Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a reasonably priced flywheel locking tool. I'll be removing the engine/transmission as one assembly, so I can't use the prybar jammed against a flywheel tool/garage floor trick. I've tried searching online, but so far am only seeing tools that seem to be generic and much more expensive/complex than I would think I would need for such a simple task.

Can someone either point me to a flywheel locking tool online, or is there an easy way to lock the flywheel just while I'm torqueing down the flywheel bolts?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure if this applies to the 2.0 but maybe someone else can shed some light. Or maybe a dealership can confirm comparability:
Thanks for the link. I saw that one, but was a little worried as to if the mounting holes on the tool would line up with the transmission mount holes, and was also worried as to if the looking tooth on the tool would have enough plunge to contact a tooth on the flywheel. Sucks because the price is right and this would probably work, but I don't want to be the guinea pig and confirm it doesn't fit once I have the engine out and am stuck.

303-103 or just put a cheater bar and socket on the crank pulley bolt. Getting them off can be done with a impact.
As usual, you're a wealth of knowledge @SIstomper! I figured it'd be easy to get the bolts out using an impact even without a flywheel lock, but wasn't sure if I could safely lock the crank with a breaker bar/socket on the crank to reinstall the new flywheel bolts. Do you think that'd work for the install of the new bolts? If not I'm tempted to try to figure out how to just bind up the FEAD to provide enough resistance that I can tighten the flywheel bolts on the other end.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Thanks for the link. I saw that one, but was a little worried as to if the mounting holes on the tool would line up with the transmission mount holes, and was also worried as to if the looking tooth on the tool would have enough plunge to contact a tooth on the flywheel. Sucks because the price is right and this would probably work, but I don't want to be the guinea pig and confirm it doesn't fit once I have the engine out and am stuck.

As usual, you're a wealth of knowledge @SIstomper! I figured it'd be easy to get the bolts out using an impact even without a flywheel lock, but wasn't sure if I could safely lock the crank with a breaker bar/socket on the crank to reinstall the new flywheel bolts. Do you think that'd work for the install of the new bolts? If not I'm tempted to try to figure out how to just bind up the FEAD to provide enough resistance that I can tighten the flywheel bolts on the other end.
Yes it will be fine, done it a few times. Remember the flywheel bolt is tq'ed to about 120 lbft and the flywheel bolts are 83, plus your going in the tightening diretion on both so it wont come loose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts