Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys i have a really big favor to ask from the members that have accessports nk matter your upgrades or tunes, this is for info. I cant find any vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks. My fuel pressure is solid. But my LTFTs hang around 15.6 to 17.2 at idle and Im not sure why. Strangely enough the reason I found out is I was watching one of the youtube channels i find amusing, i believe its called wrench everyday with the chunky guy with a beard and the black ST. He was getting it tuned and his LTFTs were off almost identical to mine and they couldnt find anything to cause it besides what they thought was the intake, which shouldnt happen being these are speed density tuned, but i thought it was wierd i have an intake also and similar upgrades and i also have fuel trims that almost match his, my STFTs are ok. SO MY REQUEST PLEASE IS THAT ALL PEOPLE WHO READ THIS WITH AN ACCESSPORT CHANGE ONE OF THE GAUGES TO LTFT TO TELL ME WHERE ABOUT THOSE SIT. AT AND IDLE AND PART THROTTLE PLEASE. YOUR PARTICIPATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED IN FINDING WHETHER NOT THIS IS EFFECTING ALOT OF PEOPLE TUNED OR JUST PARTICULAR CARS. The caps locks was done so hopefully people paid attention to at least that part if any of it...lol, but seriously any help Id be very thankful for. Check back later!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Raise the rpm and hold steady at 3,000. If the trims return to near zero, thats a clear indicator of a vacuum leak. Find it by spraying flammable brake clean around various areas while monitoring short term trims. If they go negative, you've found your leak.

If the trims (total trim) remain the same or go farther positive, you have some sort of fueling or metering issue. On an Non-flex fuel car, running higher than the typical e10 will show up as positive fuel trims throughout the rpm and load range. Ive had to diagnose a few non flex cars that the owners put ethanol in the tanks of, and thats the first indicator i look for before pulling a fuel sample.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My vacuum holds steady, and its doesnt go back to zero so i know its not that. Ive never ran anything but actual gas, now i do run sunoco 260gt 100 octane with my 93, but the tune is made for that.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now ill be clear tho the fuel trims dont remain the same or go farther positive they attempt to come down just not far enough, so im thinking its an exhaust leak just i can hear

·
Registered
411 Posts
Trims are saved in blocks based on several factors including load and rpm. They never will stay consistent unless rpm and load is. The exception to this is that the condition causing the trim issue is ever-changing, like a fuel injector pintle not seating every time it closes, or something else dynamic.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know they dont stay consistent, but they shouldn't be sitting at 16.41% at idle, thats almost a guarenteed exhaust leak around the o2 or down pipe area. My fueling is all correct, my air fuel is good, my pressure doesn't drop or anything. The injector I get, but that just seems out of ordinary for a 1 year old car, it has higher miles for the year, but I never ever run emixs besides the standard 10% allowed in the gas we buy, like I don't run an corn tune. I have always run a 3 to 5 gallon 100 octane blend with sunoco 93, so I know its "clean" fuel per say, as clean as I am going to get around here. IF it was a pintle, I would think I would see differing numbers with injector pulse width and or lots of misfires, I get very few misfires even now thats its cold, ever since I did my valves I get like 10 to 20 misfires in a total warm up process. I have no doubt it could be an injector, but I'd like to eliminate all other options before I go pulling an injector, or even better trying to figure out how to get Ford to pull them under warranty. IS there something I can monitor on the accessport that you think would kind of illuminate an issue with a fuel injector. My LTFT don't really ever get to close to zero. Now my STFT are fine, and stay below 5% never negative, usually around .75 to 3.5 in that range. A\F is usually floating between 14.7 and 12.50 unless Im in 3/4 to WOT then Im below 12.5 to 11.xx, Im really boggled by these trims.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine are almost identical to yours. I can't figure it out. I've tried finding a vacuum leak. I pulled the downpipe off, checked the area around the o2 sensor. Reinstalled the the downpipe and it stays the same. I've given up and just accepted it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I know they dont stay consistent, but they shouldn't be sitting at 16.41% at idle, thats almost a guarenteed exhaust leak around the o2 or down pipe area. My fueling is all correct, my air fuel is good, my pressure doesn't drop or anything. The injector I get, but that just seems out of ordinary for a 1 year old car, it has higher miles for the year, but I never ever run emixs besides the standard 10% allowed in the gas we buy, like I don't run an corn tune. I have always run a 3 to 5 gallon 100 octane blend with sunoco 93, so I know its "clean" fuel per say, as clean as I am going to get around here. IF it was a pintle, I would think I would see differing numbers with injector pulse width and or lots of misfires, I get very few misfires even now thats its cold, ever since I did my valves I get like 10 to 20 misfires in a total warm up process. I have no doubt it could be an injector, but I'd like to eliminate all other options before I go pulling an injector, or even better trying to figure out how to get Ford to pull them under warranty. IS there something I can monitor on the accessport that you think would kind of illuminate an issue with a fuel injector. My LTFT don't really ever get to close to zero. Now my STFT are fine, and stay below 5% never negative, usually around .75 to 3.5 in that range. A\F is usually floating between 14.7 and 12.50 unless Im in 3/4 to WOT then Im below 12.5 to 11.xx, Im really boggled by these trims.
The injector issue was just an example of a changing problem. Your car does not have a bad injector. If it was an injector, your trims would be negative. Not positive.

Is your car able to be returned to stock tune? If so, return the tune to stock then do what i outlined in my original post and get back to us.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How can I monitor if if i return it to stock tune? Then Id be uninstalling the accessport, unless you mean like cobbs stage 0, i dont have way of monitoring or datalogging without the accessport installed. So how would i know what my trims are without monitoring?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine are almost identical to yours. I can't figure it out. I've tried finding a vacuum leak. I pulled the downpipe off, checked the area around the o2 sensor. Reinstalled the the downpipe and it stays the same. I've given up and just accepted it.
See I wish others on here would check also cause i think its the tuning honestly, i am positive my car doesnt have a vacuum leak, and 99.9% sure theres no exhaust leak, it just doesnt make sense. I watched a video on this, and the guy tuning it straightened it out thru tuning from what i believe, but im really curious to see how people have this issue cause id bet its more common then not.

·
Registered
411 Posts
How can I monitor if if i return it to stock tune? Then Id be uninstalling the accessport, unless you mean like cobbs stage 0, i dont have way of monitoring or datalogging without the accessport installed. So how would i know what my trims are without monitoring?
Unfortunately im not familiar with the accessport and how data monitoring works without the tune on, but id like to rule out the tune as a factor.

Speaking of though, are you throwing a p0174? If not, i I wouldn't even worry about it. Because if im not mistaken at the +15% or -15% total trim threshold will set a p0174 or p0171, respectively, on these cars.

·
Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
Unfortunately im not familiar with the accessport and how data monitoring works without the tune on, but id like to rule out the tune as a factor.

Speaking of though, are you throwing a p0174? If not, i I wouldn't even worry about it. Because if im not mistaken at the +15% or -15% total trim threshold will set a p0174 or p0171, respectively, on these cars.
Yeah, people go crazy over numbers when there's no real problem quite often. Some people more than others, lmfao

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yeah, people go crazy over numbers when there's no real problem quite often. Some people more than others, lmfao
Agreed. I guess i should have specified that the 15 percent rule is on factory programming. So if its hanging at 16 percent for any amount of time and isnt setting a code then that parameter has been purposely changed in the tune for a reason.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine was the same before and after I tuned my car. I just wish I could remember what it was before I started bolting parts on it. If you want to monitor it without the accessport go with a Bluetooth obd-ii and the torque app.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I caught this Duece, I know where you live and it aint far from me. HAHAHA, just kidding, Im not crazy. No my reasoning to want to bring into reasonable range is so the ecu isn't fighting to always correct it. And what I was thinking about is, these lil random knocks I get sometimes or ignition pulls sometimes just at the beginning of a pull for literally a millisecond, could that be the fuel trim being off like that and the ecu correcting itself right away which is why the 1 knock or -0.30 of ignition pull in the beginning of a pull disappears as soon as the trim is corrected. I don't know, most people would say no thats not it but I don't know I think its an interesting thought.

·
Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
I caught this Duece, I know where you live and it aint far from me. HAHAHA, just kidding, Im not crazy. No my reasoning to want to bring into reasonable range is so the ecu isn't fighting to always correct it. And what I was thinking about is, these lil random knocks I get sometimes or ignition pulls sometimes just at the beginning of a pull for literally a millisecond, could that be the fuel trim being off like that and the ecu correcting itself right away which is why the 1 knock or -0.30 of ignition pull in the beginning of a pull disappears as soon as the trim is corrected. I don't know, most people would say no thats not it but I don't know I think its an interesting thought.
You are the inquisitive kind.

If you had this same level of monitoring on an older platform, you'd be admitted into a psych ward with the lack of response and BS those ecu's would allow to happen.

Our car's "brain" is spectacular, and the only time it isn't is if it's tuned too hard or wreckless, and also if safeguards are bypassed.

It's really hard to blow these cars up, between the knock sensors, limp mode, monitoring/reaction speeds. It's normally the end user and lack of maint that causes kabooms.

I get that you are trying to sort something out, and questing for knowledge in the name of performance and reliability, I just want to make sure you are sleeping well at night. Not being driven mad over this little stuff, lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Isn’t the 15% thing only for the SHFT not the LTFT?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Isn’t the 15% thing only for the SHFT not the LTFT?
Its for total trim, which is short term PLUS long term trim. But as i said before, if it's past that threshold and not flagging codes, there must be something adjusted in the tune to accomodate that.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Curious what intake you have? If any?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts