Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on ordering a Depo fmic very soon and since pretty much all fmic's are great compared to stock, I want to go the most aesthetic route I can. Question is: Is the 'Beast' the best option for cramming the fmic closest to the bumper as possible? I don't want the "I can barely tell there's a intercooler there", I want the "Damn, that intercooler is stuffed in there, all up in my face, I can poke it if I want!" look. Assuming the "Beast" sticks farther toward the bumber to accomodate the full 5+ inches. Maybe the 3.5" with longer couplings on stock pipes instead? Fabricating brackets and shaving isn't an issue, got machine shops and tools for days. Just need help from the fellow aesthetic fmic junkies here for easiest route to seeing that fmic from the drivers seat........in a reflection of course.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Planning on ordering a Depo fmic very soon and since pretty much all fmic's are great compared to stock, I want to go the most aesthetic route I can. Question is: Is the 'Beast' the best option for cramming the fmic closest to the bumper as possible? I don't want the "I can barely tell there's a intercooler there", I want the "Damn, that intercooler is stuffed in there, all up in my face, I can poke it if I want!" look. Assuming the "Beast" sticks farther toward the bumber to accomodate the full 5+ inches. Maybe the 3.5" with longer couplings on stock pipes instead? Fabricating brackets and shaving isn't an issue, got machine shops and tools for days. Just need help from the fellow aesthetic fmic junkies here for easiest route to seeing that fmic from the drivers seat........in a reflection of course.
I think they all "show" a similar amount regardless of size because either way it'll be just a mere 2-2.5 inches at the most different in positioning. My 3.5" CP-E was only purchased because the 3.5" Depo was sold out and it is extremely noticeable from the front of the car with the center grille insert removed. The 5.5 shouldn't be any more noticeable because you can't see the depth of the intercooler through the slot in the grille, just the front of it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There is a noticeable space between the front of the IC and the bumper cover with the SOB. The IC can be moved forward an inch or two with some DIY couplings to get rid of the space if you are concerned with the aesthetics. That's what I'm planning on doing. I wouldn't buy the Beast simply for aesthetics...

Edit... if you are really concerned with aesthetics, I'd trade in for a 15 or 16... JK :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
15876843_1806943552878698_7343358482235523072_n(1).jpg 15876895_241122772979473_970557266233131008_n.jpg
Depo 5.5" Beast. It sits almost flush with the bumper. When painted gold it screams "HEY LOOK AT ME"

·
Registered
44 Posts
The beast is very visible from the front. If you are up for it, sanding the grill makes it even more noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I definitely regret not sanding my grille like planned...ugh

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The beast is very visible from the front. If you are up for it, sanding the grill makes it even more noticeable.

Please tell me of this "sanding the grill" you speak of....very interested, mucho fmic mucho!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Please tell me of this "sanding the grill" you speak of....very interested, mucho fmic mucho!
See how you can see through his bumper? And how you can see his crash bar? There isn't a big rectangle section of honeycomb that isn't hollow like there normally is...because he sanded it off. On the backside of the grille there is only a thin layer of plastic that makes this large rectangle section you can simple sand/grind to remove and make the entire grille hollow.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See how you can see through his bumper? And how you can see his crash bar? There isn't a big rectangle section of honeycomb that isn't hollow like there normally is...because he sanded it off. On the backside of the grille there is only a thin layer of plastic that makes this large rectangle section you can simple sand/grind to remove and make the entire grille hollow.
Brilliant, it will be done, and it will be as glorious at that photo above. So the beast actually fills the inch or two gap between bumper and front of fmic seen with the 3.5? What's another 100 or so bucks to go big if It looks that good.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Brilliant, it will be done, and it will be as glorious at that photo above. So the beast actually fills the inch or two gap between bumper and front of fmic seen with the 3.5? What's another 100 or so bucks to go big if It looks that good.
Well theoretically you are still getting an awesome deal and you're getting crazy good performance which means more to me personally...but if you want aesthetics consider it an awesome "bonus" to what you want :)

·
Registered
44 Posts

It's a slow process (plan on 4 hrs or so) but well worth it in the end. I used and orbital sander and it turned out better than I expected.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great pics, looks pretty straightforward and worth the time. Any tricks to taking out the horizontal bars in the lower grill? Trying to decide on leaving the vertical bars like yours or dremmeling everything out
and using touch up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great pics, looks pretty straightforward and worth the time. Any tricks to taking out the horizontal bars in the lower grill? Trying to decide on leaving the vertical bars like yours or dremmeling everything out
and using touch up.
The horizontal bars should just pop off. I think I found a YouTube video that showed how to get them off. Pretty simple process once you know where the tabs are.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i have the normal 3.5 depo and it looks perfect in there, when the big turbo shows up and my car goes from stage 3 to oh damm that thing is stupid fast, I'll be changing to one of mishmotos, but you'll be fine with the small or big one, I don't think anyone is going to walk up and be like dang that a big intercooler because it pushed up to the bumper, I would just assume its mounted far forward.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts