Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My CPE FMIC is coming in the mail today and I have a few questions since winter is just around the corner here Canada.
Is it okay to delete your AGS (active grill shutters) and the lower grill shutters during winter weather? I was under the assumption that these were used to heat up your engine a little quicker during cold climate conditions.

Also, is there a such thing as cooling the air too much with an intercooler if it's already -30C outside?

I will be updating a custom tune I have once I have the new FMIC installed, but I'd like to run the stock tune during the winter. Is it okay to use the stock tune with a bunch of bolt on mods which include an air intake, exhaust, FMIC?

Thanks for taking the time to read!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hi All,

My CPE FMIC is coming in the mail today and I have a few questions since winter is just around the corner here Canada.
Is it okay to delete your AGS (active grill shutters) and the lower grill shutters during winter weather? I was under the assumption that these were used to heat up your engine a little quicker during cold climate conditions.

Also, is there a such thing as cooling the air too much with an intercooler if it's already -30C outside?

I will be updating a custom tune I have once I have the new FMIC installed, but I'd like to run the stock tune during the winter. Is it okay to use the stock tune with a bunch of bolt on mods which include an air intake, exhaust, FMIC?

Thanks for taking the time to read!
Can't really comment on the other stuff being from Texas not something I have to worry about. But you should be fine running stock tune with the bolt ons. Just don't expect it to be a beast or anything lol

·
Registered
292 Posts
You will be fine. I have a CPE lightweight, green filter, colder plugs, mountune exhaust and you will be fine in the winter. I take off the tune as soon as the winter tires go on. I have had no issue with heating up on a cold morning.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I run the Steeda street/strip FMIC (same as cp-e Lightweight) on my 2013 daily. On the 2013 it is not possible to retain the grill shutters with an FMIC (I did cut the AGS frame bottom off to retain the top half and the radiator shroud, and I use the bottom radiator rubber shroud as Mishimoto recommends with their FMIC).

No problems with warmups in winter here in Maine for me.

Hope that helps,
Mark

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
I don't know of any aftermarket ICs' that allow you to keep the AGS.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The shutters are mainly there to reduce drag by keeping air out of the engine bay when it isn't needed, like light load on the highway.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nevermind the shutters, take the bumper off and remove the whole damn thing. Where I live its coldish year round and removing the shroud did not hamper my warm up time one bit, seconds maybe but nothing to worry about at all. Its there to reduce drag more than anything.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Can anyone comment on this one? It doesnt seem to be too popular due to it being one of the smallest but also in the higher price range. Im curious how it compares to others.
CJPP did some dyno runs with it in the bonus video on that link, but haven't ever seen any feedback on it out in the wild.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd run a front cover at those temperatures.. You really need nearly 0 outside airflow at - 30c.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts