Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Focus St and recently installed Stratified's 93 tune and love it.

Car is stock outside of boomba BOV, Cobb RMM.

Really want to get Stratified's e85 blend tune but was worried about not having cool enough charge air temperature.

I plan on installing colder plugs in the next week but is it necessary to get an upgraded FMIC? Was looking at the levels brand.

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
I have a 2013 Focus St and recently installed Stratified's 93 tune and love it.

Car is stock outside of boomba BOV, Cobb RMM.

Really want to get Stratified's e85 blend tune but was worried about not having cool enough charge air temperature.

I plan on installing colder plugs in the next week but is it necessary to get an upgraded FMIC? Was looking at the levels brand.

Thanks for any advice.

Technically it's not "needed" but anyone here will tell you it's recommended for sure. It just keeps the power you have consistent.

Reactions: Mbiro594

·
Registered
100 Posts
Other than a tune, the part that made the biggest difference for me was definitely a FMIC. It's a completely different beast because you don't lose 30-40 horsepower due to heat-soak after your first pull anymore. If you got the budget I highly recommend you pick one up.

Reactions: Mbiro594

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd contact Stratified and check with them. I stated I had a upgraded FMIC when I filled out their online form, but I actually didn't have it installed in the car yet. I asked the engineer who sent me my pump gas and E30 tune files if I could run the tunes with the stock intercooler and he said this, "The car will most likely get too hot on the stock intercooler with that tune so I would highly recommend waiting until it’s installed".

·
Registered
408 Posts
Recommended but not needed. I currently run the e30 tune on stock fmic. Power is night and day, but if you are in traffic those Temps will rise above 100 and you will suffer from heat soak . I'll be picking up a fmic in the next few weeks and finally get the full tune

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
979 Posts
I'd contact Stratified and check with them. I stated I had a upgraded FMIC when I filled out their online form, but I actually didn't have it installed in the car yet. I asked the engineer who sent me my pump gas and E30 tune files if I could run the tunes with the stock intercooler and he said this, "The car will most likely get too hot on the stock intercooler with that tune so I would highly recommend waiting until it’s installed".
I'd listen to that advice, get that FMIC on there before you flash or push the throttle.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I'm fine with the 93 tune on a stock FMIC but upgrade it before an e85 tune?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Ok so I'm fine with the 93 tune on a stock FMIC but upgrade it before an e85 tune?

You would be fine most likely but the benefits of ethanol is the added horsepower heat soak kills power so why not do it before you try adding more than you had before.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Makes sense, I'll hold off on it for now and just do both all at once. Either that or just keep e85 tune for winter months when it's 30 degrees out and 93 tune for summer

·
Registered
862 Posts
Makes sense, I'll hold off on it for now and just do both all at once. Either that or just keep e85 tune for winter months when it's 30 degrees out and 93 tune for summer

This is something completely different but you need to look into it if that is a road you are going to travel. During winter in most states where it gets cold enough to freeze the grade of ethanol is much lower than it would be in the summer months and that is something that would also have to be compensated for.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You can definitely run an E30 tune with the stock intercooler, but with the same result as running a 93 tune, heat soak after a pull or two. E30 isn't going to make that any worse since it can't really get much worse. Stratified told that guy before not to use the tune file because he ordered a tune that was designed for someone with an upgraded IC when he didn't have it installed.

You SHOULD get an upgraded IC for ANY tune over the factory tune because more boost means more heat, and aside from losing power, you could be doing long term damage if you are frequently running hot.

Trust me, I understand, I bought this car to be a DD. I didn't want to start doing too many things to it, but I did throw a tune on. We've had typical NC winters here where it was around the freezing mark one day, and now it's 70 again. There's a huge difference when it's warm since I still have the stock intercooler. It's going to be pushed to the front of my list now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm actually in Mooresville, NC and yeah we had 30 degree weather Saturday night and it was 75 today lol wth. And can you not run e30 when it's freezing and below? New to all this so sorry for any obvious things I should know

·
Registered
134 Posts
Shouldn't be much of a concern I would think. We're only running E30, not E85, and it doesn't usually get cold enough in NC.

But I would like to test my local stations to get a better idea of what they have to figure out my mix ratio. The Sheetz stations advertise it as a range that I can't remember now, like E50-85, so they aren't guaranteeing full E85. Not hard to test for yourself though. Check it out on Google.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the advice and replies, got a lot more feedback then I expected. I'm thinking about a levels FMIC, not asking which is best bc I know that's been beaten to death but what one do you guys have or are going to get?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Personally, I think I'm getting the cp-e lightweight because i trust it to be extremely high quality (lifetime warranty), I don't plan on going big turbo and needing anything bigger, and it mounts without drilling or modification. Seems like there are plenty of choices out there that are great choices depending on future needs and cost though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts