Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I am fully bolted; keep in mind this was my first time drag racing period. So there is def more room for potential and progress.

I have a few clips below and slips. Looks like I need to ride out 1st gear a lot longer and do not shift as fast. Shifting into 2nd too quick deff bogged down the car and cut the time pretty severely. Almost as if i let the foot off the gas. Temperature was around 88-90 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Congratulations!

There is some discussion around what to do with 1st gear, where are you shifting currently?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congratulations!

There is some discussion around what to do with 1st gear, where are you shifting currently?
Thanks! From the solo run in the clip my 1st shift point was well below 4k. I want to say 2800-3000. Was just worried that the tires would break loose if I stayed in 1st longer. But I am going to do what you told me and to just stick in 1st longer and shift around 6k.

Deff need to keep that momentum going after the launch and stop hesitating into 2nd. I have one more clip to upload. Good news is I was able to pull off a .011 RT on one of my runs which I was very happy with. But at least I have a good benchmark to go off of. Thanks again!

·
Registered
530 Posts
You're trap speed looks pretty good. I'm subbing for more info, I need to work on my quick shifts. I haven't been on a strip yet, just red lights so far. I'm assuming there's a big thread with drag tips somewhere, but I haven't found it yet and I'm assuming someone will link it eventually

·
Registered
463 Posts
R/T means diddly if you aren't bracket racing.

Your 60' isn't bad for FWD at all. What tires are you on?

You DEFINITELY short shifted to second, from the chassis bounce, it looked like you shifted almost as soon as the car started rolling, pretty funny. Let it spin a little, feather the throttle a touch to keep spin in check, and shift when vehicle speed vs wheelspeed starts to match up at 5500-6000. There is some room for error here with the bottom end torque supplied by the stock turbo.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
R/T means diddly if you aren't bracket racing.

Your 60' isn't bad for FWD at all. What tires are you on?

You DEFINITELY short shifted to second, from the chassis bounce, it looked like you shifted almost as soon as the car started rolling, pretty funny. Let it spin a little, feather the throttle a touch to keep spin in check, and shift when vehicle speed vs wheelspeed starts to match up at 5500-6000. There is some room for error here with the bottom end torque supplied by the stock turbo.
Yea forsure. haha I am gonna try that this sunday and provide an update. Pretty confident now that I know what to expect. Just some little tweaks here and there that I need to work on too. Making sure to take my time and not rush to the stage haha. I did that a few times cause I was all amped up. Need to relax when im pre staging. But forsure a fun new experience

·
Registered
63 Posts
Low 13s for your first time out are really good. You should be in the 12s with that car pretty easily with practice.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trap speed looks really good!

What tires are you running on and what exact bolt ons?
I was running with the Mickey Thompson street R. Running a cpe-lightweight intercooler, 3 inch exhaust, intake, solid motor mount and also transmission and passenger mounts as well. Fully adjusted stock wastegate.

·
Registered
350 Posts
They had a "midnight mayhem" here in Vegas last week. They don't prep the track and being out at the end of city in the desert and the wind it was dusty, BuT none the less, no Fost broke out of the 14's. A 14.2 was the best, full bolt on and e30. A hybrid turbo FiST did 13.9. A FoRS did a 14.2 also lol. I've never taken mine was going to go but figured with all the wind and no prep wasn't really a reason to.

·
Registered
463 Posts
They had a "midnight mayhem" here in Vegas last week. They don't prep the track and being out at the end of city in the desert and the wind it was dusty, BuT none the less, no Fost broke out of the 14's. A 14.2 was the best, full bolt on and e30. A hybrid turbo FiST did 13.9. A FoRS did a 14.2 also lol. I've never taken mine was going to go but figured with all the wind and no prep wasn't really a reason to.
Sounds like a whole lot of non-driving to me. AWD > dusty conditions. That RS's time tells me either that was a huge bucket of faildrivers, or very very bad air conditions.

Reactions: gixxersixxerman

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was running with the Mickey Thompson street R. Running a cpe-lightweight intercooler, 3 inch exhaust, intake, solid motor mount and also transmission and passenger mounts as well. Fully adjusted stock wastegate.
What size tire?

No Down pipe?

The adjusted wastegate just allows it to hold more boost up top, correct?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
What size tire?

No Down pipe?

The adjusted wastegate just allows it to hold more boost up top, correct?
  1. He does have a 3" Down Pipe otherwise it wouldn't be "Stage 3" he said 3" exhaust not 3" cat-back
  2. The Wastegate Mod will hold more boost and slightly more max boost (Mine is 22 psi max till 4800-4900 rpm, down to 15 [email protected])
  3. Mickey Thompson Street R Drag Radial (245/45-17)

Stock is 21 psi till about 4,500 rpm and down to 12 psi at 6,000 rpm

I picked 1.7 mph with the wastegate mod.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I thought about Midnight Mayhem. When I talked to management they told me it was street tires/D.O.T tires and no prep. They do run a lane for cars with slicks and prep the surface but they won't be doing that again until after the summer time.

Not going to loose ET over a no prep race day.

Your chance to get good track conditions is to wait for IFO Dec 3rd, it will also be cooler so expect better times.

A Stage 3 car will run into the 12's depending on weight. You can remove roughly 300 lbs from the car without too much work and easy to return back to stock. It would require replacing the stock battery with a much lighter Odyssey Battery.

That might be a good idea if you want to run on your regular street tires and a easy way to pick up 3 tenths considering that's what you would give up with a 2.1 60' time.

1 tenth reduction in 60' time is 3 tenths at the end of the strip, the reverse is also true.

Reactions: gixxersixxerman

·
Registered
350 Posts
I thought about Midnight Mayhem. When I talked to management they told me it was street tires/D.O.T tires and no prep. They do run a lane for cars with slicks and prep the surface but they won't be doing that again until after the summer time.

Not going to loose ET over a no prep race day.

Your chance to get good track conditions is to wait for IFO Dec 3rd, it will also be cooler so expect better times.

A Stage 3 car will run into the 12's depending on weight. You can remove roughly 300 lbs from the car without too much work and easy to return back to stock. It would require replacing the stock battery with a much lighter Odyssey Battery.

That might be a good idea if you want to run on your regular street tires and a easy way to pick up 3 tenths considering that's what you would give up with a 2.1 60' time.

1 tenth reduction in 60' time is 3 tenths at the end of the strip, the reverse is also true.
I plan on going after summer, everyone complains about the track year long. But still get good times out of it depending on the event. They just don't make enough I don't think to prep the track for a bunch of 200-400whp cars, that's usually what runs the MM. I do have a pair of wheels and was going to get a set of slick, really I feel that's the only way on a FWD car.

Reactions: djfourmoney

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
You're trap speed looks pretty good. I'm subbing for more info, I need to work on my quick shifts. I haven't been on a strip yet, just red lights so far. I'm assuming there's a big thread with drag tips somewhere, but I haven't found it yet and I'm assuming someone will link it eventually
Not really a tips thread, it's spread out in the main 1/4 mile thread.

Shift points 5500-5800 rpm stock car, modded car 5800-6000 rpm

Stock tires or any tire with wear rating above 200 2,500-3,000 rpm launch, in Sport Mod

Drag Radials Launch 3,500-4,000 typical recommended pressure will be 18 psi, roll through the water box, rev it up to 5,000 drop the clutch. (keep dropping cold psi until it no longer wheel hops).

Slicks 4000-4500 rpm depending on track conditions. recommended pressure will be 9-10 psi cold 2-3 second burnout

* Above is assuming stock turbo

Reactions: beretta96

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I plan on going after summer, everyone complains about the track year long. But still get good times out of it depending on the event. They just don't make enough I don't think to prep the track for a bunch of 200-400whp cars, that's usually what runs the MM. I do have a pair of wheels and was going to get a set of slick, really I feel that's the only way on a FWD car.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

·
Registered
273 Posts
  1. He does have a 3" Down Pipe otherwise it wouldn't be "Stage 3" he said 3" exhaust not 3" cat-back
  2. The Wastegate Mod will hold more boost and slightly more max boost (Mine is 22 psi max till 4800-4900 rpm, down to 15 [email protected])
Stock is 21 psi till about 4,500 rpm and down to 12 psi at 6,000 rpm
I picked 1.7 mph with the wastegate mod.

I don't pay attention to all that silly lingo, "stage xxxxxxx", so was just going off what he mentioned.

How much of an adjustment did you make to the actuator? 2 turns or so?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts