Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2016 Focus St plan on getting a access-port soon but also will be getting a better FMIC because heard a lot of people say stick ones are trash. Been wanting to go with a Depo Racing IC but they’re out of stock for a while now I see. Any other intercoolers that are direct bolt on with no extra stuff needed? Just plug and play and work better than the stock unit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a CPE lightweight, probably not the cheapest, but came with everything needed, installed pretty easy, no drilling or any modifications required other than the removal of the shutters.

Most importantly, it works really well, but the same can be said for most aftermarket fmic’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: xTheMan42

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
617 Posts
I picked up an ESP intercooler back in April and it helped my charge temps tremendously. Never gets more than 8 or 9 degrees above ambient now. Install was pretty easy, it mounted up very solidly, and right now they actually have them in stock: ESP intercooler

Son of a gun... you can get them in black or silver now, and with or without the ESP stencil.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
You could check out 52 pages of the original thread from 2013:

But I recently read this, long after having gotten one:

Ymmv but they’re all improvements

·
Premium Member
2017 Kona Blue ST1
773 Posts
I have had excellent luck with my depo racing IC.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a CPE lightweight, probably not the cheapest, but came with everything needed, installed pretty easy, no drilling or any modifications required other than the removal of the shutters.

Most importantly, it works really well, but the same can be said for most aftermarket fmic’s

No cel or anything after removing that?

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked up an ESP intercooler back in April and it helped my charge temps tremendously. Never gets more than 8 or 9 degrees above ambient now. Install was pretty easy, it mounted up very solidly, and right now they actually have them in stock: ESP intercooler

Son of a gun... you can get them in black or silver now, and with or without the ESP stencil.
No issues with installing might go for this since it’ll be awhile for the depo racing intercoolers how’s it holding up since you had it? Temps stay pretty cool?

·
Vendor
481 Posts
American made in Texas

·
Registered
103 Posts
No cel or anything after removing that?
Should add, I removed the motor from the shutters and left it connected tied up with the wiring. But unplugged it won’t cause a light on the dash, but a soft code that can still be read.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Should add, I removed the motor from the shutters and left it connected tied up with the wiring. But unplugged it won’t cause a light on the dash, but a soft code that can still be read.

That code won’t hurt anything will it? Just didn’t want any dash lights on or any issues w running the IC

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ford Motorsport offers instructions on installing their performance FMIC (which is/was manufactured by Mountune). In those instructions (shown here: https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHT2363-IC-AA.PDF) Ford advises that the AGS be removed, and the plug taped over to protect it from the elements (see step 24). We followed this installation when Duece and I installed the Mountune MRX Front Mount Intercooler on my otherwise stock 2017 Focus ST, a few weeks ago, and it showed no codes, lights or aberrant behavior. Works perfectly, and is black, and is not noticeable from the front of the car.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kona Blue ST1
773 Posts
The actuator motor is easily removed from the AGS bracket (regardless of IC manufacturer). Just make sure that you relocate it to the side a nd secure it to prevent damage. I had mine that way before the AP3 was compatible with my model year.

You won't have a code.

J

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The actuator motor is easily removed from the AGS bracket (regardless of IC manufacturer). Just make sure that you relocate it to the side a nd secure it to prevent damage. I had mine that way before the AP3 was compatible with my model year.

You won't have a code.

J
Thank you

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
617 Posts
No issues with installing might go for this since it’ll be awhile for the depo racing intercoolers how’s it holding up since you had it? Temps stay pretty cool?
It's holding up fine. Has a few chips in the stencil from rocks hitting it, but other than that it's been good for the last almost 7000 miles since April. I have some data logs in the performance sub-forum if you want to look at my charge temps during some 3rd gear pulls. I think they went up a couple degrees is all.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've got the ESP on order, it should be here relatively soon. I really like the way it mounts vice the Depo, which was my other preference.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Wmi better than big intercooler?
No. Because meth will be injected after the IAT (map) sensor. So you PCM will already be derating engine power in spite of the high temps, with no way to measure The newly-dropped temps from the meth.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've got the ESP on order, it should be here relatively soon. I really like the way it mounts vice the Depo, which was my other preference.
Might consider that one as well compared to the other prices

1 - 20 of 53 Posts