Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first time 2016 Ford Focus ST owner and am looking at getting the stage 1 package from Cobb. Is this a good place to start? Or should I go with Ford Mountune stage 1 in order to get there warranty? I'm leaning towards the Cobb stage 1 package. Any advice is greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd buy the Accessport from stratified so you get a better, safer tune for the same amount of money and then buy the motor mount of your choosing. Only reason to go with the mountune package is to keep somewhat of a warranty ( remember it has to be installed by a Ford dealer and changes your warranty to a ford performance 3 year instead of the factory five).

·
Registered
134 Posts
As said, Mountune if you're worried about warranty, but it has to be installed by a certified tech too. No one can tell you if warranty is important to you or not. It was to me but I can give up engine warranty if it comes down to it because I'd rather rebuild stronger than replace with the same if that situation arises anyway.

But definitely don't buy from Cobb at all. Their stage 1 package is not the best, I'm sorry to say. Get the AP from a tuner like Stratified and you get a Stratified tune on top of the Cobb tunes that are always preloaded on the AP and free online as revisions are made. A green filter is every so slightly cheaper on Amazon and basically the same thing. And, from everything I read, the Cobb RMM is one of the worst of the bunch. Personally I don't have an RMM yet still because my stock all season tires don't stick well enough to need one. :D I'll go cp-e when I do get one though.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
first upgrade should be an lsd. whats the point of adding power if it isn't put to the ground. And if lsd is to expensive then you probably shouldn't be modifying your car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for all your advise. I almost purchased the Cobb package today but decided to come on this forum first. I'm glad I did. I will definitely look into stratified ap. I will have to decide if I want the warranty or not. I'm thinking I would want a stronger build later on. Thanks again......Btw forgive my ignorance but what is Isd?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks everyone for all your advise. I almost purchased the Cobb package today but decided to come on this forum first. I'm glad I did. I will definitely look into stratified ap. I will have to decide if I want the warranty or not. I'm thinking I would want a stronger build later on. Thanks again......Btw forgive my ignorance but what is Isd?
Limited slip differential, its only really needed when you go big turbo, and even then there's a lot of guys running BT without them. I've never heard anyone recommend a LSD as first mod lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Limited slip differential, its only really needed when you go big turbo, and even then there's a lot of guys running BT without them. I've never heard anyone recommend a LSD as first mod lol.
I think you're really misleading people saying only bt cars need an lsd, every single st that's been produced needs an lsd.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think you're really misleading people saying only bt cars need an lsd, every single st that's been produced needs an lsd.
It doesn't need it. it would improve traction greatly but its not a necessity. There's definitely a reason its not a common upgrade. The cost and difficulty of install if you don't have the mechanical knowledge, tools or time to drop the transmission is going to cost you a decent amount along with the cost of the unit. I do agree with you that the car should have 100% came with it from the factory.

·
Administrator
11,870 Posts
It doesn't need it. it would improve traction greatly but its not a necessity. There's definitely a reason its not a common upgrade. The cost and difficulty of install if you don't have the mechanical knowledge, tools or time to drop the transmission is going to cost you a decent amount along with the cost of the unit. I do agree with you that the car should have 100% came with it from the factory.

I have a Mfactory LSD currently, and I do count it as an important mod, but there's no way I would suggest it first.

Modding is something I do to change the way my car drives, and the LSD won't give much of a "Wow" factor right out of the gate. There's much more noticeable places to spend that money, and not to mention time.

I agree with what has become the standard upgrade path for our cars. Some people argue FMIC before anything, but It's more satisfying to see how bad your charge temps are via the AccessPort, then actually see how well your new FMIC performs. Not to mention how much the car wakes up with the AP3. Also the least labor intensive of all the mods, lol. Plug it in, press the button a couple of times, wait, then performance increase.

1. Access Port from a reputable tuner including their OTS map
2. Air filter
3. FMIC
4. Exhaust
5. Downpipe

Everything else is just personal taste and preference. Shifter mods, suspension, intakes, wheels, tires, Huge turbos, lol.

As stated above, piecing a package together yourself tends to be both cheaper and more effective.

OP, will you be installing all thee parts yourself?

Don't mod yourself into a corner, think of your goals, and do some part research. Nobody likes swapping out parts constantly because they conflict further down the road.

Reactions: spirit

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
if it cost to much don't modify the car. pay it off first before you go throwing money away

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
LSD as first mod... that is a first... First that I have ever heard someone suggest that as a first mod. I see the justification but I don't really agree with it.

I don't think that "because you can't afford a LSD you shouldn't own this car" or "shouldn't mod the car" is really a good backing for your argument either.

I would agree that before you go BT that you should go LSD and at least get your stage 3 power down correctly before going BT.

if you dont care about warranty:
1) tune <---tuned
2) filter <--stage1
3) FMIC < stage 2
4) downpipe <---stage 3
5) cat-back <---sounds
6)LSD? <----traction
7+ parts for show ;)

if you care about warranty:
1) air filter (only because paper filters are waste and AEM filter is reuseable after a spray of a hose)
2) cat-back
3) enjoy the car
4+ parts for show

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
LSD as first mod... that is a first... First that I have ever heard someone suggest that as a first mod. I see the justification but I don't really agree with it.

I don't think that "because you can't afford a LSD you shouldn't own this car" or "shouldn't mod the car" is really a good backing for your argument either.

I would agree that before you go BT that you should go LSD and at least get your stage 3 power down correctly before going BT.

if you dont care about warranty:
1) tune <---tuned
2) filter <--stage1
3) FMIC < stage 2
4) downpipe <---stage 3
5) cat-back <---sounds
6)LSD? <----traction
7+ parts for show ;)

if you care about warranty:
1) air filter (only because paper filters are waste and AEM filter is reuseable after a spray of a hose)
2) cat-back
3) enjoy the car
4+ parts for show
Im sure your car is fast lol

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Im sure your car is fast lol
internet tuff guy everyone watch out

my car is completely stock aside from cat back and air filter (AEM)

But I use my car more than those that are stage 3+ I was stage 3, honestly was a waste, I would rather enjoy my car and drive it than have to worry about parts or tune failing me.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
internet tuff guy everyone watch out

my car is completely stock aside from cat back and air filter (AEM)

But I use my car more than those that are stage 3+ I was stage 3, honestly was a waste, I would rather enjoy my car and drive it than have to worry about parts or tune failing me.
This is actually a very true statement

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
My future plans are built motor (maybe 2.3) and a slightly bigger turbo. something in the 325-350wHP range, just enough to get me around the auto cross course a little faster.

Traction mods will help more, suspension parts. maybe even a LSD ;) i will have a LSD before a 2.3/BT

Tell then I really don't see engine performance as a short fall for what I do with the car. back roads and autocross, I have done track days twice but until my car isn't my DD that will not happen again.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Hey OP. There are plenty of ways you can do this.

1. The stock FMIC is garbage and as summer approaches the ST suffers from awful heat soak which robs your car of power. This is a very worthwhile first mod.
2. If warranty is not a major issue for you then I would suggest an accessport and my recommendation is one from Stratified (feel free to pick a different tuner if you would like. This will open your car up to being more fune and quicker.
3. The rest is up to you and how far you want to go! Exhaust, because the stock one is almost silent. Downpipe if you want to be more free flowing, louder, and get a bit more power. High flow air filter, RMM for better power plant and traction.

Honestly the list can go on and on, but go based on budget and what seems most important to YOU. I still stand by the FMIC and AP being the two best and most important mods though.

Reactions: JoshCrane1

·
Registered
162 Posts

I have a Mfactory LSD currently, and I do count it as an important mod, but there's no way I would suggest it first.

Modding is something I do to change the way my car drives, and the LSD won't give much of a "Wow" factor right out of the gate. There's much more noticeable places to spend that money, and not to mention time.

I agree with what has become the standard upgrade path for our cars. Some people argue FMIC before anything, but It's more satisfying to see how bad your charge temps are via the AccessPort, then actually see how well your new FMIC performs. Not to mention how much the car wakes up with the AP3. Also the least labor intensive of all the mods, lol. Plug it in, press the button a couple of times, wait, then performance increase.

1. Access Port from a reputable tuner including their OTS map
2. Air filter
3. FMIC
4. Exhaust
5. Downpipe

Everything else is just personal taste and preference. Shifter mods, suspension, intakes, wheels, tires, Huge turbos, lol.

As stated above, piecing a package together yourself tends to be both cheaper and more effective.

OP, will you be installing all thee parts yourself?

Don't mod yourself into a corner, think of your goals, and do some part research. Nobody likes swapping out parts constantly because they conflict further down the road.
Exactly what he said word for word.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
My future plans are built motor (maybe 2.3) and a slightly bigger turbo. something in the 325-350wHP range, just enough to get me around the auto cross course a little faster.

Traction mods will help more, suspension parts. maybe even a LSD ;) i will have a LSD before a 2.3/BT

Tell then I really don't see engine performance as a short fall for what I do with the car. back roads and autocross, I have done track days twice but until my car isn't my DD that will not happen again.
from someone who had a 2.3 built motor i advice against it. just stick with the 2.0

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'd do what's said above. LSD is important, but mostly down the road. I'm planning on doing an LSD when I go BT and when I replace the clutch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: EmanuelST84
1 - 19 of 19 Posts