Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at almost every option for our car, I was deciding between Fortune Auto and Feal. I've read many good reviews about Fortune Auto and wanted to go with them but I have friends that have Feal coilovers on their drift cars and have only said good things about them. The deciding factor was the low prices for rebuilding and they're located in SoCal while I'm in NorCal. With UPS Ground the package arrived in two days.

Quick Specs (from Feal website)
- 7k/7k Spring Rates
- One way adjustable, 30 click spectrum
- Monotube
- Japanese Swift springs
- Assembled in house, U.S.A.
- Rebuildable and revalvable in house, U.S.A.
- Independent height adjustment
- Teflon injected spherical bearing top mounts front and rear (MacPherson applications)
- Aluminum top mounts
- Camber adjustable front top mounts (MacPherson applications)
- Corrosion resistant coating + Anodized aluminum parts
- High quality low friction seals and rod guide bushings
- High flow pistons (allows super high range of damping tuning)

I just got them a couple hours ago so I took some pics before I take the car into the shop tomorrow and install them. They definitely look good.
_DSC7822.jpg _DSC7826.jpg _DSC7827.jpg _DSC7828.jpg _DSC7830.jpg _DSC7831.jpg _DSC7834.jpg _DSC7838.jpg _DSC7839.jpg _DSC7841.jpg

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Nice! I didnt know that feal offered those kind of rates. Looks like another good option for those looking for some proper biased spring rates for the FoST

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Couldn't find these on their website. Do you mind sharing what they cost you?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
They should be on their website for 1350 but they also have road race and max travel specs for 1550. I got my through MAPerformance with free shipping, no tax, and a discount for 1260. They took almost a month to arrive since they are built to order.

I have them installed now, will post pics/impressions later today.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Install/thoughts/pics

Install:
No install sheet included in the box. I watched a video of ST-X coilovers being installed and basically followed that. Everything fit in exactly as it should. I made sure to put anti-seize everywhere basically to prevent squeaks/noises and it worked. Everything is quiet and feels strong. Nothing special needed for the install.

Thoughts:
They're a lot better than I expected. I pretty much lowered the rear all the way, I think I was supposed to take the rubber spacer off the top of the spring so if it doesn't settle more in the next week I'll remove it. Fronts have about 3/4's of an inch of adjustment left. Spring preload was set out of the box which was nice.

The streets around my city are pretty bad with only the highways being nice. With the stock suspension everything felt kinda bouncy even on a smooth road. It felt good and was pretty comfortable but I knew it could be better. I mainly got coils to lower the car but getting a nicer ride is a huge plus. I left the dampening settings as they were set which is at 15/30. In between firm/soft basically. Everything feels solid with these coilovers but not in a bad way. There's only movement with bigger cracks or dips and everything else is smooth. I've only driven about 30 miles since the install but everything feels good and makes you want to drive with confidence. I need new tires before I could do that I'm just trying to get the fitment how I want it before getting the new tires/alignment.

Pics:
_DSC7870.jpg _DSC7872.jpg _DSC7873.jpg _DSC7876.jpg

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Feal Suspension is a great company located in SoCal. While they may use main body parts from Taiwan (and not shy to admit it) from the very same factories as BC, that's where the similarities stop.

Feal's expertise, is where they build using the right shim stacks (for proper valving), using better oils, and assemble in their SoCal shop to spec, a boutique shop if you will. A suspension that is proper for the car, and not just what fits. This is what sets them apart from many of the other coilovers out there. Especially the sub $1500 market (excluding mFactory, KW/ST, and a minimal few others.) Anything under $1000 will be pure unadulterated crap for a coilover.

If you want to use different spring rates, or different valving, you can ask them and they will tell you what is possible. Often at no extra charge too IIRC.

If you ever get sick of your sub $1000 coilovers and the pogo like ride, and harsh bouncing ride, they can also take them and most likely rebuild them to their spec too. It's one of their great service offerings.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Looks like a well designed and built set of coils. Even though the tubes are Taiwan it looks like all the other bits were designed to Feal specs. The only thing I would want to ask Feal about is the rates. Why did they use the same rate front and rear?

You didn't happen to measure the spring lengths before you installed the kit did you?

·
Registered
31 Posts
isohi,

First of all, great looking car...the all white looks smooth! I also appreciate the pictures of the actual products before the install. I'm also curious about these coilovers after seeing their name in another thread by mitch808. I went to their website and read everything about them too.

You said that you're almost all the way down in the rear, so you could be higher...by approx. how much? You have 3/4" left on the fronts, again you could set higher? I ask because I would want to set a little higher than you. I live in Michigan and drive mine year-round, so I'd like to go close to stock height in the winter. Would you say you can get close to stock at the highest settings? Could you snap some shots of the coilovers after you get done tinkering with the height just so we can get a feel of where you're at on the shocks compared to how the car sits? Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
@isohi, how do the rear springs mount with the Feal kit? Are the adjustment collars on top or on bottom? Was there any sort of spring seat provided for the other end of the spring? I'm interested in adapting my current coilovers to use 60mm springs at some point in the future and was trying to figure out if the rears would need some sort of spring seat/adapter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for the lack of responses, kinda forgot I posted here.

Here’s a little more info after a month and a half of having these installed.

First of all, ride quality is great. Easily more planted and more comfortable than stock. Santa Rosa has terrible roads so with the stock suspension the car seemed bouncy and choppy even on smooth roads. We have 7 cars at my house (ST, 03 Yukon XL, 04 CRV, 99 M3, 03 530i, 99 T100, 95 E320) and only the Benz E320 has a more comfortable ride. That thing is crazy comfy even for an old car.

I haven’t taken the car onto a track yet so can’t really speak about performance entirely. Onramps/offramps are really fun and can definitely be taken faster than with the stock suspension.

As for current ride settings, I raised the car a bit more than the initial install since I switched back to stock wheels and ran into a few issues. I adjusted the camber to the negative side on the fronts for cool points(stupid I know) and because I did that the inside of the wheel rubbed on the strut. You have undo the 3 nuts at the tower and drop the strut to change the camber and I didn’t want to do that so I ordered 25mm spacers. It looked awesome and didn’t rub the strut anymore but would rub on the fender slightly on bigger bumps. Switched to 20mm and all is well. The rear is fully dropped on the spring adjuster and I mounted the 25mm spacers. It clears fine and no rubbing happens. There is still a lot of adjustment to go lower in the front so I am a little surprised the rear doesn’t drop lower. Having spacers also causes more rocks to hit your car on the side but to tell you the truth is doesn’t bother me at all, but I know a lot of you care so just a heads up. I’ll be switching back to my OZ wheels later in the summer with new tires since I don’t really like running spacers and the stock wheels look kinda trash without them, the fitment at least.

Anyways, overall I’m really happy with these coils and would recommend them without hesitation.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
isohi,

First of all, great looking car...the all white looks smooth! I also appreciate the pictures of the actual products before the install. I'm also curious about these coilovers after seeing their name in another thread by mitch808. I went to their website and read everything about them too.

You said that you're almost all the way down in the rear, so you could be higher...by approx. how much? You have 3/4" left on the fronts, again you could set higher? I ask because I would want to set a little higher than you. I live in Michigan and drive mine year-round, so I'd like to go close to stock height in the winter. Would you say you can get close to stock at the highest settings? Could you snap some shots of the coilovers after you get done tinkering with the height just so we can get a feel of where you're at on the shocks compared to how the car sits? Thanks
Thanks for the compliments, sorry for the late reply.

I did not measure anything unfortunately I never really thought about it I just counted how many threads were left. Next time I switch my wheels I’ll get measurements. But I think you can get close to stock height. There’s a lot of room to go up on the fronts and the rear.

@isohi, how do the rear springs mount with the Feal kit? Are the adjustment collars on top or on bottom? Was there any sort of spring seat provided for the other end of the spring? I'm interested in adapting my current coilovers to use 60mm springs at some point in the future and was trying to figure out if the rears would need some sort of spring seat/adapter.
I installed them with the adjustment collar on the bottom. There’s was no instructions in the box. I’m starting to believe it may have been the other way like on BC’s but then again they fit perfectly how they are. Initially I included the rubber spacers from the stock suspension but removed them after emailing them and confirming they were not needed. I covered everything with anti-seize and I have yet to hear a squeak.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Super big favor to ask you. Could you measure the center of your wheel arches height from the ground? Could you measure how much adjustment is left in the front?

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts