Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a black 2016 ST3 that I want to personalize a bit. I have connections with a sign shop that is going to give me a great deal on some personalized decals, but I am curios to know if anyone has had issues with the paint fading. I just don't want to put this decal on my car, then if I ever decided to sell it, it has a big shadow where the decal used to be. Thanks for your advice!

-Mark

17966432_10210988117473150_3875357352433181779_o.jpg

·
Registered
830 Posts
that's going to be tough. anytime you cover the paint up you risk it looking different when you take it off. All depends on if you keep your car inside all the time, or if it sits outside in the weather. either way it will eventually look different it will just take a lot longer if your car isn't exposed to the elements all the time.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
all decals directly on the paint will not match the rest of the paint after X years ... where X is based on sun exposure and cleaning methods. Most decals / exterior vinyl is good for 3-5 years, and you can bet based on living in an area with weather like Utah, you will see difference in the paint.

Reactions: Fuxalt

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
you will see difference in the paint.
especially since its a black car and black paint shows imperfections easier than any other color. I'd imagine that the protected paint under the sticker will show just from the micro scratches and swirl marks from normal car washings alone

·
Registered
165 Posts
Some proper bull**** answers here. Maybe 20 years ago when paint protection was nothing like it is today you would see paint fading, but paint DOES NOT fade unless you have cut and polished the clear coat protection down to zero microns thick. And more so, even then the fading might occur on large flat surfaces like hood and roof, not sides or rear.
If you take good care of your paint and wash it yourself properly you'll see very minimal scratches. Unfortunately some folks are lazy and let others wash their cars or take it to drive through washes.
Just put the decals on man. And if there is ever a major difference in places where decals were, you can easily polish it out.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
^^^ I am more on this side of things. I had roof rack protection vinyl down on my Passat for like 4 years, when I took it all off it looked the same. I parked my car outside in Raleigh NC everyday it NEVER went inside. Also have had stickers on the back of my truck for a few years that when peeled off didn't look any different.

Reactions: ibzmark and FourD

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Some proper bull**** answers here. Maybe 20 years ago when paint protection was nothing like it is today you would see paint fading, but paint DOES NOT fade unless you have cut and polished the clear coat protection down to zero microns thick. And more so, even then the fading might occur on large flat surfaces like hood and roof, not sides or rear.
If you take good care of your paint and wash it yourself properly you'll see very minimal scratches. Unfortunately some folks are lazy and let others wash their cars or take it to drive through washes.
A little misinformation mixed in here as well. :p I know this is a tender spot for some of us here but a good car wash place has no ill effect on the paint. My wife has had several cars with paint that looked as good as new after having them run through Auto Bell twice a month for their entire life. We normally keep her cars at least ten years, but her last car was 16 years old and never had scratches or swirl marks.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Just put the decals on man. And if there is ever a major difference in places where decals were, you can easily polish it out.
but you forget that there are few people that actually care about their cars the same way that some of us do, and with black paint will see loads of swirls and surface marring over the life time of their vehicles. Sure he will have the option to polish it out..
Also, in places with more fall out (steel or iron plants, rails, concrete facilities, ect) will see dramatically more wear on paint then in other locations... let alone the hardcore saltings of the north, but I cant speak for winters in Utah nor the salt use there. You should see some of the black cars out here in PA, it looks like they wet sanded the whole car it so bad... but most of those folks ARE the ones taking it through poor quality drive thru washers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts