Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I was trying to decide whether or not to buy new wheels for my ST. I saw potential in the factory premium wheels, but did not want the plasti dip look, and did not want the finish to be non-removable if I had used spray paint. I figured I'd try to vinyl wrap them so that I could have something both glossy and removable. I ordered a roll for around $60 and here are the results. Each wheel took around 45min to do. The vinyl was incredibly easy to work with and the finish looks awesome. The company said the vinyl wrap on wheels, if properly installed, should last up to 5 years or so. Anyways, have a look.

20160524_150312.jpg

20160524_154803.jpg

20160524_154647.jpg

View attachment downloadfile-11.jpg

View attachment downloadfile-8.jpg

*** I accidentally posted this in the electronic section also, so admins you can delete that thread if you want

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just used one big circular cutout of vinyl for the whole wheel. I used a hobby knife to trim the excess. I've driven the car for hours in 1-2 95 degree days we've had recently and all appears to be well with the wrap.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ha!

This is exactly what was I thinking of doing. Not the wrap, but finding an economical way of getting rid of some of the chrome. But leaving the lip chrome for aesthetics and longevity of finish (lip probably being the area where most wear would occur).
But now that I know how it looks (million times better), I got to do this!

Powder coat would have been too expensive. Plastic dip - no. Spray paint - no. So I just decided F' it.

Looks great, especially with the lip chrome! Classy and mean.

Anyone have ideas on murdering just the inner chrome?

Dcoy
1) link to wrap distributor
2) wheel off while installing?
3) how did you get the perfect circle cutout for lip?
4) do you think matte black would be better for imperfections of install? Or would gloss be better? Want to go matte, but if gloss makes for cleaner install...
5) do you think the wrap will hold if I just did the inner chrome? Lazy. But, might be harder to get cutouts perfect for those shapes. Was thinking matte for two tone look.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks. Excited lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They look fantastic! I'd get some black lugs to finish it up.

I do wonder how long it will actually last. Powdercoating is pretty affordable in comparison to getting new quality wheels though, so if they do show wear, its a good option. I would never trust myself with a rattlecan.

·
Registered
597 Posts
So the other day I was trying to decide whether or not to buy new wheels for my ST. I saw potential in the factory premium wheels, but did not want the plasti dip look, and did not want the finish to be non-removable if I had used spray paint. I figured I'd try to vinyl wrap them so that I could have something both glossy and removable. I ordered a roll for around $60 and here are the results. Each wheel took around 45min to do. The vinyl was incredibly easy to work with and the finish looks awesome. The company said the vinyl wrap on wheels, if properly installed, should last up to 5 years or so. Anyways, have a look.

View attachment 132805

View attachment 132806

View attachment 132807

View attachment 132808

View attachment 132809

*** I accidentally posted this in the electronic section also, so admins you can delete that thread if you want
i might have a wrap shop do my spokes in gun metal and leave the lip like this...looks mean as hell

·
Registered
120 Posts
NECRO!!!....lol.

Honestly that looks really good. Years ago I had Tenzo R DC6 ver. 2 wheels on my Civic Si and they has the same color scheme; Black with the machined lip. Got so many compliments on those wheels. I might have to do this with mine. Would really like a red lip on mine though since my car is Magnetic color.

·
Registered
597 Posts
NECRO!!!....lol.

Honestly that looks really good. Years ago I had Tenzo R DC6 ver. 2 wheels on my Civic Si and they has the same color scheme; Black with the machined lip. Got so many compliments on those wheels. I might have to do this with mine. Would really like a red lip on mine though since my car is Magnetic color.
Red pin stripe tape maybe? ;)

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
NECRO!!!....lol.

You can get red RimSavers:
https://www.rimbladesusa.com/

I’m considering getting the black ones to hide the machined circumference on my dildo wheels

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
neat product but wondering about high heat braking temps (melt?) and inclement weather/road conditions (fall off?)

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Definitely are my concerns as well. I am trying to do a bit of research on these now. If I can get the time...lol.
keep us posted on what you find!

·
Registered
121 Posts
What size sheet did you order to cover all 4?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Well did a little bit of reading around at a few places. Looks like these are good for show but not any real kind of driving. Bummer.
oh well, it was worth a shot... :popped out:

·
Registered
563 Posts
There's always Superwrap vinyl spray that is made specifically for it... I did it on mine and so far they seem to be holding up to salt and winter

·
Registered
40 Posts
Definitely makes the premium wheels look better. I tried to do this, but it was definitely harder than it looked. Had too many screw ups on my first wheel, so I abandoned the idea. If I were going to do it again, I'd try the spray stuff; but that's just me. Of all of the things I'm good at with cars, vinyl wrapping is not one of my highlights, lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts