Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeah I know, another FMIC thread! And, yes I've used the search function. There is so much info around it makes my head spin, but no real answer to what I'm looking for.
Looking to find the best FMIC for my driving scenario. Here's what I currently have (or see my signature). '16 ST1 MBRP catback, Stratified Flash tune, Mountune intake, 1 step colder plugs. Stock turbo.
I occasionally like to "get all over it" but no drag racing or track days. I know that the hot humid stuff will be coming soon, and that's not great for turbo equipped cars. Looking for a FMIC that will help in the soupy months, but not unnecessarily large. Which one would be a nice step up from our stock unit? Not too concerned with price, but of course the cheaper the better.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Cpe-lightweight from Stratified (that's what I used.... Works great and is all I'll , and sounds like you, need)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've got the steeda Street/Comp. Not sure how it's going to act in the hot weather.... But I've heard good things about it. Price is Right too...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far it looks like the CP-e lightweight is the one I want. It was actually the one I was initially leaning towards. I also thought that the Mountune might be pretty good. They always seem to make high quality stuff.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
CP-E lightweight/Depo 3.5" is my recommendation, it's seriously good. Stays within 15* of ambient even after back to back to back pulls, and sheds heat quickly too.

FYI, Depo is the exact same cooler as the CP-E but cheaper because it's made in China. Some people have concerns about buying a knockoff (albeit equal quality) part. Let your conscience be your guide...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I went for the mountune because for us the CPE falls expensive. I live in adverse climate in ME and have the Mountune. Couldn't be happier. It a straight fit with not mods. Its much larger core than OE but width is less than our OE unit. Works well as a DD, auto x and track.

My mate has the CPE and is on a BT. He did not like the fact that the CPE was a weight monster on the car nose and also he mentioned the fitting being a bit flimsy. Apart from that he said the CPE did the job very well with the charge temps though on track days he saw engine temps rising a lot. His now moved on to Mountune after seeing mine. His a happy camper.

Reactions: gtx2867_ST

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
I went for the mountune because for us the CPE falls expensive. I live in adverse climate in ME and have the Mountune. Couldn't be happier. It a straight fit with not mods. Its much larger core than OE but width is less than our OE unit. Works well as a DD, auto x and track.

My mate has the CPE and is on a BT. He did not like the fact that the CPE was a weight monster on the car nose and also he mentioned the fitting being a bit flimsy. Apart from that he said the CPE did the job very well with the charge temps though on track days he saw engine temps rising a lot. His now moved on to Mountune after seeing mine. His a happy camper.
Cp-e does have a lightweight version. As for being overseas I can see why Mountune is cheaper. They are made in the UK where cp-e is made in the US.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought a Mountune. I got it because it was a tube and fin and you don't have to drill into the body to install. Maintaining air flow to the radiator was more important for my type of driving than the lowest possible charge temperature.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just throwing it out there, I've been very happy with my FSwerks FMIC. Its been great for the price ($495) and was very easy to install.

Reactions: jumeirah

·
Registered
279 Posts
Cp-e does have a lightweight version. As for being overseas I can see why Mountune is cheaper. They are made in the UK where cp-e is made in the US.

Sent from another garage.[/QUOTE]

Yes mate I heared good things about the CPE light weight option. Hear it's similar to steeda. True CPE, Cobb, steeda are very expensive for us overseas customers. Mountune products are more affordable and they have been supporting the ST platform before 2005 since MK2 and their quality is amazing. The Mountune FMIC cost me around USD $620. During christmas sale they even cost cheaper. CPE or Cobb units would cost USD$1000. Makes no sense such high cost for us overseas.
Here a pic of mountune next to OE unit. Straight fit, lightweight, retains factory engineered hose ducting. I like the scoops too on the IC.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Gotta say go with depo racing like some of the other guys. The thing works just like the other if not better.
Just noticed. Your N. America ST crash bar is slight different from our German built car. Check both our pics.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts