Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the ST octane academy earlier this year and got the itch to go racing again.

I saw a local group share a track night at a place about 45 minutes from where I live (I actually used to live less than 5 minutes away from the track but didn't have a focus at the time) and the price was fair or so I thought.
Harris Hill raceway in San Marcos TX

First, there was no tech inspection at all, only the honor system. Not sure if this was a good or bad thing.
My helmet wasn't up to their standards for some reason (met their requirements online when I checked before the event) so I was forced to rent one from a vendor they brought in.

We line up and go for a few paced laps because I signed up for the novice group, then a quick cool down and we went back out.

I could already feel my car heat soaking during the paced laps. ~9k mile stock car

This track was in serious disrepair. Extremely bumpy, so much so that I almost lost it when my suspension unloaded unexpectedly shortly before I needed to start turning. I saw 4 cars go off track in this area during the two runs I stayed for. One in the novice group, the rest in the intermediate or advanced group.

I went in early on the two novice runs because of how hot the brakes/tires/intercooler were getting. It just wasn't fun at that point.

I will not be returning to this track ever again because of how the track was, and some of the track staff were extremely rude.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well, it sucks that the track is in such bad shape. Is there another track nearby you could go to? Perhaps Auto-Cross could be worth looking into? To my mind, that's more likely to build more real-world usable skills anyways. I did really enjoy the track time at STOA as well, though.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Circuit of the Americas is closer but far more expensive. $500+ for COTA vs $150 for the ****ty track

I've been meaning to do an autocross event but I've always been busy during the weekends they are on.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I would definitely recommend AutoX also. You really start learning the limits of the cars abilities to make quick, technical maneuvers. It's a blast and super fun to challenge yourself to beat your previous times and other people of course. On the track, especially in Texas, with a stock car I see it being very frustrating honestly between heat soak and just overall rough conditions for the car to run hard. See if you can't hit a few autocross sessions and then try tracking it again somewhere maybe if you happen to get a bigger intercooler?

Reactions: LeojST

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be on the lookout for the next autocross near me. Usually they are at COTA in the parking lot. Heat is a big issue here. It was about 95 degrees when tracking my car wednesday. Actual racing season seems to be early fall, winter and spring instead of summer. No one will be setting records when its over 100 degrees ambient temp outside.

I plan on going from stock to "stage 3" immediately sometime in the future, but with only 9k miles on the car its hard to dive into that right now. Intercooler, catless downpipe, and tune is all it really needs. The rest are just supporting mods.

Thanks for the advice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts