Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 ST, stock(to my knowledge). Owned it for a couple of years now.

Have to do emissions test this year to renew registration and it failed due to 4 monitors being "not ready", namely: Fuel System, Oxygen Sensor, Heated O2 sensor, Catalytic Converter. Guy at the testing facility said to drive around more, go to highways, etc.

Tried going through recommended driving cycle for couple of hundred miles now - nothing changes.

Went to dealership - they told me just to drive around more and also said they probably can't reset anything to default since the can only do updates and if there is no update - nothing will be applied to the system(?). Worth trying another dealership?

I've seen references on this forum and others, that chip tuning can mess with emissions test. People were re-flashing back to default and emissions test would go through within minutes. I'm not the first owner, so i have no idea if previous owner left some non-default tune applied. Is there an easy way to check this?

Any advice on what else can be done besides aimlessly driving around hoping for incomplete tests to eventually run? :)

Emissions readiness:
Screenshot_20170911-191109.png

Mode $06 report generated by Torque for Android
================================================
Vehicle VIN: Not present
Vehicle Manufacturer: Unknown
Vehicle Calibration ID: Not present

Test report:
------------------
MID:$01 TID:$87
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Max: 400ms Min: 0ms
Test result value: 21ms
PASS
----
MID:$01 TID:$88
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Test result value: 10ms
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$85
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Test incomplete or dependant test failed

--
MID:$02 TID:$86
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Max: 6,000ms Min: 0ms
Test result value: 0ms
PASS
----
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
PASS
----
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
PASS
----
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2

--
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
PASS
----
MID:$21 TID:$81
- Catalyst Monitor Bank 1

--
MID:$35 TID:$82
-
Max: 22.36° Min: 0°
Test result value: 0.03°
PASS
----
MID:$35 TID:$83
-
Max: 5.47° Min: 0°
Test result value: 0°
PASS
----
MID:$35 TID:$84
-
Max: 14.14° Min: 0°
Test result value: 0°
PASS
----
MID:$35 TID:$85
-
Max: 14.14° Min: 0°
Test result value: 0.09°
PASS
----
MID:$3a TID:$80
- EVAP Monitor (cap off)
Max: 8,191.75Pa Min: -996.25Pa
Test result value: 0.25Pa
PASS
----
MID:$3a TID:$82
- EVAP Monitor (cap off)
Max: -1,992.5Pa Min: -8,192Pa
Test result value: -1,992.5Pa
PASS
----
MID:$3b TID:$80
- EVAP Monitor (0.090")
Max: 887.25Pa Min: -8,192Pa
Test result value: 836.75Pa
PASS
----
MID:$3d TID:$80
- EVAP Monitor (0.020")
Max: 8,191.75Pa/s Min: -3,487Pa/s
Test result value: -1,167.5Pa/s
PASS
----
MID:$3d TID:$81
- EVAP Monitor (0.020")

--
MID:$3d TID:$82
- EVAP Monitor (0.020")

--
MID:$42 TID:$82
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 1 - Sensor 2

--
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
PASS
----
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
PASS
----
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2

--
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
PASS
----
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
PASS
----
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
PASS
----
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2

--
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
PASS
----
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
PASS
----
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
PASS
----
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2

--
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
PASS
----
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
PASS
----
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
PASS
----
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2

--
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
PASS
----

End of report.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Unless you had a power issue recently where the battery was pulled or replaced, that tells me your car is probably tuned. Time to head to the dealer for a reflash. Give them a sob story about buying it from the dealer like that and they'll probably do it for free.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
It's very difficult to tell if you're tuned. However, one easy way would be to get into 3rd gear and about 2k RPM, and floor it, hitting illegal speeds. Have a passenger with you or if your Torque app can record some logs for boost or graph boost over time?

Track the boost levels from 2k-5kRPM. Report back what you find. Factory is supposed to have an "overboost," value close to 20psi, then after a second or two, drop to 16psi or so.
Tuners like to remove the overboost, and just offer a flat boost curve of around 21-24psi PSI from 2k and up to around 5K, then taper down as you're reaching redline.

I suppose, if you were on the highway and dropped to 4th or 5th gear, and floored it, you would see the boost shoot to 21psi+ from say 50MPH to over 80MPH. Going 80 doesn't sound so terrible on a freeway marked 60/65. Then again, Chicago.. hurting for any and all tax revenue...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for advice guys!

Time to head to the dealer for a re-flash
Dealer I went to said they cannot do it and they can only do updates, which doesn't make sense. I'll try to catch another guy in same place or try different dealership later this week.

Track the boost levels from 2k-5kRPM. Report back what you find
Going to try that. I think Torque can log any parameters it can monitor, just need to set it up for that.
80MPH in fast lane is a very common sight on Chicago freeways/tollways, at least close to the city. I won't stand out at all :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boost seems to reach 20 around 3000 RPM, steady till 4800-5000, then starts dropping.

These are on 3rd gear, floored from around 2500 rpm till 6500:
2017-09-13_04h26_30.png

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Yup, that sounds like it's tuned! Boost should peak to 20'ish, but immediately drop down within a sec or two and hold steady around 16 or so PSI and then taper down from there IIRC.

Now the question would be, how to get untuned. For little to no money, if that is what you want?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thanks for advice guys!
Dealer I went to said they cannot do it and they can only do updates, which doesn't make sense. I'll try to catch another guy in same place or try different dealership later this week.
There's a reason Steeda makes an ODB port cover that says "DO NOT FLASH".
https://www.steeda.com/billet-obd-port-cover-555-1260.html

They can. You just have to talk to someone that will.

If you can, take the car to the dealer you bought it from and tell them the car won't pass inspection because they sold you a non compliant car. If you threaten to report them for selling you a noncompliant car to the EPA< that should get them in gear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, priority now would be to get it untuned to simply pass the emissions test ASAP(I only have a couple of weeks left to renew registration). After that - we'll see if i'd be happy with stock tune, I don't track the car, but I do floor it pretty often (within reasonable limit of course) and it would be a shame if it started to feel "weaker".

take the car to the dealer you bought it from and tell them the car won't pass inspection because they sold you a non compliant car
Do you know if it's technically possible to prove when the tune was applied? I just wonder if system logs are detailed enough to be able to tell that car was sold to me with non-standard tune and was not reflashed while I owned it. Otherwise they can just claim I tuned it myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, in short, PCM re-flash helped. Emissions test passed.

A bit more details: dealer didn't want to do re-flash for free, wanted to charge ~$130 and they were not confident it's required despite the backstory. Instead they offered to do 'emissions diagnostics', which is the same price and if it would require PCM re-flash, they'll do it for free. This worked for me, since I didn't need the car for daily commute. They ended up trying to diagnose the car for several days (trying to do all same things that I did already basically: do a driving cycle; do codes reset and do driving cycle, etc. ). Ended up not knowing what the problem is and contacting Ford hotline, who finally told them that programming was likely messed with and car need a PCM re-flash. Cost: ~$130.
BTW, after re-flash, it took just a few miles of calm driving on non-congested freeway to get all the monitors cleared (except Evap, but that expected, it cleared the next day).

Couldn't notice change in performance yet, but i didn't do same rigorous testing as before...

·
Registered
463 Posts
So, in short, PCM re-flash helped. Emissions test passed.

A bit more details: dealer didn't want to do re-flash for free, wanted to charge ~$130 and they were not confident it's required despite the backstory. Instead they offered to do 'emissions diagnostics', which is the same price and if it would require PCM re-flash, they'll do it for free. This worked for me, since I didn't need the car for daily commute. They ended up trying to diagnose the car for several days (trying to do all same things that I did already basically: do a driving cycle; do codes reset and do driving cycle, etc. ). Ended up not knowing what the problem is and contacting Ford hotline, who finally told them that programming was likely messed with and car need a PCM re-flash. Cost: ~$130.
BTW, after re-flash, it took just a few miles of calm driving on non-congested freeway to get all the monitors cleared (except Evap, but that expected, it cleared the next day).

Couldn't notice change in performance yet, but i didn't do same rigorous testing as before...
Badda bing. Knew it cause I had the same issue and my tuner avoided my questions when I couldn't pass smog. Long story short, he's no longer my tuner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts