Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to post for anyone who is thinking about paint protection.
I was initially on the fence, not knowing if it was really worth the time and money or not, but I went ahead and did it, and I'm VERY glad I did at this point.
My ST is over 4 years old now, and I can say that I don't have a single rock chip. Yes, for real.
I've been happy enough with it that I also did the wife's Lincoln when we got it. It has saved the car from multiple incidents with who knows what... I can see the scars on the coating if I'm waxing and look real close, but zero damage to the paint underneath.
I had one complaint about it, and that is when I was washing the car once, I allowed the wiper blade to slam into the hood and it left a black mark on the Expel covering, and it won't come out. It'll come off if I ever peel off the covering, but it seems like it stained it somehow. I've been reluctant to use anything harsh on it, being afraid odd chemicals may react with the material.
I had the front bumper, complete hood, headlights, A-pillars, mirrors, and roof leading edge all covered when new.
Some pics for fun:

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Grille Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Still looking good....

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Window

At any rate, I can't recommend the stuff enough.
I have no experience with the other brands, but the Expel stuff is awesome.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I purchased my ST new from a Ford dealership in 2018 and before letting me leave they tried selling me all sorts of stuff, from performance parts to extended warranties. One of the offerings was Paint Protection Film (PPF) not sure what brand as it was about 10% the cost of the car, but sometimes I wish I had done it (or the equivalent). I do not follow close behind other vehicles, and I drive with an awareness of the ease in which rocks damage the paint on these cars, but I still have more chips on this car than any other car I have ever owned.

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST1
110 Posts
Nice follow-up, Funky. It's always good to hear some real world, long term experience with products like this. The ST I bought used a few months ago (also HPR like yours) came with Xpel on the leading 1/3 of the hood and fender tips and also on the headlights. While the protected area of the hood -- and the rest of the hood, really, along with the headlights -- still look very good, the unprotected front bumper is showing some scars and scuffs if you get up close. Too late to protect it now so I'm just not going to worry about it, may get it resprayed some time down the road, but for now, I guess it's just one less thing to fret over.

But yeah, the stuff works as advertised. I've self-applied the 3M hood and fender kits to a few other cars I've owned and got pretty good results, all while saving many hundreds of dollars. I'd never attempt a full hood and front-end on my own though. Just applying the front 1/3 of the hood is hard enough, though I have had good results as you get better at it each time you do it. I've also custom cut some of the 3M and applied it to contact areas on my motorcycles, works great for that.

I'd sure like to watch a pro apply the full front end like on your car just to see how they manage to get it so perfect.

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST3 (Black)
147 Posts
How long is this PPF expected to last before having to be reapplied? What kind of numbers would be expected to do this DIY vs professional?

I read up some on it, seen some videos, brand defenitly has a quality range to the stuff offered and then the skill in applying it correctly is there too.

I am up to do a tune next on my car, but after that I think I want to do a full paint correction and on the fence with a ceramic coating vs PPF. The self healing qualities and literal layer of protection seem great, but the costs are all over the place when I try and look it up.

Looks amaaaaazing by the way! Showroom fresh off the line quality!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
How long is this PPF expected to last before having to be reapplied? What kind of numbers would be expected to do this DIY vs professional?

I read up some on it, seen some videos, brand defenitly has a quality range to the stuff offered and then the skill in applying it correctly is there too.

I am up to do a tune next on my car, but after that I think I want to do a full paint correction and on the fence with a ceramic coating vs PPF. The self healing qualities and literal layer of protection seem great, but the costs are all over the place when I try and look it up.

depends on brand, 3-5-10yrs. Here is a great story on the topic. Project IS-F gets an Amazing Facelift with Wicked Auto Detailing - MotoIQ

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'm not positive about the manufacturer, but the place I got mine done guarantees it for 10 years. Obviously, this doesn't cover physical damage, but it wont discolor, peel, or anything like that and they'll fix it for free if it does.
I've had a couple of very small issues with the edges because I had all the edges "wrapped" under... I can't STAND stuff that traps wax or dirt, so I wanted them under the panels wherever possible. They took care of that in short order and didn't even ask questions. Keep in mind they also told me when I wanted all the edges wrapped that they do tend to come loose sometimes and to expect a little of that, so it's not like I wasn't warned. Regardless, they fix it for free if it happens.
I'm trying to remember now, but I think it cost me right around 1400 total for the full front bumper, headlights, full hood, roof leading edge, mirrors, and A-pillars. Pretty much everything in the wind stream.

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Mines warrantied for 10 years, xpel comes with a 10 year warranty when professionally installed.
If you highway drive it’s worth it, it can be expensive. Mine was $2100 all together. Most of that is labor cost so it will vary greatly depending on where you’re from.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts