Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of going full COBB stage 3, and plan to have it panda tuned. I am currently stage 1 1/2, I have the RMM, short throw shift plate, CAI and the AP of course. My question is, do I need the FMIC if I don?t plan on track running my car. Ever. And for the exhaust, turbo back or cat back? I wanna make stage 3 power and torque, just curious if I NEED the FMIC. As it?s purpose is keep heat soak in check. And a friend of mine, whose a diesel mechanic, told me if I?m not going to track run my car, don?t bother with the FMIC or turbo back exhaust, just go cat back. Is he correct?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I can see why he would give you that advice coming from a diesel mechanic...they are used to making almost all there power with tons and tons of boost thus there intercooler systems are very well made and robust. The ST on the other hand is only capable of keeping the charge cool enough to not overheat in hot conditions when not beating on the car and when its of normal temp outside for a few good pulls before your saturated. ALL stage 3 tunes out there require FMIC, a aftermarket Down pipe (look up the pictures of the stock one, and see how bad its restricted at the turbo outlet) In order to make stage 3 power you need to be able to move that air a lot faster though your engine, and keep it cool. You can do a stage 3 without the downpipe, but you wont get numbers like you see on most stage 3 tuned ST's. Other cars come with better FMIC's but the ST def is very poorly equipped in that department, the cat back exhaust isn't to restrictive, but the DP is like a friggin crimped L bracket...its pretty terrible.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well alright then. Full stage 3 it is. Guess I?ll get the FMIC next. That way I can at least use the Cobb stage 2 map and it be accurate to what I actually have

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am in the process of going full COBB stage 3, and plan to have it panda tuned. I am currently stage 1 1/2, I have the RMM, short throw shift plate, CAI and the AP of course. My question is, do I need the FMIC if I don?t plan on track running my car. Ever. And for the exhaust, turbo back or cat back? I wanna make stage 3 power and torque, just curious if I NEED the FMIC. As it?s purpose is keep heat soak in check. And a friend of mine, whose a diesel mechanic, told me if I?m not going to track run my car, don?t bother with the FMIC or turbo back exhaust, just go cat back. Is he correct?
You need it. The aggressive nature of the tune will mean charge temps will rise dramatically on a pull, yes even one pull. I ran a stage 2 tune with stock FMIC and logged it, the inlet charge temps went up by 73 degrees over one third gear pull.

So if you don't ever do a pull or drive it hard at all then no but that is not why someone would flash a tune with more power. Of course you could just not upgrade and listen to your diesel mechanic friend who has no idea about our platform, we will be sure to keep an eye out for you in the blown motor thread. This is not a dig at you it's just that there are threads like these all the time asking can I run stage X tune without the required hardware. There is a reason they list the hardware. It's not because racecar, it's because they push the system and at each stage have found the weak point so replace it with a stronger/better performing product to keep the engine safe.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright. Now I?m convinced I need the FMIC lol. I?m gonna get the Cobb one probably. I can get it through affirm with 0% interest so, why not n

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Alright. Now I?m convinced I need the FMIC lol. I?m gonna get the Cobb one probably. I can get it through affirm with 0% interest so, why not n
To answer your "so why not" part of that...the Cobb is severely overpriced and isn't as big as some other intercoolers available. That's why not lol. Unless you're a Cobb fan you're paying for the name.

My recommendation is usually always: CPE/Steeda/Depo Racing. All three are basically identical minus extremely small differences. They are however the same size. They make a 3.5" one that works perfectly and is what I have (CPE lightweight) and also a 5.5" thick one that is just an absolute beast. Adds a good bit of weight but will never ever have any heatsoak. The biggest CPE Delta 5.5" is 664 dollars on Edge Autosport and the Cobb is 1095 dollars with charge pipes that you don't need unless you are going big turbo..and it's .25" less high and 2 inches shorter in width.

Depo is by far the cheapest option, and is almost always awesome quality as well, but it's hardly in stock because he sells out almost immediately. And he's much smaller of a name than CPE

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yup depo sells out almost as soon as he gets his units in stock but if you can snag one it's a hell of a deal. $350 for the 3.5" son of the beast is hard to beat.
Depo website says that he just got a new shipment in stock and will be posting to his website on 10/4.. Now is the time. I got tired of waiting on it and ordered the JST IC kit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, since I?m between stages right now, not full stage 2 but not 1 either, do I need a retune? Or can I run my cobb stag 2, or should I go back to my panda stage 1 tune?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh and btw I mentioned my friend the diesel mechanic because he is full stage 3, did it all himself, and his car runs flawlessly. And he has put in all my goodies too because I?m mechanically retarded. He has a general understanding of how cars and trucks work

·
Registered
344 Posts
Also, since I?m between stages right now, not full stage 2 but not 1 either, do I need a retune? Or can I run my cobb stag 2, or should I go back to my panda stage 1 tune?
Run stage 1 as you can't be between stage 1 and 2, it's either you have a FMIC (stage 2) or you don't (stage 1). As mentioned before the stages are designed to push harder based on certain hardware. If you don't have said hardware then you will be causing undue stress on your engine. Your RMM and shift plate won't do **** to cool your charge air temperatures so running a stage 2 is not the wisest idea. Of course you can do as you want but it's not advisable to run stage tunes on your car unless they have relevant hardware.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Panda is asking me for a data log. So I?m gonna do that and see if I need a retune just for the CAI

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yup depo sells out almost as soon as he gets his units in stock but if you can snag one it's a hell of a deal. $350 for the 3.5" son of the beast is hard to beat.
The shipment that is coming today has 100 3.5" units so good chance of snagging one.

I inquired about it a few days ago and received this from Tim at Depo,

For the focus ST I have 100pcs 3.5" - 40pcs, 5.5" beast -Focus RS 40 pcs - fiesta 50 pcs , Evo X 40 pcs and others so I will not be running out everyone will get one.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I know I have been checking every day for the last two weeks, so as soon as it goes live I will be ordering mine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You friend wants you to skip the fmic so he can walk all over you...... Running 3.5depo , it was the first thing I put on the car, and I wasnt tuned at that time

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you like your Depo fmic? I?m considering that or the cpe lightweight one. The price of the Depo one is what?s luring me to it over the cpe

1 - 20 of 27 Posts