Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I didn't want to play Tetris with the cars. So I drove the ST even with it being a colder morning. My goodness are the F1s bricks in the colder or what? There was ZERO give in them. I love how the perform in warm weather however, I filled the daily up with gas. I'm prepared to drive it tomorrow since it will be another cold morning / day. It will be the first time driving my Forester since I bought the ST 2 weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
What's your temp where you are? Around here they aren't much good at freezing and below. I switched to all-seasons.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in the KC area it was 29-30 this morning 34-36 this afternoon. I've driven Summer only tires before in colder weather but nothing has been as harsh as these F1s

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I will most likely never have snow / winter tires. This car for me won't be driven in the winter really. I have a daily and want to keep the miles off the ST.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
DO NOT USE THE F1's IN COLD WEATHER!! Besides having no grip, the tires are so stiff, that they will crack, causing even further degradation of the wheel's lifespan..

·
Registered
462 Posts
F1's are a fantastic rubber, but as all the others are saying, they are no good in the cold.

I took mine off and put All-Seaons on, and found a second set of rims for the F1s.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm in Michigan and run winters (obviously). I'm nervous because I'm getting ready to take a cross-country road trip. I just put the F1's back on because there's no way I'd be able to sell my winter tires at my destination (Arizona). Here's to hoping I get some warmer weather for the ride down.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Learned that lesson twice, the people who try to use the F1s in the cold anyway despite these warnings (OP you aren't included in this category yet lol) are just endangering others on the road at that point. They suck at stopping, they suck at going, they suck at tireing below 40. Ditched them really quickly once fall hit and got cold in the AM

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry, but I don't buy all the crap about how bad F1's are in the cold. I also don't buy they are unsafe and going to kill people if you use them below 40 degs. To me, the reason the tire companies say not to use them is because if it is below 40 degs there is a chance that it could snow and then you would be in trouble. F1 do suck in snow. I have used F1's in 10 deg F temps with no problems. They are hard as rocks for the first mile and they don't have as much grip as they do in the summer but that is it. I run studded snows most of the winter and F1's have WAY more traction on dry pavement in cold temps then studded snows.

·
Registered
816 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I drove my ST on the F1s anytime snow was not forecast. Several times below freezing. Drove carefully and didn't push it. Also got 50,000 miles out of them. Replaced them with the FI all seasons so I can drive like an idiot all the time. The all seasons squeal more when I get on it too hard (the F1s would spin, just quietly), otherwise I see little difference as a daily driver. And if the forecast is wrong and it snows, I'm not screwed.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yea the whole you are endangering people thing is a bit much, the tires will breakdown much faster and have degraded performance but most people make it out to be the same as driving or a radial or slick in the rain, which it isn't.

I've lived in MD my whole life and never really had a set of winter tires or wheels, same for the ST, this year and last I drove on "Summer" tires.

Now I am lucky in that I don't have to go to the office or drive if the weather is bad so that helps my case, I also have an SUV to drive if I really need to get anywhere. If i had to drive more in bad weather I would likely get a set of Winter tires so that I won't get stuck though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
so now my question is, which summer tires are best in cold weather condition?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts