Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, first post here.
Some information for you:
I'm at 51k kms, in Canada. Bought it Jan. 2017, and I have the TriCare Ultimate warranty (with powertrain) for 6 years or 180k kms.

I just noticed the left lowbeam and highbeam lamp is burnt out at the same time and I checked fuses, none have popped. I got no fault indicator in the car, nothing saying I have a burnt out headlight. I pulled the whole assembly off with T30 torx screws and checked the connection, and it seemed like there was dust so I blew it out, plugged it in and still didnt work. HID bulbs are supposed to last 2000-3000 hours and I rarely do nighttime driving, so the bulb shouldn't be burnt out yet. Also quick note I've never done any mods regarding the lighting system. Also I swapped the working bulb on my passenger side to test, it worked good so I know it probably isnt the ballast, but unfortunately I didnt test the highbeams when I swapped the bulbs.

I'm at a loss here, I have no idea what to do, whether it's the ballast that popped my bulb(s) or if it just went out because of wear and tear.

The stealership wants $309 CAD without tax for a new D3S bulb. I found (I think) the proper bulb on amazon (OSRAM Xenarc Classic Xenon Car Headlight Bulb D3S (Single) 66340CLC, Bulbs - Amazon Canada) made my OSRAM but the part numbers dont match up. Here are the specs I got from the dealership on the bulb:
Part no. 7L7Z13NO21A
Wattage: 35W
Manufacturer: OSRAM XENARC

So my questions are:
1. Are 2016 ST3 headlamps bi-xenon or xenon?
2. If they are xenon, what bulb is the highbeam, and does that mean I need to buy one D3S and one highbeam bulb?(Knowing lowbeam is D3S)
3. Where can I find the proper replacement bulb, that doesnt cost an arm and a leg?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is frustrating me greatly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The D3s bulb handles both the high and low beam.

The bulb you listed would be a, pretty close match to the OEM bulb.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,988 Posts

The shutter inside the assembly is the "high beam" bulbs are like any other device. They are subject heat, vibration, and mechanical failure. There's a lot of options out there, but I would caution you to change everything in a set, whither it's Halogens or HID's.

J

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The D3s bulb handles both the high and low beam.

The bulb you listed would be a, pretty close match to the OEM bulb.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Ah okay, so bi-xenon bulbs. Thank you. Yeah I thought that was a close match to the bulb, I know realistically I could probably put any D3S bulb in there but I'd like to keep it as close to OEM as possible.

View attachment 380761
View attachment 380762

The shutter inside the assembly is the "high beam" bulbs are like any other device. They are subject heat, vibration, and mechanical failure. There's a lot of options out there, but I would caution you to change everything in a set, whither it's Halogens or HID's.

J
Thank you for the advice, I was thinking about whether to replace just the one bulb or both bulbs. I will definitely replace both now.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Its usually adivisable to buy hid bulbs in pairs, a brand new bulb vs used will have different color. For the price, i would be looking at the CBI's:

A bit more detail about the bulb here:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its usually adivisable to buy hid bulbs in pairs, a brand new bulb vs used will have different color. For the price, i would be looking at the CBI's:

A bit more detail about the bulb here:
Thank you for the recommendation, do you happen to know if the Cool Blue Intense bulb requires an upgraded ballast, or will the original OEM ballast provide enough power? I read that article, and from my understanding it should work but you seem well informed.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Thank you for the recommendation, do you happen to know if the Cool Blue Intense bulb requires an upgraded ballast, or will the original OEM ballast provide enough power? I read that article, and from my understanding it should work but you seem well informed.
they are 35w bulbs just the same as stock. I have been running them in my ST for that last couple of years, no issues. Just a whiter and brighter bulb than stock

1 - 8 of 8 Posts