Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some AP fender flares, and looking for some help on cutting the fenders.

Any tips or tricks?

Measurements?

How did you seal the rear quarter panels?

Pictures would be awesome!

Thank you in advance!!

Registered
Honestly speaking? It's a real professional job. I've just taken my car to a local body shop to show them my new Fifteen52 flares and even they said it's a big job that'll take a LOT of work.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really not afraid of the work, I am sure I can get it cut and mounted in a day. I wont be doing it however until this winter so ill have a good 4-5 months to complete the project. Just looking for a few pointers from people that have done it all ready.

Registered
This summer I tackled installing 1552 flares on the ST.

It was ALOT of work. The shop was right in saying so. I would seriously expect to take more time than a day to get them bolted on and cut. Atleast 2.

Then expect more time to trim when you have rubbing (expect to have some rubbing especially in the front).

I chose to do the paint myself, i can only speak for 1552's product but they required a huge amount of prep. With all the stuff I have going on I still have them primer black and without a final coat.

You will be cutting or removing the wheelwell liners in the front and removing those in the rear. Id recomend planning a way to make new ones, unless you dont care.

To fix the rear together I cut the outside layer of sheetmetal higher than the inside, about an inch, then snipped the inside metal into tabs which I folded over the outside. If you have the capacity to weld that would be nice, I cant weld that so i used a good polyeurethane glue in between the layers and over the folded tabs. Then I put some snap rivets on a few of them.

A huge tip for the rear, dont get it all buttoned up before you have decided you forsure have enough clearance. I could have cut mine a half inch higher and becuase of that have minor rubbing on some bumps. (Will address eventually)

Good luck and have fun!

+ I used a grinder and cutting discs to make the cuts. I Eyeballed the height and matched side to side. I eyeballed the radius also. To finalize shaping and do trimming I used a flap sander disc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This summer I tackled installing 1552 flares on the ST.

It was ALOT of work. The shop was right in saying so. I would seriously expect to take more time than a day to get them bolted on and cut. Atleast 2.

Then expect more time to trim when you have rubbing (expect to have some rubbing especially in the front).

I chose to do the paint myself, i can only speak for 1552's product but they required a huge amount of prep. With all the stuff I have going on I still have them primer black and without a final coat.

You will be cutting or removing the wheelwell liners in the front and removing those in the rear. Id recomend planning a way to make new ones, unless you dont care.

To fix the rear together I cut the outside layer of sheetmetal higher than the inside, about an inch, then snipped the inside metal into tabs which I folded over the outside. If you have the capacity to weld that would be nice, I cant weld that so i used a good polyeurethane glue in between the layers and over the folded tabs. Then I put some snap rivets on a few of them.

A huge tip for the rear, dont get it all buttoned up before you have decided you forsure have enough clearance. I could have cut mine a half inch higher and becuase of that have minor rubbing on some bumps. (Will address eventually)

Good luck and have fun!

+ I used a grinder and cutting discs to make the cuts. I Eyeballed the height and matched side to side. I eyeballed the radius also. To finalize shaping and do trimming I used a flap sander disc.

Thank you very much! I appriciate the tips!

I will be welding my rears. I plan to undercoat the rear quarters when i am done also.

What is the most that you would cut off in the rear?

Registered
Just imagine the wheel bouncing up and how much clearance you will need for a usable wheel well. Feel the two sheets between your finger and thumb, cut and fold from maybe an inch from where they start to space out more. They run fairly parallel for 5 inches or so. There?s a lot of room to cut as much off as you want really.

I cut slightly too little and was getting some rubbing on bumps (also I want to go lower). Switched to stiffer springs for a quick fix till I can redo the cuts.

Registered
I haven't done it on my Focus but I did on my older Mustang. It was a PITA. The front was relatively easy, since there is only one layer of metal to cut through. The back is easily and all day project, maybe more if you don't have all the tools/parts you need readily available.

I used a wiz wheel to cut the fenders/quarters. Then tapped the inner and outer rear quarters together with a hammer. I welded to the seams together. Which I would recommend for structural integrity since that is how the unibody is designed to begin with. Then I used a grinder to smooth everything out. Primed and painted the weld joints. Then attached the flares with double sided taped and sheet metal screws, which looked fine considering the design of the flares.

The process is something that I don't want to repeat unless I have to. Which I did in this case in order to fit larger tires on my foxbody. It is my dedicated OT car.

Registered
Just imagine the wheel bouncing up and how much clearance you will need for a usable wheel well. Feel the two sheets between your finger and thumb, cut and fold from maybe an inch from where they start to space out more. They run fairly parallel for 5 inches or so. There?s a lot of room to cut as much off as you want really.

I cut slightly too little and was getting some rubbing on bumps (also I want to go lower). Switched to stiffer springs for a quick fix till I can redo the cuts.
You've done the Fifteen52 arches, so maybe you can help me. I've got a set that I'm "hoping" to get fitted, and I was also hoping to fit a set of 19x9.5 Forgestar Super Deep Concave F14s. But I've been told that the Fifteen52 flares will only take 18x9.5 and 19in is too big. Would you agree with this, is 19in too big even though you have to cut the fenders to make the arch bigger?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts