Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "fluttering" sound coming from the upper rear corner of my driver's door. The door is actually vibrating in the opening and I believe the noise is the door rubbing on the gasket. It *may* be air noise if the door is actually moving off the gasket a little. If I put my fingertips against the gasket between the door and the frame of the car, I can feel the door moving slightly in sync with the bumps, etc. in the road. Basically, anytime I hit a bump or rough pavement, I hear the noise, especially when it is colder. Given the roads I travel and the stiff nature of the ride, the noise is almost constant (and maddening). There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the gasket (compressed, torn, etc.) I tried waxing the door frame on the body to see if making it a bit slicker would help, but it didn't. If I press my fingers hard into the gap between the door and the frame in the upper rear corner, I can make the noise stop.

Anyone have any similar experiences or any suggestions on this? Can the door striker be adjusted to tighten up the door?

All my search results came up with rattles and buzzes, which this doesn't fit. It's actually the entire door moving slightly within the door opening.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
The door itself isn't loose right? Being a 2016 if it's seriously persistent and annoying take it into the dealership to see if they can resolve it under warranty for defect.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
The door panel is simple to uninstall and there are a few vids on how to do it. I encourage you to get in there and find out. :big smile:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should clarify that the noise is near the upper rear corner of the glass, and not the door panel. It's basically right behind/beside my head - another reason it's so annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I should clarify that the noise is near the upper rear corner of the glass, and not the door panel. It's basically right behind/beside my head - another reason it's so annoying.

Still banking on taking it to the dealer and at LEAST getting their opinion. It's a basically brand new car still so they will help

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The door itself isn't loose right? Being a 2016 if it's seriously persistent and annoying take it into the dealership to see if they can resolve it under warranty for defect.
The door is solid. If I apply any up/down pressure on it, I can move the car. No slop that I can detect.

I'm going to have to break down and carry it in for the hatch recall, and if I can't figure it out by then, I'll let them look at it. I just prefer to minimize the time at the dealership. I have trust issues...

·
Registered
70 Posts
too bad you aren't in florida I would have you bring it to the dealership I work at so you could build a little more trust. not all dealers are bad

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Could the noise be coming from the seat-belt adjuster?
If not 'locked' in place, it could cause a vibration.
Good luck tracking it down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have this same intermittent issue with my '16 ST3. I noticed it for the first time day before yesterday very early in the morning on a 6 hour drive from Phoenix to Los angeles. It was the coldest it has been since I've had the car. I would describe the sound as a metallic tinkeling right next to my left ear. Maddening! After it got warmer outside a couple hours into the drive, the sound went away.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have this same intermittent issue with my '16 ST3. I noticed it for the first time day before yesterday very early in the morning on a 6 hour drive from Phoenix to Los angeles. It was the coldest it has been since I've had the car. I would describe the sound as a metallic tinkeling right next to my left ear. Maddening! After it got warmer outside a couple hours into the drive, the sound went away.
To see if it's the same thing, try feeling between the body and door up in that corner. See if the door is obviously vibrating. I've found that if I press my fingers into that corner, I can make the noise stop. Also, pulling really hard on the door handle will minimize the noise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts