Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 ST3
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first new car, I’ve always done maintenance in all my previous cars, from oil and filter changes to replacing clutches, my only concern is the warranty, I bought my st past december (2018) it only has around 8k miles. Do I have to take it to the dealer for service or can I take it somewhere else, or can I do the oil change? My only concern is keeping my warranty intact. Thanks for your replies. Also if you know a good dealership service-wise in San Diego I’ll appreciate if you let me know.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is my first new car, I’ve always done maintenance in all my previous cars, from oil and filter changes to replacing clutches, my only concern is the warranty, I bought my st past december (2018) it only has around 8k miles. Do I have to take it to the dealer for service or can I take it somewhere else, or can I do the oil change? My only concern is keeping my warranty intact. Thanks for your replies. Also if you know a good dealership service-wise in San Diego I’ll appreciate if you let me know.
I have always done all my own maintenance and I’m at 56k has a transmission replaced under warranty no questions asked so I would assume doing your own maintenance would be fine, I also keep meticulous records about when I do oil changes, how much oil I put in, mileage for oil changes, everything like that. Every aftermarket part I put in and any other maintenance I do is recorded.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think you need to keep receipts, but they can't force you to go to a dealer. FWIW, I have about 135k and done nothing but oil changes, several sets of tires, spark plugs and purge valve around 75k, and rear brakes and a wiper blade around 130k.

·
Registered
2017 ST3
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I’ll do it myself and keep receipts for the parts, I have a mountune exhaust and mountune mp275 installed by them. The purge valve you replaced is the one related with the gas tank deformation? I took my car to the dealership in regards to the purge valve but they only checked the tank for deformation and didn’t replaced anything.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Thanks, I’ll do it myself and keep receipts for the parts, I have a mountune exhaust and mountune mp275 installed by them. The purge valve you replaced is the one related with the gas tank deformation? I took my car to the dealership in regards to the purge valve but they only checked the tank for deformation and didn’t replaced anything.
Yes, I did it just before the recall was announced. Only issue was a wandering idle, which is why I replaced the plugs. That didn't solve it, so I did the valve. Plugs probably could have just been re-gapped, but whatever. Valve was only $50 and took about 15-20 minutes to do, so I'd rather do that than have to deal with a dealer to get it for free. Thankfully, I had none of the other symptoms and that solved the problem.

·
Registered
2017 ST3
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts