Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see what I should worry about checking at this point. I didn't smell anything with the cat installed, and no smoke before or after the straight downpipe. I do have a small exhaust leak at the downpipe to muffler flange, that I've been too lazy to fix... Probably why it's so noticeable.

Anyways, it is very faint, is it anything to worry about for now considering there's no smoke? I don't notice anything on the driveway as well so I don't think it's an external leak.

·
Registered
2013 Tangerine Scream ST2
12 Posts
do you have a catch can? before I got mine the intake would fill up with oil and run down to the turbo over time and cause a faint oil smell. check the pcv hose on the back side of the intake.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Have you smelled a catless exhaust prior to this? They have different levels of stink to them. Have you fully broken in your catless dp? Any oils or whatever from your hands or manufacturing of it will burn off eventually, might just be that too.

Normally an oil leak will smoke bluish and be visible, not just a faint smell. Fix your exhaust leak and put some miles on the new dp. See if it goes away

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
i used to have a faint oil smell, then i replaced the gasket between the downpipe and catback. Haven't had it ever since.

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm used to catless cars. Usually just gas smell, never oil.

I don't have a catch can... it's on my list but getting both of them is $4-500 so it might be a minute. Just don't have that sort of cash at the moment.

I'm sure the leak before the muffler isn't helping, either... although that just pushes the smell further away from the cabin. I've got about 500 miles on it since installing the DP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
my Catless DP is well broken in so I'm sure it isn't that on mine I only smell it when the oil makes it down to the turbo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah I'm used to catless cars. Usually just gas smell, never oil.

I don't have a catch can... it's on my list but getting both of them is $4-500 so it might be a minute. Just don't have that sort of cash at the moment.

I'm sure the leak before the muffler isn't helping, either... although that just pushes the smell further away from the cabin. I've got about 500 miles on it since installing the DP.
I ordered my catch cans from Amazon for $60.00 total I've heard that they are not any worse than the expensive ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts