Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought some used ST3 headlights from a guy on a focus ST facebook group I am on, and just noticed that the headlights aren't the same. From what I can tell, OEM 2013 ST3 headlights have a little hood (like the bill of a hat sticking out) over the HID lens, but for some reason my drivers side doesn't and the passenger does. I have been researching and found that Spyder made a replica that didn't have the hood over the lens and looks identical but doesn't have the ford part numbers or anything to make it seem like a complete fake, just a replica. What is odd is my driver headlight has all the ford part numbers on it and I can't find a single detail between the two besides the hood missing, that identifies it as a fake or something similar.

Talked to the guy and he was even confused as he had these on his car for quite a while, and never noticed that, he looked and found the electric focus headlight which doesn't have the hood, but is chrome inside instead of black. So either the guy he bought them from had modified just that part of the light for some reason or I am missing something here. I did find a thread on focus fanatics where a company sold replica lights that even had the ford part numbers on them, but the side reflectors were black and not amber like mine.

I am nervous because the driver light has a burn mark just below the lens and I am wondering if the headlight may catch fire again, or something. Anyone know what could have happened or have any advice? I bought these for cheap as the I live in houston and being that Hurricane Harvey totaled so many STs, he bought a couple to build an ST, and had extra headlights. I can't afford to buy another headlight and I am not sure what to do...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Okay I looked more at the lights to see if there was any small differences I had missed, and there were a few.
1) The driver light, which doesn't have the hood, also says it uses D3S bulbs and no mention of a D8S. Unlike the passenger, which has the hood and mentions both D8S and D3S bulbs, like they should.
2) The driver light doesn't have a made in Czech Republic mark molded into the back housing, unlike the passenger which does.
3) It seems that the driver light was an original 35 watt headlight, meaning it may have come from another country originally, but I can't find pictures to see if they look different than the US ones.

Driver side:
20171011_163949.jpg
20171011_163953.jpg

Passenger side:
20171011_163935.jpg
20171011_163943.jpg

So does anyone have any idea if the 35 watt lights were different than the US 25 watt lights besides the obvious?

EDIT: Just noticed that the part numbers are slightly different (which they should be but they are different revisions even, Driver is AC, and Passenger is AG)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts