Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's up guys. As I have mentioned in a few other post, I picked up a 2014 ST3 from auction a few weeks ago. It is a flood car so as you can imagine, there are a few issues. First being the myriad of lights on the dash. The battery was fried when I received the car, so after placing a fresh battery into it the dash lite right up with ABS, Traction Control, Warning, Check Eng, Engine Fault, Etc...

20180126_134501.jpg

The car will idle, but is in limp mode with the below codes showing up on my scanner.

P0607 - PCM/ECM (powertrain/engine control module) has failed
P068a - ECM/PCM Power Relay De-Energized Performance
P1299 - Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor Detected Engine Overheating Condition
P2610 - ECM/PCM Internal Engine Off Timer Performance
U0109 - Lost Communication With Fuel Pump Control Module
P061b - Control Module Torque Calculation Performance

Screenshot_20180203-154244.png Screenshot_20180203-154413.png

Side note: I pulled the ECM out the case slightly, plugs look fine

Additionally the radio doesn't play, power steering seems delayed or as failing, headlights don't come on and the wiper motors are all over the place when engaged.

Other weird things, like random unplugs and the sway bar linkage was loose enough to allow a tab on the strut to turn into the rim and chew it up. Something looks missing on the exhaust also.

20180203_135130.jpg
20180203_113942.jpg

20180203_113948.jpg

20180203_135110.jpg

Did find a HKS BOV though

20180203_135100.jpg

I don't even know where to start with this.. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Did you buy this dirt cheap? I only asked because flood cars can become nightmares really fast. My brother in law owns a body shop so he has a auctioneer license. He purchased a Katrina M3 and it was a massive expensive headache. If it was cheap then maybe I can see the lure of buying one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deal or no deal... I own it now. I have bought a few cars over the past few weeks from auction. This one has had the most issues thus far. Just have to roll the dice when buying at auction. I actually bought this car to keep and play with.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
With a flood car, you need to strip the entire car down, check ever harness to make sure there is no moisture in the connectors then make sure there is no corrosion anywhere alone the way. Then you may want to buy another salvage car (probably one that was either wrecked or has a blown motor, but not flood damaged) and then start swapping out all the modules that were below the water damage line.

Flood cars are absolutely the worse to try to get fixed... Often they are never right.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would first go to the BCM and check that since most of those are controlled by that Nd not the ecm, then look at all the connectors below the water line.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I would first go to the BCM and check that since most of those are controlled by that Nd not the ecm, then look at all the connectors below the water line.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BCM is not in a good way right now. I'm ordering a new one this week.

The random unplug looks like the plug for the AGS
You are correct sir. Shutters were removed I am guessing by previous owner

I have plenty of grounding issues to address. Interior will be fully out in a few days. I'll search for and clean up all corrosion issues, then put in the new BCM. Hopefully that solves the bulk of the problems then I'll get the ECM reflashed

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With a flood car, you need to strip the entire car down, check ever harness to make sure there is no moisture in the connectors then make sure there is no corrosion anywhere alone the way. Then you may want to buy another salvage car (probably one that was either wrecked or has a blown motor, but not flood damaged) and then start swapping out all the modules that were below the water damage line.

Flood cars are absolutely the worse to try to get fixed... Often they are never right.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Wrecked ST's are hard to find here. Will any 2014 focus donor work or does it have to be an ST?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Curious how much you paid and the condition of the rest of the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Car needs a bumper cover and a windshield. Interior is perfect other that having some water in it. 27k miles.. I paid more than I wanted to but these cars rarely go to auction in one piece. It will come together. I saw a guy on here put one back together that I never thought could be, this is minor compared to that.

Iam curious if any 14 focus will work as a donor. I can scoop one up in the event I find more minor parts are needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts