Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running Ford Racing springs with Bilstein B8's for 4+ years and over 50K miles. Recently I started noticing that the car seems to sit lower than it used to, especially at the front. The ride feels more harsh too, though it might have something to do with our crappy Illinois roads... I didn't take any ride height measurements back when springs were new, so can't really compare the numbers. So, question is - how long do the springs usually last, particularly lowering springs? Is it expected to get lower ride height and more rough ride with time?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Springs last more than 5 years, so I'd be looking at your shocks rather than the springs.

·
Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
I've been running Ford Racing springs with Bilstein B8's for 4+ years and over 50K miles. Recently I started noticing that the car seems to sit lower than it used to, especially at the front. The ride feels more harsh too, though it might have something to do with our crappy Illinois roads... I didn't take any ride height measurements back when springs were new, so can't really compare the numbers. So, question is - how long do the springs usually last, particularly lowering springs? Is it expected to get lower ride height and more rough ride with time?
Shocks/Struts will not effect your ride height, that would be springs. Springs would not have much effect on deteriorating ride quality, that would probably be the dampers. Bilsteins are pretty much bullet proof, but, well warrantied if the need rebuilding.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Shocks/Struts will not effect your ride height, that would be springs.
I think you'll find that gas charged shocks/struts do affect ride height and Bilsteins are gas charged. Shocks are always more of a wear item than springs unless the springs are defective.

·
Super Moderator
6,550 Posts
I think you'll find that gas charged shocks/struts do affect ride height and Bilsteins are gas charged. Shocks are always more of a wear item than springs unless the springs are defective.
I have had gas shocks blow out and never lost ride height, but, I always run fairly stiff springs.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys. I'll be taking it to shop in the near future - the front has recently started to make clicking noise, most likely the strut bearing. Will have my mechanic inspect the shocks too.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I put truck air shocks in the back of an '84 Subaru wagon and they jacked the rear up to give it a distinct raked look and, when overloaded with weight, kept the ride height neutral rather than sagging like they would with the original shocks. I've had springs last hundreds of thousands of miles (outlasting three sets of struts and maybe a top hat or three) and they're pretty resilient in general, so I doubt it's the springs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts