Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i have a focus st and there is a ton of fluid leaking from the charge pipe off my engine to my intercooler. I looked under the car and noticed that there is a big hole in the pipe, but there isn’t supposed to be fluids is the pipes anyways? have any ideas of what it could be?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Fluid? You mean oil? Which charge pipe is it? one of them with oil in it tends to show signs of compression/blow by issues, oil in the other one tends to mean turbo seals i believe...could be wrong tho...i mean depending on what it is coupd be other reasons...but for all intents and purposes there should be no fluid at all in there.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
@justastockst
Short story: Some fluid (motor oil) isn’t uncommon and should be expected. If there is a lot of fluid, you may have a problem.

I’d start with a compression test if you believe there is “a lot” of fluid - however you define “a lot”.

More of the story: The expected oil in the charge pipes is from blowby in direct injection engines.

People will Install oil catch cans (OCC) to “catch” the oil blowby as it circulated through the system.

The blowby oil will be mixed with fuel and will have a slightly different smell & consistency than straight motor oil out of the bottle.

If the fluid is anything other than a motor oil/fuel combination (eg. coolant), it’s a sign of a problem...hence beginning to diagnose it with a compression & leak down test.

• How much fluid did you get out of the charge pipes?
  • How many miles on your car?
  • What year?
  • What mods have you made to the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fluid? You mean oil? Which charge pipe is it? one of them with oil in it tends to show signs of compression/blow by issues, oil in the other one tends to mean turbo seals i believe...could be wrong tho...i mean depending on what it is coupd be other reasons...but for all intents and purposes there should be no fluid at all in there.
I believe that it is the Cold Side pipe, and i have a brand new turbo for it, so i’m hoping that it is the turbo seals. Is there any way it could be something with the motor?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@justastockst
Short story: Some fluid (motor oil) isn’t uncommon and should be expected. If there is a lot of fluid, you may have a problem.

I’d start with a compression test if you believe there is “a lot” of fluid - however you define “a lot”.

More of the story: The expected oil in the charge pipes is from blowby in direct injection engines.

People will Install oil catch cans (OCC) to “catch” the oil blowby as it circulated through the system.

The blowby oil will be mixed with fuel and will have a slightly different smell & consistency than straight motor oil out of the bottle.

If the fluid is anything other than a motor oil/fuel combination (eg. coolant), it’s a sign of a problem...hence beginning to diagnose it with a compression & leak down test.

• How much fluid did you get out of the charge pipes?
  • How many miles on your car?
  • What year?
  • What mods have you made to the car?
I am not sure exactly what the fluid is, but there was a lot of it, my car is a 2018 and there is only 6,300 miles on it and it is all stock. it’s the cold side charge pipe i believe, and i’m hoping it’s the turbo because i have a brand new one. Is there any way t could be a problem with the motor?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Sorry bud yea like @MtnMan said comp test first will tell alot. If they are at least Id like to see at least 155 across all 4 or better and no more then like 10% difference between any. I have an 18 i bought with 62 miles on it and have 72k on it now been tuned almost the entire time but maybe 2000 miles. I have no catch can, now I did add a radium pcv plate and their pcv valve at about 20k and i walnutted the valves at 22k, 45k, 65k. Ive done spark plugs every 10k to 15k n oil changes of amsoil sign. Blend every 3k or less usually 2750. Now so im anal ok. But with that said, i dont have a catch can and im basically stage 3 plus mountune injectors and my charge pipes are literally all but dry allowing for maybe like a sticky dry like its may have accumlated like oil if i would run a paper towel thru it but if you have like content in there, thats no bueno. Hopefully it is ur turbo. If your comp is good, and say your turbo isnt bad, look at your pcv valve, factory they are known to leak Or stick. And also has this thing ever been apart and is the turbo stock atm? Was gonna say turbo seals can leak also if the turbo drain isnt draining correctly, which a pcv valve sticking or leaking can also cause excessive pressure and keep oil from draining into the oil pan and pushing oil out the seals and into the charge pipes or intake

1 - 8 of 8 Posts