Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I live in Australia and I'm about to buy a FMIC for my 2014 ST. I'm leaning towards the Mishimoto J-line (with ATP elbow for sensor mount) as I can get it here in Australia so will save some money on postage. I read that there were some issues with our MAP sensor and the COBB IC. Will I have the same issues with any IC I buy or is it only the COBB product?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think i have found my answer. I believe its the bung that the map sensor connects to. As we have a different sensor it doesn't match up properly. The Mishimoto doesn't have a bung on it so instead of using the atp elbow i could just drill and tap the end tank, correct?

·
Registered
116 Posts
It will most likely be the case with every FMIC from US on a non US car, the sensor is different from theirs. But it´s not a big thing to make it fit in most cases I think. First, in Europe (and then maybe in Australia too) we have metric screws. So it´s necessary to make an adapter or just cut a new thread into the other one, not best solution but worked fine for me. Then you can make a "sensor holder", all you need is a screw, some matching nuts, a small alloy or steel plate, a drill machine and some tinker skills. If interested I can send you a picture of what I did. Or you take the easier route: there´s a vendor here who sells/sold these adapters but sorry, I forgot who it is. There´s only one thing you have to think about: the different mounting location of the sensor on some FMICs. I had no problem with room with the Steeda FMIC but I actually have something in mind that there were some with COBB´s. I´ve no idea what the ATP elbow looks like, but if mounted in the elbow maybe the cable could be too short.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Sensor location should be predicated on wire length... But also serviceability.

IMO, an elbow or straight section of pipe with the proper bung/flange is preferred for a mounting location, and not the IC itself.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Note the Mountune FMIC comes with an adapter to rotate the MAP sensor to match the sensor orientation for US cars.

Since the FMIC MAP sensor must be oriented depending upon which side of the road the car is driven on, perhaps you'd be fine with the Mountune FMIC as is?

Hope that helps!

All the best,
Mark

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a '14 EDM ST with a Cobb intercooler. Cobb has revised it's intercoolers so it works with the EDM cars. I had no issues whatsoever installing it and this was more than a year ago. The information regarding Cobb intercooler incompatibility with the EDM map sensor is outdated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts