST2, K&N filter, Exhaust, Turbosmart Kompact Dualport BOV, true vacuum port, symposer delete
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not necessarily what's the best, it's what you can get now vs waiting months.

Lots of people have trouble with hoses blowing off and use hair spray, get bigger clamps, etc.
If you're not going big turbo, I would get the one that has the best looking hose connections and is not super thick monster size.
I don’t think I’m going to go big turbo BECAUSE while I haven’t looked at it, i don’t think that going down the big turbo route will keep the car reliable. Obviously, if you do it right, it should (in a sense) be reliable. I know there a lot of people on this forum that daily stage 3 and say that they still get sufficient MPG. My main concern is reliability, as my only other car is a 30 y/o dodge Dakota.

Peanut

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,943 Posts
I don’t think I’m going to go big turbo BECAUSE while I haven’t looked at it, i don’t think that going down the big turbo route will keep the car reliable. Obviously, if you do it right, it should (in a sense) be reliable. I know there a lot of people on this forum that daily stage 3 and say that they still get sufficient MPG. My main concern is reliability, as my only other car is a 30 y/o dodge Dakota.

Peanut
Its very easy to LSPi with a tune using the stock turbo. You can run one of the smaller sized big turbo options and tune conservative around 330whp and the thing will live forever.

It's just all how you drive, how you care for it, and your power goals.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How much would that build cost, as I’m not exactly drowning
Its very easy to LSPi with a tune using the stock turbo. You can run one of the smaller sized big turbo options and tune conservative around 330whp and the thing will live forever.

It's just all how you drive, how you care for it, and your power goals.
How much would that cost, because I’m not exactly drowning in money either.

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts
Youd need to already have an FMIC, downpipe, larger diameter intake pipe (stock airbox) and a high flow air filter.

Between the accessport, custom tune, turbo kit, bov setup, and some misc things youll be around 3000 with a BNR turbo or 3400 with a Garrett (atp) turbo.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Youd need to already have an FMIC, downpipe, larger diameter intake pipe (stock airbox) and a high flow air filter.

Between the accessport, custom tune, turbo kit, bov setup, and some misc things youll be around 3000 with a BNR turbo or 3400 with a Garrett (atp) turbo.
by large diamter intake pipe, do you mean something like this? 13-18 Focus ST Agency Power Hard Turbo Inlet Pipe

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
any 3" intake will do...

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
oooohhhh the company is called "Stage 3" Powersports, they must know what they're talkin about!!! 🤣

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I would grab that Cobb fmic that just posted in the FS section if I were you!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts