Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read through the st vs wrx thread for a while and was watching alot of youtube vids with the st vs wrx and sti. Not until a few days ago when i raced a bugeye sti and a newer 2016 sti and won both times. My mods are mbrp catback, fswerks intake, one step colder spark plugs, stratified stage 1 tune and of course cobb AP.

bugeye sti defiently was modded intake,exhaust, tune at the least. was driving like an idiot in front of me on expressway and once it was clear to pass i passed and i heard him downshift and floor it. I was mainly in 5th pulling the whole time on him from about 70-120. I thought these cars were much faster?

2016 sti- pretty sure it was stock or maybe just catback, i was at a light and he turned on the road i was planning on going down on way to work. light was about 4 minutes long. This douche waited about 5 minutes in the middle lane/turning lane for me about qtr mile down the road. he Kept cutting me off then proceed to do 30 while revving in front of me. I downshifted to 2nd and pulled next to him and we both floored it at the same time. i put about 5-6 cars lengths on him. Every shift i had was perfect with flat foot shifting at about 5000-5500 rpm.

Did both of these cars have bad drivers or are our cars just this good lol.

Waiting on funds for intercooler to go stage 2, cant imagine how it could get any better. The drivability of this car for DD is insane. This is coming from a 2008 civic si with FBO which i thought that car was the best DD. Sometimes i miss my 8th gen si but ringing out gears for power was getting old and i never was able to use the real top end of the car.

I valet cars as a second job and no car compares to the feel of this car.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I read through the st vs wrx thread for a while and was watching alot of youtube vids with the st vs wrx and sti. Not until a few days ago when i raced a bugeye sti and a newer 2016 sti and won both times. My mods are mbrp catback, fswerks intake, one step colder spark plugs, stratified stage 1 tune and of course cobb AP.

bugeye sti defiently was modded intake,exhaust, tune at the least. was driving like an idiot in front of me on expressway and once it was clear to pass i passed and i heard him downshift and floor it. I was mainly in 5th pulling the whole time on him from about 70-120. I thought these cars were much faster?

2016 sti- pretty sure it was stock or maybe just catback, i was at a light and he turned on the road i was planning on going down on way to work. light was about 4 minutes long. This douche waited about 5 minutes in the middle lane/turning lane for me about qtr mile down the road. he Kept cutting me off then proceed to do 30 while revving in front of me. I downshifted to 2nd and pulled next to him and we both floored it at the same time. i put about 5-6 cars lengths on him. Every shift i had was perfect with flat foot shifting at about 5000-5500 rpm.

Did both of these cars have bad drivers or are our cars just this good lol.

Waiting on funds for intercooler to go stage 2, cant imagine how it could get any better. The drivability of this car for DD is insane. This is coming from a 2008 civic si with FBO which i thought that car was the best DD. Sometimes i miss my 8th gen si but ringing out gears for power was getting old and i never was able to use the real top end of the car.

I valet cars as a second job and no car compares to the feel of this car.
Our cars are little baby torque monsters. Even if we have less HP we have more torque almost every time. My stage 3 car is 351-360ft/lb torque...that pulls on some V8 muscle cars at certain speeds. From 2nd to top of 4th we definitely eat WRX/STI in most scenarios.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stage 2 would me just adding intercooler. Can any one chime in the differences and how it felt going from stage 1-2?

Im assuming i can do back to back pulls now without heatsoak and summer driving will be better?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
My Stage 2 car on Torrie's E30 tune is quicker than most Stage 3's running a 93 tune I bet. Find out tomorrow night at the track...
Stage 1 STs with E30 run alongside Stage 3 93oct STs, so yours will definitely beat out Stage 3 93 STs if you have the driver mod advantage

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
stage 2 would me just adding intercooler. Can any one chime in the differences and how it felt going from stage 1-2?

Im assuming i can do back to back pulls now without heatsoak and summer driving will be better?
Correct, there is a small power difference also, but mainly you no longer have to worry about making 250whp one run and 210 the next. It's a much needed mod even on untuned cars imo.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I've run my SRT4 at the track so I have a bit of experience with front drive/torque steer...currently my car launches straight like a beast and doesn't cause me to pedal 1st or 2nd gear and is much quicker than my Stage 2 Dodge (which I sold). I'm looking to see a 13.8, 13.9 on the stock PZero's...it will be warm tomorrow night so I should hook well I hope, I have zero hop, but she does spin like mad! I'm guessing a 16" rim with a M&H would easily knock 1/2 second off this car down the 1320...
If you can find a 16" to fit over your brakes it'll definitely be a vast improvement, your biggest issue is by far your tires. Those things are more doo-doo than the F1 summers. I wouldn't be entirely comfortable betting that you'll do under 14.x seconds just because of the tires. The warmth of this coming week/weekend will help a lot though.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
View attachment 277450

so is this pic from stratified right? I would assume you would feel a 10hp bump
If you specifically feel for it, yes you will feel it. If you compare it to the drastic difference when you first tuned your car then it won't feel nearly as nice. Since when you tuned your car you gained like 50+ torque. It's definitely a difference though.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I"m gonna leave at 2800 and see what she'll do. Fingers crossed, she pulls like a high 13 second car on the street...but I need perfect, or near perfect launches at the track to prove it or it'll be just like my SRT4 was, a complete disappointment at the track, but super fun on the street (if you like death rides that is, that SRT4 was a death ride with torque steer like crazy).
Yeah SRT4 and Mazdaspeed 3s make our torque steer feel like a joke. Terrifying cars if you have never driven one.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
View attachment 277450

so is this pic from stratified right? I would assume you would feel a 10hp and tq bump
If you specifically feel for it, yes you will feel it. If you compare it to the drastic difference when you first tuned your car then it won't feel nearly as nice. Since when you tuned your car you gained like 50+ torque. It's definitely a difference though.
Those strat numbers are Whp... w = WHEEL... factory is crank so you are getting WAY more than 10+ once you go stage 3 you are 80lbs stronger on trq

Yeah a STi driver has to be really good to win on a 40MPH roll race and at 50-60 MPH STi got no chance. even stock I have taken the cake against a 2017 STi at 50roll

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Those strat numbers are Whp... w = WHEEL... factory is crank so you are getting WAY more than 10+ once you go stage 3 you are 80lbs stronger on trq

Yeah a STi driver has to be really good to win on a 40MPH roll race and at 50-60 MPH STi got no chance. even stock I have taken the cake against a 2017 STi at 50roll
Agreed. STI have top end definitely compared to us and get off the line a lot faster once their turbo finally hits, but we wreck them in the midrange.

And if he didn't know they are wheel horsepower, than I'll also add in that stock out car makes like 225-230hp on a dyno...so tuning and adding mods definitely makes a bigger difference than just "10hp" :cool:

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Agreed. STI have top end definitely compared to us and get off the line a lot faster once their turbo finally hits, but we wreck them in the midrange.

And if he didn't know they are wheel horsepower, than I'll also add in that stock out car makes like 225-230hp on a dyno...so tuning and adding mods definitely makes a bigger difference than just "10hp" :cool:
yeah, even a stage 1 tune is more than 10hp and a lot more than 10 trq. even the COBB OTS... a good strat tune is going to be more of course and that is why you pay to have a custom revised tune. Honestly don't see the point til you are at stage 3 or if you are going all the way then big turbo and at that point of BT you will have to have custom tuning

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
yeah, even a stage 1 tune is more than 10hp and a lot more than 10 trq. even the COBB OTS... a good strat tune is going to be more of course and that is why you pay to have a custom revised tune. Honestly don't see the point til you are at stage 3 or if you are going all the way then big turbo and at that point of BT you will have to have custom tuning
Yeah I held off on flash tune until I order all my parts for Stage 3 because paying for flash updates is pricey when you can just get a custom tune. So I got all my parts first then got a nice stage 3 equivalent tune and now I'm happy at 265ish/355ish

·
Registered
277 Posts
I underestimated my car for a while (or maybe overestimated subies) but I too take the W when up against WRXs and STIs. I definitely felt a difference after I got my IC on. But I live in TX where its 100+ EZ in the summer. So heatsoak was a very real issue. Also keep in mind the IC alone only gives more consistent power but once your tuner can compensate for the cooler temps you can pick up more power overall.

·
Registered
497 Posts
View attachment 277458 All that power and it only ran a best of 14.4! I lost probably close to a second at the track between no traction on street tires and the horrible torque steer...I don't miss this car at all now that I have my FoST.
I'll be danged...traded in my 2008 SRT4 for my ST. I enjoyed that car. FMM was the key to decreasing torque steer on that one. But it came with the trade off of some pretty serious vibration and a stern mental reminder to myself to never idle with the a/c on!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Car had a solid mount, traction bar too. It wasn't nearly as quick as it shoulda been in my opinion. One thing that was right on that car was the intercooler, Dodge didn't give those cars the pathetically small and wimpy one's they give our ST's. I got tired of the 3" catless DP in mine too, took it on a 1,900 mile vacation in July and once I was back home I was done with the car, lol. It was too much like a rattletrap go-kart for me to enjoy. BTW, I bought it from a friend already set up that way, I actually thought I'd get used to the death ride torque steer in 2nd and 3rd gear, but it was too un-nerving and waaaay too unwieldy to enjoy on narrow roads or streets for me..
Mine had a LOT of mysterious front end noises that eventually killed my joy of driving it. Some of the components of that car were up for 285HP, some were not!

·
Registered
57 Posts
bugeye sti defiently was modded intake,exhaust, tune at the least. was driving like an idiot in front of me on expressway and once it was clear to pass i passed and i heard him downshift and floor it. I was mainly in 5th pulling the whole time on him from about 70-120.
So...you passed someone on the expressway who you state was driving like an idiot in front of you, and then decided to race him from 70 to 120 mph. Who's the real idiot here?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts