Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just graduated college and am looking to buy my first newish car that I will be partially paying for. Currently drive an '07 BMW 335i with around 130xxx miles on it. Test drove a 2017 Focus ST2 today with 5 miles on it that they were selling for around $24K after taxes and everything. Kinda nervous cause I've never made this large of a commitment to anything before but want to get opinions on if that is a good deal and if I should maybe pull the trigger. One concern I have after browsing the forum a bit is the resale dropoff, I plan to have this car for a while but it not holding its value at all might be a poor decision for a first car, not sure.

Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
^ I agree.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Three-greed.

Or buy a WRX...damn them and their resale value.

Buying a new Focus ST will almost make you sick with depreciation the first year.

·
Registered
407 Posts
That's a pretty good deal on an ST2, I have a '17 ST3 and that makes me feel like I got ripped off haha.

Like the others said though, if you're worried about resale, buy a couple year old car. It will still have low miles, probably great condition, but that initial resale drop will be passed already.
The ST is a great car, I'm sure everyone in this forum would agree that you wouldn't regret the purchase.

My '17 ST3 was my first new car (I'm about 2 years out of college now) and I originally wasn't going to buy new but I plan on keeping this car until it dies so I figured hey, why not. So if you plan on keeping it a long time then resale isn't particularly important because after ~10 years any sedan/hatch is worth almost nothing. But even then, buying 1-2 years old is a better bang for your buck.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Domestic cars never retain a good resale value.
Buy the ST with an extended warranty, and drive it until your student loans are paid off.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Buy used, it is true ST's will lose resale quick. Especially with the RS on the market.

Honest advice though.. rock your BMW till the wheels fall off. Car payments suck and your money is much better suited to pay down any of your debts at this point. I am assuming you're probably early 20's.. plenty of time to nab a gently used ST down the road a few years.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Agreeing with @Shifting_Gears here... Car payments suck and if that thing is paid off, it's only costing you maintenance.
If you're going to buy something get one a few years old and get it for a steal. They're listed locally all the time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
To add a bit.. Do a bit of research on whatever USED car you decide buy. Talk to the previous owner about mods and how he drove it. A lot of these cars are bought by an over enthusiastic kid who throws parts at them without knowing what he is doing. If anything, look for a Ford-certified car if you don't go new. Certified cars have a great warranty.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would think if you can't afford to pay ALL for a new car ...Either keep your Beamier till it dies or buy a cheap used 90 91 Honda Civic .Drive that while your working on getting your life together. College should teach you never expand what you do create. Then when your educated and wealthy.....Buy that Smurf Blue RS?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm probably going to get s*** for this (since it is my first post after lurking here for a while), but is it REALLY a big-boy car if you are only partially paying for it? :big smile:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Find a 2015 with low miles. Best ST year. Has the updated look and the old tighter steering rack.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree with everyone else in buying used. I snagged my 2014 ST1 with exactly 50k miles on it, 1 owner, clean title, for $13k, and they also threw in a lifetime warranty that covers engine/turbo/tranny/front & rear axles/cv joints/bearings (basically all the pricey **** is covered). Do some searching and you will find some diamonds in the rough out there.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts