Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to hear the experience of anyone who has installed a Quaife LSD in their Focus ST. I can understand the potential benefits in terms of
maintaining traction and limiting wheel spin, but does it work well with the ST's brake-driven torque vectoring? For anyone who drives on track, have
you found your brakes to run cooler?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Short answer yes. If you improve traction, you'll reduce the need for the torque vectoring.

Will it make your brakes run cooler? That is an impossible question to fully answer. Way too many variables with tire choice, rotors, pads, etc. The basics must always be followed when tracking. proper fluid, proper pads, proper bedding, the grippiest tires you can afford, and a proper application of the brakes in braking zones... It's a stab, vs a slow application! Although, dropping coin for an Essex/AP Racking kit, larger wilwood kit, or stoptech kit; can remove a lot of variables too. Then you work towards the next weak link. Racing is cheap! :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice input - thank you. Since the torque vectoring must be contributing a good deal to heat buildup during hard driving for any particular setup, it makes logical sense that the LSD would help by virtue of giving the brakes more rest/cooling time. I'm sure I will enjoy the traction benefits and will be optimistic that it will help the brakes a bit too. Thank you, @mitch808.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It is on my list for when I'm forced to replace the clutch.

The change in handling is the real reason to do it. And yes your brakes will run cooler.
What changes? I assume you can attack out of the corner with more controllable wheel slip?

I'm going to do the engine mounts (passenger/driver) first. The torque steer is the next thing I'm trying to minimize.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The inside front wheel does not spin and you get a nice solid pull around the corner. That is until you reach the traction limit and then you get a walking to the outside under steer. In the winter you can crank in steering angle and nail the throttle at the same time and wheel spin all the way around and limit the under steer with the throttle. Now that I have more power I can almost do it on dry pavement with the summer tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts