Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Hello, new to the site. Just purchased a 2014 ST2 a couple days ago and trying to figure out plans. Car has 73k miles and no issues. Previous owners did a muffler delete and a blowoff valve, thats pretty much all I can find as of now. Main goal with this car is to make reliable power and keep it as a daily. Already have contacts to get tint done cause I hate driving in a fish bowl. Other than that, I have no idea where I should start, i.e. intercooler, short throw shifter, intake, exhaust, etc. If anybody has suggestions, let me know what you think!

· Super Moderator
13,013 Posts
View attachment 410795 View attachment 410796

Hello, new to the site. Just purchased a 2014 ST2 a couple days ago and trying to figure out plans. Car has 73k miles and no issues. Previous owners did a muffler delete and a blowoff valve, thats pretty much all I can find as of now. Main goal with this car is to make reliable power and keep it as a daily. Already have contacts to get tint done cause I hate driving in a fish bowl. Other than that, I have no idea where I should start, i.e. intercooler, short throw shifter, intake, exhaust, etc. If anybody has suggestions, let me know what you think!
Intercooler. The factory unit heat soaks instantly and the computer cuts boost/timing/power...

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats on the new ride! Usually the first order of business is a FMIC and a catch can is a good idea also.

Enjoy the forum, great bunch of guys with awesome info here.

EDIT: Also read up about LSPI here on the sight. It will cause catastrophic damage.
Big thanks for the heads up on the LSPI, haven't been pushing it hard in higher gears at all, always downshifting (way more fun).

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Intercooler. The factory unit heat soaks instantly and the computer cuts boost/timing/power...

Thanks for all the links, probably gonna go with the cvf one becuase the esp is out of stock :(, unless it restocks. If possible I'd like to do black with lime green accents.

· Registered
584 Posts
The stock intake is fine unless you want more noise or want to go BIG Turbo. Do make sure you have a high-flow air filter (Green Filter is popular here).

Fill with Top tier Premium.

Just an intercooler and a good tune can really wake up the car with "minimal" cost. Ask me how I know.

If you buy a Cobb AP tuner do not run their canned tunes.

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,354 Posts
Welcome! I'll just be an echo in the room, get yourself an intercooler asap! Stock intake is good for 350hp, just need a high flow closed-ended air filter like AEM, and make sure to leave the lid on.

Don't bother doing a downpipe with the stock turbo, gains are minimal.

Otherwise, there's a decade of amazing info here. Search around for questions you have, I'm sure you'll be overwhelmed with answers, and make sure to read the stickies!

· Registered
2014 Oxford White ST3
199 Posts
Thanks for all the links, probably gonna go with the cvf one becuase the esp is out of stock :(, unless it restocks. If possible I'd like to do black with lime green accents.
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forum! Too bad on the out of stock ESP unit. I went with the ESP unit and really like it. Great people there too! Definately go with an intercooler as your first mod, wished I'd had done that a long time ago.

· Registered
2017 OW ST1 unknown aftermarket FMIC & Exhaust, upgraded to Sync3 + full Recaro leather seat pkg.
157 Posts
Welcome! Thrills and Frills with this one but when the problem bug hits you'll usually find your answers here. I just got hit with a CEL on my low mileage ride and now I have to see what it is.:unsure:

· Registered
2013 Focus ST3 (Black)
220 Posts
Pre face lift and tuxedo black, that's my car! Welcome to the forums and to owning a FST 😎

Intercooler, first mod, don't do anything else without it. Literally, Intercooler before anything else. Like everyone else said✌

Almost at 80k, do you know if they changed spark plugs yet? I would recommend getting a brand new set of Ruthenium plugs before doing any tuning.

· Registered
318 Posts
View attachment 410795 View attachment 410796

I would start off with an accessporr and than get an exhaust because your going to wanta make some noise right out the gate(STRATIFIED POP TUNE)your going to love me for this trust me. That way all your neighbors have a general idea of what's going to happen next. FYI I feel bad for your neighbors. Than you'll need to make her even louder by purchasing an intake preferably the biggest one they sell which would be the CP-E Delta Core cold air intake. The intake box will be closed in with a clear plexy glass top 👌 bad ass you say? Yes , yes it is indeed. Than buy your intercooler.

· Registered
2013 Focus ST3 (Black)
220 Posts
Intercooler opens up power that the car has by default, but is sucked away because the heat soak effect is bonkers exactly when you don't want it. I thought my car had electrical problems when I first was pushing it because it felt like I was having a "DANGER TO MANIFOLD" slowdown happening everytime I pushed her.

Pops and bangs and even a tune can all wait. Top 2 would be intercooler and a tune, Accessport is generally considered to be the best all around tuner tool.

But to each their own ✌

· Registered
2014 Oxford White ST3
199 Posts
Hey Dave! Yeah, I've had it running for about a week now and the front bumper cover is on it such that I can drive it. Alan at Edge Autosport is tuning it. I have his base tune on it now along with his requested parameters for data logging. As I have a full tank of 87, don't want to begin the process until I empty the tank. Thought about pumping the fuel out but fear getting a hose stuck down in there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts