Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TL;DR Its the wheel bearing.

So here is the noise. To me it sounds like metal on metal popping or clicking. At first I thought it was the cv axle but after changing out 3 I was like no way I got 3 bad axles. So I put the original back in and drove like that for a while.

The only other thing at that point I could think of was the wheel bearing, which is odd because I've never heard a wheel bearing make this sound.

I changed it out today and its gone!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,253 Posts
I've only heard axle nuts that lost torque/were too loose make this noise. But obviously between the 3 aftermarket axles and reinstalling the OEM axle, you'd have had the proper torque on the nut at least one time.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've only heard axle nuts that lost torque/were too loose make this noise. But obviously between the 3 aftermarket axles and reinstalling the OEM axle, you'd have had the proper torque on the nut at least one time.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing!
That nut takes a lot of torque and I'm sure I had it right. 80 nm then 90 degrees. I had to use a very large cheater bar to get that 90.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,253 Posts
That nut takes a lot of torque and I'm sure I had it right. 80 nm then 90 degrees. I had to use a very large cheater bar to get that 90.
Right. To clarify,I wasn't doubting you, just saying that's the only circumstance I've run into this before,myself. Always broadening that horizon, though!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts